Minor complaints thread (44 Viewers)

Turns out being a parent of a LC student is more stressful than sitting it yourself.

The leaving cert is marked on a bell curve, so there’s only so many As, Bs and Cs allowed. Normally if you are correcting a batch it’s not so bad.
You have them marked high b or low b and then count up how many at the end so you round up or down to meet the quota.
With the kids school being so small it’s trickier because it meant they had a limited number of high grades to give out, so if there were a group of really great students, some of them was screwed.
Also her friend that got higher points than her did worse in every subjects for mocks and Christmas but got higher grades in the leaving. The friend is living with her Aunt after getting kicked out by her mam and the teachers have been bringing in food and clothes for the girl so I can’t say I blame them for marking her higher. It wouldn’t have been as big a deal in a big school because they had the numbers to pad everything out but it sucks for the kid.
She’s 17 points short for her course (going on last year) so it looks like she might need to repeat in November and start next year instead.
There’s been a LOT of tears.

Is there any route like doing a 1 year plc/access/cert course that would get her on the way without her having to stall in the school system with the plebs from the year below?

We were thinking of that but you can’t use a PLC towards a course that’s over 400 points. It’ll all work out in the long run, she’s just a bit heartbroken now especially as she’s so sure she’d have gotten what she needed in an actual exam.

We were thinking of that but you can’t use a PLC towards a course that’s over 400 points. It’ll all work out in the long run, she’s just a bit heartbroken now especially as she’s so sure she’d have gotten what she needed in an actual exam.
Aren’t they running the LC exams in November for anyone who wants to do them? Or have they scrapped that?

Yeah they can resit exams in November but it means they can’t start until 2021.
It’s not the end of the world, but it’s just the way it happened. In February the teachers gave me the grades they expected her to get and they marked her down, even though she worked her ass off.

Yeah they can resit exams in November but it means they can’t start until 2021.
It’s not the end of the world, but it’s just the way it happened. In February the teachers gave me the grades they expected her to get and they marked her down, even though she worked her ass off.
That’s awful, sounds like a giant clusterfuck.

However, 17 points shy isn’t much and all bets are off as to what the CAO will look like. I saw on the news that universities are making more places available on courses to accommodate students so fingers crossed.

That Bell curve shit is unacceptable, utterly moronic system. If a subject is marked by a bell curve, and it all hinges on one exam, what happens if all the students agree to go in and just write their names on the paper and nothing else? Everyone gets 0%, but hey guess what, bell curve time! Now suddenly x% of them have the highest grade, etc etc.
Fucking nonsense system.

Sitting in Dublin airport (waiting for a flight home - long story) and there is alcohol being served with no meal. Restaurants not open but a muffin/coffee stand is and it can serve pints and bottles? WTF?

Sitting in Dublin airport (waiting for a flight home - long story) and there is alcohol being served with no meal. Restaurants not open but a muffin/coffee stand is and it can serve pints and bottles? WTF?
it's always been the wild west out there

Ok I take it all back. Not quite sure how it happened but she managed to get her first choice, so English literature and history in Trinity. Basically the Normal People degree.
It’s the one she wanted since she was about 7, and was brought to trinners on a school trip.
I kinda want to find every prick that said I’d do a shitty job raising her as I was too young, and kick em in the crotch.

Ok I take it all back. Not quite sure how it happened but she managed to get her first choice, so English literature and history in Trinity. Basically the Normal People degree.
It’s the one she wanted since she was about 7, and was brought to trinners on a school trip.
I kinda want to find every prick that said I’d do a shitty job raising her as I was too young, and kick em in the crotch.

That's great!! :)

Seriously? People said that???

Ill give them a kick with you.

I was 19 and studying in a college that was mainly aimed at priests and nuns. It could be pretty brutal at times, but it was nothing compared to trying to join parent and toddler groups. Those yummy mummies were horrible cunts.
Fuck em though. I’m 37, have a good life and kid has a bright future, and those women are probably queefing dust at this stage.
I’m totally over it though.

Delighted for the kid, delighted for you. You must be so proud, well done.

In what world do you need to pay for WiFi at a hotel these days? Also, airline forgot my gluten free meal and nothing was open at airport, so after 12 hours on a power bar and clove rock, I just spent 35 dollars on a salad (which is the only thing on the menu I can eat) and there is no shop with in miles of here. No vending machine either. HANGRY.

Amazing! Congratulations to her!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back