Minor complaints thread (16 Viewers)

Slipped down the stairs and twisted my ankle this morning. It’s painful and swollen and I can’t put much weight on it but I don’t think it’s broken. Should I go to A&E or just rest and let it heal itself?
unless you need crutches, stay put. Just a waste of time and money otherwise

That’s what I’m thinking but my girlfriend and parents are yelling at me to go to hospital :unsure:
I came off my bike once and twisted my ankle so bad I was convinced it was broken. Went up to the beacon A+E, paid a fortune, only for them to tell me it was badly bruised. They gave me crutches that I only needed for 1 day.

Just put ice on it and keep it elevated. It'll come out in a bruise. If you're still in bits tomorrow, then go to A+E.

Like, it’s free on the NHS but I don’t want to sit in an emergency room waiting room for 6 hours only to be told it’s a mild - medium sprain that will be fine in a week. It’s a waste of my time and the doctors time. I can shuffle about ok, albeit painfully, so im pretty confident it’s not broken.

Like, it’s free on the NHS but I don’t want to sit in an emergency room waiting room for 6 hours only to be told it’s a mild - medium sprain that will be fine in a week. It’s a waste of my time and the doctors time. I can shuffle about ok, albeit painfully, so im pretty confident it’s not broken.
Wait a day before taking anti-inflammatories and then stick to the Ibuprofen (apparently the stronger stuff like Difene is really bad for you). Keep it elevated (above your hips), ice it intermittently. If you have a crutch use it to get about (opposite hand to whatever foot it is). Once the swelling goes down after a couple of days if you're still in pain, go to the physio. Not the same wait time as A&E and they'll be able to tell you a lot more. A&E might not be able to tell a lot right now if it's badly swollen anyway.

Have done both ankles over the years. Feel your pain!

I put off going to A&E when I hurt my ankle. I walked around on it for almost a week before getting an xray, only to find out it was bad break. I was on crutches for months.

It's a hard call. My missus hurt both ankles recently. They weren't broken but she need crutches for a week or so.

Going to your GP or A&E is the only way to know for sure. The GP will probably just refer you to A&E anyway.

I hurt my knee once and tried to walk it off. a month later i could barely walk and eventually caved and went to a doctor and he told me i'd wrecked a ligament. I was in physio for months after that.
Yeah the most important thing is to keep the weight off it otherwise you can make it much worse.

I put off going to A&E when I hurt my ankle. I walked around on it for almost a week before getting an xray, only to find out it was bad break. I was on crutches for months.

It's a hard call. My missus hurt both ankles recently. They weren't broken but she need crutches for a week or so.

Going to your GP or A&E is the only way to know for sure. The GP will probably just refer you to A&E anyway.
GP will just send you to A&E and A&E will just send you for an X-ray, in my experience. Physio might do the same but a good one can tell you a lot more than the others. And with an appointment there's not sitting around in a waiting room for ages.

Wait a day before taking anti-inflammatories and then stick to the Ibuprofen (apparently the stronger stuff like Difene is really bad for you). Keep it elevated (above your hips), ice it intermittently. If you have a crutch use it to get about (opposite hand to whatever foot it is). Once the swelling goes down after a couple of days if you're still in pain, go to the physio. Not the same wait time as A&E and they'll be able to tell you a lot more. A&E might not be able to tell a lot right now if it's badly swollen anyway.

Have done both ankles over the years. Feel your pain!
NSAIDs (ibuprofen, paracetamol, difene) are not recommended if it is broken as they can retard bone repair.

Whhops!

Get well soon! Keep us posted!

You are one tough motherfucker!

Donegal shtyle

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back