Minor complaints thread (13 Viewers)

The whole structure of the property market is so fucked. Drogheda is the nearest big town to me, and they're building a(nother) new estate on the outskirts on a little country road, while half the houses/buildings in the centre of the town itself are empty/derelict. What the fuck like?

I remember on thumped circa 2007 asking simple questions like -
why were so many houses being built ? why was property so expensive when so
many houses were available ?

from the late 90's onwards the whole looked insane even at the time.
there are only fools excuses for letting this happen again.

It's what Fine Gael and Fianna Fail want. Like, take away the pandemic and this is what they want. At a fundamental level they see no issue with this, it's economics as it should be.

It's what Fine Gael and Fianna Fail want
I actually think that's what The People want. Once someone owns a house they stop moaning about high property prices, and start hoping they continue to rise*

I gave a lift to an oul lad who lives near here recently, and he was proudly pointing out all the buildings he owns in the village. All empty. I have no idea why he owns them, unless it's to brag to fellas who give him lifts

* present company excepted, naturally

I actually think that's what The People want. Once someone owns a house they stop moaning about high property prices, and start hoping they continue to rise*

I gave a lift to an oul lad who lives near here recently, and he was proudly pointing out all the buildings he owns in the village. All empty. I have no idea why he owns them, unless it's to brag to fellas who give him lifts

* present company excepted, naturally
Yeah, its Thatcherism personified. It can be fought though imho, it's not a natural state of being.

Argh, I'm so triggered right now.
Yeah, its Thatcherism personified. It can be fought though imho, it's not a natural state of being.

It is Thatcherism personified. Blah blah, I could go on about this for ages.

I actually came on here with a different minor complaint, but I've forgotten it now.

i've had people say to me (because we bought at the bottom) 'you must be delighted that your house is worth so much more than you paid for it' and my answer is 'well, yeah, as long as the world consists of just me and whoever will buy it at that price'.

i mean - unless we were planning to downsize massively, the rise is value is of no practical use to us. our house has gone up in value at the same time all other houses have too.

Have people learned nothing in the last 20 years?

It's like a toxic mix of begrudgery and aspirationalism and intellectual laziness. I might also suggest a rather gaudy taste for unnecessarily large country houses, but that's another thing.

i've had people say to me (because we bought at the bottom) 'you must be delighted that your house is worth so much more than you paid for it' and my answer is 'well, yeah, as long as the world consists of just me and whoever will buy it at that price'.

i mean - unless we were planning to downsize massively, the rise is value is of no practical use to us. our house has gone up in value at the same time all other houses have too.

If you ever felt like flogging everything and buying somewhere in Portugal or something it would be handy.

Although I need to shut up about moving around to other countries.

Have people learned nothing in the last 20 years?

It's like a toxic mix of begrudgery and aspirationalism and intellectual laziness. I might also suggest a rather gaudy taste for unnecessarily large country houses, but that's another thing.

Absolutely nothing. there is a deep web of aspiration/status wants/needs type drives that will either take generations or a global crisis to deprogram.

Very interesting listening to a lecture about the irish house brain a few years back about how when in urban settings people will not buy unless there is a lawn. It might be the size of a car, compltely useless as a space beyond decoration but if there isn't a grass rectangle involved irish wont touch it. they went on to try and guess how much public space a development could have if all these little squares were not bolted on and just having full house size apts.

I was in a place like this on the 'too expensive for me' part of town, like a family size gaff on the third floor in a gated park with loads of green space, trees. It was kinda class.

there's a fantastic book called 'the forgiveness of nature' by a guy called graham harvey where (among other things) he explains how lawns became entrenched as a status symbol.
it's primarily about grass/ecology though.

Absolutely nothing. there is a deep web of aspiration/status wants/needs type drives that will either take generations or a global crisis to deprogram.

Very interesting listening to a lecture about the irish house brain a few years back about how when in urban settings people will not buy unless there is a lawn. It might be the size of a car, compltely useless as a space beyond decoration but if there isn't a grass rectangle involved irish wont touch it. they went on to try and guess how much public space a development could have if all these little squares were not bolted on and just having full house size apts.

I was in a place like this on the 'too expensive for me' part of town, like a family size gaff on the third floor in a gated park with loads of green space, trees. It was kinda class.

I definitely agree with your vibe. If you can find that lecture anywhere that'd be great. Although we have had at least two global crises in the last 20 years. As intimated earlier, I do have a pull in my heart for the land, the grass and the clover. Of course everyone wants their own castle, and I'm no different.

Irish housing notions (and I intentionally say "notions" rather than something like "development" or "planning") has had me demented for decades now. And jesus when I go home.....there's no point in even trying to talk to people about it. Everyone is Bull fuckin' McCabe cum property developer. Shut up and put Gareth Brooks back on.

London though:

I would have thought that any desire for having a "lawn" (aka "a front garden") is a lot to do with it being a differentiator between high density development and "normal" houses rather than any love of the land.

London though:
my aunt in australia died last year; her house in sydney, if say in blanchardstown, would have made 400-500k i'd say (at inflated irish prices). to be fair, it was in a 'decent' part of sydney. it made AUS$2.6m, or about €1.6m.
i'm just jealous at my cousins of pocketing $400k each. though not about their mother dying, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Bladez
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back