Minor complaints thread (22 Viewers)

Bertie 2.0

i'm a lot of things but not a dodgy, discredited Dub.

also i've never paid for anything by direct debit.
until about 2009-10 not having a credit card was no real problem but from
then on not having PayPal or a credit card meant i couldn't buy a lot of
records i wanted.
twenty years ago if you wanted a demo tape you just mailed the band $5
but when even old farts like me stopped doing that i was done for.

i had to go get a photo ID, mobile phone and letter with my name and
address from a government department (health service on my case)
before bank would talk to me.
and that didn't happen overnight.

For some reason I'm a bit sad seeing the music biz I've grown up with dying. Getting soft in my old age.
Maybe changing or evolving is a better term.

I do find it amazing that way back when, me & my older brother and a couple of mates were the only metal fans around. And we were all alone we thought. Yet we had NO idea of facts like Anthony's there, or Maiden had no. 1 albums, or Metallica played gigs to a million people. To us, we were under siege to shitty pop and shittier techno, and even shittier C&W. People thought we were literal satanists. If only we had known how normal we were.

For some reason I'm a bit sad seeing the music biz I've grown up with dying. Getting soft in my old age.
Maybe changing or evolving is a better term.

They are huge changes in fairness. Digitisation at the core of most of it. I haven't opened one of them in years, but I do read basiclaly 2-3 websites now and again.

I do find it amazing that way back when, me & my older brother and a couple of mates were the only metal fans around. And we were all alone we thought. Yet we had NO idea of facts like Anthony's there, or Maiden had no. 1 albums, or Metallica played gigs to a million people. To us, we were under siege to shitty pop and shittier techno, and even shittier C&W. People thought we were literal satanists. If only we had known how normal we were.

I only found out that piece of info about 2 years ago. What you describe is very familiar.

Thats because pretty much the entire music world is afraid of metal to the point of dismissing it at every chance.

I don't really think that is the case. More that is the myth, or the teen belief at the time. Metal is huge. It has its own radio stations, festivals, magazines. Look I know they arent contemporary but if you go up to guy in the street and ask said guy to name a metal band, they can. You ask same guy to name a jazz trio, an irish composer, a good irish harpist, a champion fiddle player and you'll get *blank expression*. Jazz is around 100 years, trad for hundred, metal in the region of 50/60. it got its own tv shows. Sure to a large extent its the soundtrack to an angry young man and at a certain point that gets tired, apparently the whole world doesnt want to listen to that for some reason, but it is and has been mainstream for quite some time now. It is not an alternative any more, its classic rock.

LOL, metal is basically the same as Gareth Brooks - both are eternally popular and both are very upset that they don't get enough respect from people they themselves have no respect for.

I understand what youre saying about naming a fiddle player etc. But given how huge metal is,it doesnt get its due.

Im certainly not upset about it,i dont like big gigs or festivals or most of what comes with being big in the mainstream music world. Its rare id like a current metal band even,so it makes no difference to me. Just noticing its rarely included.

Cant agree at all with the reaction of playing non metal to metal people.

Thats because pretty much the entire music world is afraid of metal to the point of dismissing it at every chance.
I was listening to BBC6 radio yesterday afternoon and the DJ played The Number of the Beast, after which he and celebrity scientist Brian Cox talked about being Iron Maiden fans and encounters with Bruce Dickinson. The DJ bought the LP when it came out on red vinyl. Brian Cox wondered where it was produced because the backing vocals recording sounded familiar to him.

Kids these days are all about the B.P.M, but to us it wasn't the number of the beats we cared about , it was the number of the beast.

I will work on that pun.

speaking as someone who was never into the scene, metal did seem a little tribal to me when i was younger. not in a bad way, but most of the lads i knew who were into it were *identifiably* into it, it seemed to give them a sense of belonging and they were happy to adopt all the trimmings.

it's not coincidental probably that (bar one exception) they were also the most musically talented of the lads i knew in school.

my wife also grew up in the scene, and her experience was that a metal gig was probably the safest place for a 16 or 17 year old woman to be dublin at night in the mid to late 90s.

I have never heard of this version
I think he meant the single come to think of it
s-l225.jpg

bastard mosquito bites. LOADS of them
Yep it’s the same over here. I’ve a few bad ones that will probably scar. It’s not like anyone’s going to see them anytime soon, but it’s pretty shitty.

If they have sudocream over there, a little of that on the bites will help but just be careful of your clothes.
Garlic vinegar is good too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• S
  • dudley
  • Unicron
  • rettucs
  • M
  • ernesto
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back