Minor complaints thread (16 Viewers)

Sorry for catsplaining - cats get really, really bad press which leads to their abandonment, abuse, and deaths. Cats are extremely clean, self-sufficient and friendly creatures when treated right. I've had Noodle ten years and she has never, ever bitten or scratched me even under extreme stress.

Sorry for catsplaining - cats get really, really bad press which leads to their abandonment, abuse, and deaths. Cats are extremely clean, self-sufficient and friendly creatures when treated right. I've had Noodle ten years and she has never, ever bitten or scratched me even under extreme stress.
I've had this guy about three months. Prior to that I had two siblings for over 15 years. They didn't scar me ..at least not physically

I don't know, while I fully agree you can train cats and definitely should follow those tips (the hand aren't toys one especially!!) I do think it varies from cat to cat, depending on their personality and circumstances. Some cats express themselves with love bites, for example, which is normal.

Also, training well is dependant on getting them very young, which a lot of rescues won't be. One of my cats was very very sick as a kitten, and developed a tendancy to scratch and bite when over-stimualted because he was in so much pain at the time that what wouldbe a normal pet for his sister-kitten might be what put him over the edge. Its something no amount of training will take out of him now as an adult, so we've learned his cues. I think really, thats the key! Learning to understand your cats behaviour and realise that if they are persistantly scratching or biting, then you're overstepping their specific boundaries and comfort levels and sometimes its you that needs to adjust. Some cats just are not tactile, for example, while some want to be petted and sit in your lap all day long.

Now obvs I'm playing devils advocate too, because of course I do agree with all your points in general cases :)

My brother's cat is a dickhead who hates being petted except when she is in control. I MAY FORCE YOUR HAND TO PET ME, YOU MAY NOT MOVE YOUR HAND OF ITS OWN ACCORD.

Ah she's cool though.

I don't know, while I fully agree you can train cats and definitely should follow those tips (the hand aren't toys one especially!!) I do think it varies from cat to cat, depending on their personality and circumstances. Some cats express themselves with love bites, for example, which is normal.

Also, training well is dependant on getting them very young, which a lot of rescues won't be. One of my cats was very very sick as a kitten, and developed a tendancy to scratch and bite when over-stimualted because he was in so much pain at the time that what wouldbe a normal pet for his sister-kitten might be what put him over the edge. Its something no amount of training will take out of him now as an adult, so we've learned his cues. I think really, thats the key! Learning to understand your cats behaviour and realise that if they are persistantly scratching or biting, then you're overstepping their specific boundaries and comfort levels and sometimes its you that needs to adjust. Some cats just are not tactile, for example, while some want to be petted and sit in your lap all day long.

Now obvs I'm playing devils advocate too, because of course I do agree with all your points in general cases :)
Well I think this is the key and the point I'm making - if a cat is consistently biting and scratching its owner, they might not really know the cat very well, as they should, after having them for say 2 years, know what will trigger them to go into a bite or scratch response. If my kitty is biting me every time I put my hand out, she's afraid of hands and it's my job to start building positive associations with smells, toys, food, etc. Some cats will never want human touch. Its up to us to read and respect that.

If definitely varies - if a cat has PTSD, for example. Also yes, much easier to train from kitten age.

They can't be trained like a dog, but they can be taught habits that they will respond to.

And love bites are cute and not actual bites! Noodle gives me a little painless warning "bite" when she's had enough petting. I know then she's had enough and to stop. Actual bites are HELLA SORE.

I save my scorn for those actual real-life grownups who still think you can't like both cats and dogs. Arrested mental development and proud of it :rolleyes:
I don't mind people not being fond of any animal, but people calling a living being "disgusting" or "gross" to me is extremely disrespectful and immature.

My main thing is people spreading misinformation about cats - that they're aggressive, dirty, sly or mean. It's just.....not true.

Last edited:
Anyway, in a kitty update, Mew Mew still won't allow me anywhere near her and hisses at me when I walk by in slippers. She has, however, started sleeping at the foot of my bed! She so wants affection but is like HELL NO DON'T TOUCH ME. I did hand feed her on Monday which was a great trust-building exercise. I had to sit there for 20 minutes still as a post until she finally approached and ate out of my palm.

They can't be trained like a dog, but they can be taught habits that they will respond to.

This is probably the key.

I save my scorn for those actual real-life grownups who still think you can't like both cats and dogs. Arrested mental development and proud of it :rolleyes:

It’s not that I think you can’t like both.
I am just inclined to not really like cats from the get-go. My experience has been:
95% negative cat encounters.
That’s partially down to bad training and partially down to what I actually think about them...

I don't mind people not being fond of any animal, but people calling a living being "disgusting" or "gross" to me is extremely disrespectful and immature.

My main thing is people spreading misinformation about cats - that they're aggressive, dirty, sly or mean. It's just.....not true.

.....It’s not that I think they’re sly or dirty or mean. I just generally speaking am not a fan of them and have mostly found them to be dickheads.
Occasionally you meet a true gent of a cat.
The real exception.
Not just in terms of affection but just being very well behaved.

Not all cats are bastards. Just most of the ones I’ve met.

Anyway, in a kitty update, Mew Mew still won't allow me anywhere near her and hisses at me when I walk by in slippers. She has, however, started sleeping at the foot of my bed! She so wants affection but is like HELL NO DON'T TOUCH ME. I did hand feed her on Monday which was a great trust-building exercise. I had to sit there for 20 minutes still as a post until she finally approached and ate out of my palm.

Training sounds hard. No wonder most owners don’t properlybother with it

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back