Minor complaints thread (13 Viewers)

i went from NIB (who had good online banking) to PTSB, who despite fucking up the account transfer from NIB, have a good online banking option too.

I never had a bank account until 2018 when I was 42.
I had P.O. account since I was seven and a credit union account since 1993, I think.

from 1993 I regularly bought stuff (usually records and zines plus the odd book) through the mail using cash or post office Sterling drafts cheques.
I would mostly I got the $ from the Credit Union or post office.
I wrapped up the cash put it in an envelope with my letter and mailed it. sometime I would register the letter - just as a deterrent.

one of favourite stories involved insuring a letter which never arrived in Germany it contained the most cash I had ever sent (about $200). Money wasn't covered by An Post but I neglected to mention it was cash and they paid out.

the safest part of the transaction is sending the money by mail (very rarely went wrong) and the most dangerous is then as now, the package being stolen.

in 2002 the Euro arrived which was handy and after Iraq was destroyed mail began to get too expensive to buy stuff from outside Europe and I have very rarely done that since 2009.

But in it's day sending cash was the only option and it worked well.
I sent cash to most countries in Europe, most States in the USA, Canada, Japan, Malaysia, Brazil, Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador, Peru, Australia,...
I did this hundreds of times with few problems - other than it was slower.

beginning in 2000 I noticed some folks going online and by 2009 or 2010 my cash in mail era was nearly over.

so about 9 years ago I went into a bank and asked what ID I needed to open an account.

- photo ID
- mobile phone
- utility bill with name on it (but was later told it had to be dated within 6 months and gov. health dept. or Social Welfare letter would also suffice).

I had none of these things. legislation from about 20 years ago to combat money laundering increased the level of ID security.
and I couldn't find my birth cert which was dangerously easy to get a copy of if you someone's date of birth, where someone was born and their mother's name.

now a lot of bands, labels etc. tell me they get little feedback on their work because people don't write to them.

so there you have it, everything is really quick and if there's a problem it is very difficult to fix.
and how we communicate has changed a lot, in some ways for the worse.
Feck banks.

Banks used to be ridiculously insecure. In the early 90s a flatmate of mine went to Australia for a year, leaving his atm card with me to withdraw his last month's rent from his bank account. I lost the pin, so I just went into the bank, said I was him, and withdrew the money
ha ha! that's great they need to back to that.

if someone wanted to get control of a BOI account from my experience they would need:

- the account holder's phone
- the info on the credit/debit card
- date of birth
- last transaction details
- account number
- 8 digit ID number for online app
- 6 digit pin number for online app
- 4 digit code for hole in the wall

unless I authorise someone, it's impossible for them to have access to all this.

why are banks so reluctant to use email? if you ask them to send you something and they mark it properly what can go wrong?
we are paying for the sins of gullible eejits who probably listen to Liveline.

I got a 'Happy Christmas' email from BOI!!
I deleted it without looking at it, the same as any unsolicited email.

Banks used to be ridiculously insecure. In the early 90s a flatmate of mine went to Australia for a year, leaving his atm card with me to withdraw his last month's rent from his bank account. I lost the pin, so I just went into the bank, said I was him, and withdrew the money

The most absolutely most massive culture shock of culture shocks when England happened to me was the deplorable state of customer service of banks.

Literally, the staff at McDonalds have more training. And I'm not knocking McDonalds staff. But I like my own time and money more than I like burgers.

I would try to explain to colleagues that back home you need a degree to work in a bank. But they couldn't understand, they were British, or from somewhere post-soviet. Just basically "banks are shit", without any thoughts as to why.

The local bank here genuinely looked more like a mental institution than anything else. And I worked in a psychiatric hospital before I landed here.

So going back to what egg_ said, maybe the person you dealt with just actually knew how to be a person who works in a bank and was really good at it.

What's my point. RE online stuff, yeah I can imagine there's room for improvement.

my dad was a bank manager. used to come home with great stories in the 80s and 90s about armed robberies which always seemed to happen to other people.
one lad (he babysat me a few times) was a manager or assistant manager in a branch which was held up by a lad with a sawn off shotgun. as he ran out the door, the getaway car driver ran into him by accident, broke his leg, and drove off leaving him lying in the street with the gun and the money.

View attachment 16540
finally going to retire this guy then eh?
This reminds me that I (with the help of my mother) opened an Ulster Bank account on 23/11/1984 so that I could get one of those things. I got some other great stuff too, maybe a ruler and a little folder. Well worth £1 anyway. I still have the bank book, I'm going to withdraw my savings on Monday if I haven't left it too late.

1673044433545.png

OK - phoned BOI yesterday and got debit card set up (see above).
have spent 300 Euro today after over two months of thumped debit being only transaction.

a purchase of less than 20 Euro didn't have to be approved. the 101 and 150 Euros ones did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back