Minor complaints thread (28 Viewers)

Listen, I'm not saying music journalism should be bare bones and fact-fact-fact at ALL, actually the contrary. My point was more about hyperbole and the tendency towards exagerrating everything in terms of langauge. I think it means that we're not really properly critical of anything. I mentioned journalism more in passing/

This review is awful for a different reason. Falls more into the annoying habit that a lot of music journalism has of wanting t.o contextualize everything into GENRE, A, GENRE B, while rejecting the zeitgeist of GENRE C, influenced by BAND 1 and BAND 2.
This is such a beautiful, life affirming, wonderful, gorgeous piece of prose. Girl, you are just BAE and completely 100. You are rocking it. You do you. This is your year. GET IT. Loved your seminal work. GAGGING.

Fucking POP PUNK. Did she even listen to the album. Christ. POP production doesn't make it pop punk SWEETHEART.

For me the weirdest part of that review is...

"The variety in tone and arrangements illustrate an obvious appreciation and knowledge of the influences that define their sound."

What the hell does that even mean?
"This band have listened to their favourite bands enough so that they understand how to sound like them" but yet somehow given positive spin.

Weird.

The word "seminal" being used all over the place on social media and in journalism to describe things that are really not seminal. Same with "genius", its so overused and throwaway that it doesn't mean anything anymore and my brain goes AGHHHHHH.
Every reissue is a seminal recording, every reformed band a legend.

How many music journalists do you think give even one full listen,Never mind have a reasonable knowledge of music across genres and the history of.
When I used to write for Brainwashed I used to try and do three full listens, one on headphones and one at high volume on speakers at least.

For me the weirdest part of that review is...

"The variety in tone and arrangements illustrate an obvious appreciation and knowledge of the influences that define their sound."

What the hell does that even mean?
"This band have listened to their favourite bands enough so that they understand how to sound like them" but yet somehow given positive spin.

Weird.
I'd REALLY prefer for her to call us derivative and drag us.

I'd REALLY prefer for her to call us derivative and drag us.

At least that would kind of make sense following a comment like that but she actually seemed to like you. Well, as much as tell from that non-review.

Also, after many, many years, it has only now dawned on me who @jonah is! Scarleh for me ma.

When I used to write for Brainwashed I used to try and do three full listens, one on headphones and one at high volume on speakers at least.

But even that is not that much at all.

Music reviews,espicailly these days,are more a case of "oh that exists" rather than if it is good or bad.

At least that would kind of make sense following a comment like that but she actually seemed to like you. Well, as much as tell from that non-review.

Also, after many, many years, it has only now dawned on me who @jonah is! Scarleh for me ma.
Exactly. I just find it quite bizarre, I'm not sure if she loved it, hated it, or just doesn't really know what she thinks! Odd one.

We've had very good experiences where people who have reviewed us have absolutely nailed it. We're spoiled!

But even that is not that much at all.

Music reviews,espicailly these days,are more a case of "oh that exists" rather than if it is good or bad.
It's not a lot compared to having and owning an album for years but it was enough for me to feel like I'd engaged with it. Usually I'd do my write-up doing one more listen through and I'd normally write 500 words, maybe 1000 words sometimes depending on the album. I'd read up on the artist if I wasn't familiar with them, I'd go back to other albums if I had them (and they weren't ones I knew particularly well), and I'd try and contextualise, critique, and give an honest opinion of what I thought of the music. Which I don't think is bad given that I was usually writing to a deadline.

Besides, being an expert in a particular genre is only one way of approaching a review. Fairly sure i've read some excellent reviews written by people who had no interest in listening to the music.

Besides, being an expert in a particular genre is only one way of approaching a review. Fairly sure i've read some excellent reviews written by people who had no interest in listening to the music.
the best review ever remains eamon sweeney's review of stiltskin: this album is so bad i didn't even listen to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back