Mingus and Parker Fuck for Breakfast - The late 80s to mid 90s Amphetamine Reptile and Skingraft Noiserock Thread (1 Viewer)

Woah there Jesse, this is the noise rock thread...not the thread for right wing noise fiends...

I saw Skullflower in Todmorden [weird fucking artsy town in Lancashire... not for me, babes.] I think there was an Irish act supporting. Late 2014. I think I went directly there from Sheffield on the train after seeing Sheffield Wednesday at home to Derby County [Bradley Johnson, what a player].

He was good. Skullflower. I remember having a smoke with the guitarist from Drunk in Hell, and he said, "sounds like things are starting to cook. Let's go in."

There's a lot of that troubling right wing chat going around the UK noise scene...

This album and the one before it Obsidian Shaking Codex are very much noise rock. Very different to the 2014 version and long before he went down the rabbit hole.

Is this like the Skrewdriver on Chiswick argument for noise rock?

Nah it's more about genres than the politics I think. Skullflower was a noise rock band but all bar one person left and that lad made noise under the same name for years after.

Best Skullflower for me is:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

But Bowers can fuck off with his Nazi shite. One of the other users who posted the same song as above has an edgelord username that just screams shitty UK fash noise:
BF8E650F-A44B-48C7-BFB0-DE41318C8C5E.jpeg

Best Skullflower for me is:

But Bowers can fuck off with his Nazi shite. One of the other users who posted the same song as above has an edgelord username that just screams shitty UK fash noise:
View attachment 16189

Nazi knife makes me think of stabbing nazis. On another note I still wonder how people didn't see the dog whistle in Black Sun Roof.

Here's some amazing early 90s US noise rock.

This is a pretty great list of albums I could have been listening to in the 90's when I was instead mostly listening to the likes of My Dying Bride and Morbid Angel. Thanks to streaming I am going to plug away through some of them in the near future. So far the Oxbow one is great.

I tried with Oxbow again recently, I only knew The Narcotic Story and thought I’d try some of the older albums. Nope, still not for me.

This album and the one before it Obsidian Shaking Codex are very much noise rock. Very different to the 2014 version and long before he went down the rabbit hole.

Apologies, and no panic, Mr. Mainwaring. I'll get on it and report back to camp soon.

The Tar Am Rep albums came... was airing them this evening. Yes, my son.

They ain't got the charismatic, dangerous frontman thing going [re: Yow, Johnson, Selberg, Robinson], but they hit deep with direct, hard Travis Bean ear candy.

Loving this track, 'Gag Reflex' in particular from 1989's 'Roundhouse':

It's a delicious superimposing of one thing over another.

Full Roundhouse and Handsome mini-album in one neat yt package:

My favourite Tar track Deep Throw:

Fist in the air every second's a chorus mania. "Do you wake up dreaming?" One of the most goosebump-ridden moments in rock. It's what God made Travis Bean for.

Live from Emo's in Houston...one of those legendary venues you hear about:

Please, please smash my ears in, Tar.

Nazi knife makes me think of stabbing nazis. On another note I still wonder how people didn't see the dog whistle in Black Sun Roof.

Here's some amazing early 90s US noise rock.

That is very nice, and new to me. Cheers. Like Unsane in nautical, acid-fried hell [first impression].

Yo, that Cherubs' track fed directly into Scratch Acid...

Anyone for Yow at his most Metal Box esque???

'Owner's Lament' by Scratch Acid [from 1984, wow. Very Lydon vocally, but musically, fuck].

'Cannibal' - Scratch Acid. Noise rock text as the academics might say. Holy fuck, what a band. Need to dig out my Berserker vinyl the next time I'm home. Sims from Jesus Lizard on bass.

That drumming [Scratch Acid above] wow, molten. Mr. Rey Washam, don of the angry drum. Gonna dig up that nugget Mascis had from his Wire magazine Invisible Jukebox.

'Trouser Minnow' - Rapeman. Albini with the insane, incomparable Washam on drums and Sims from Jesus Lizard on bass [obviously the name is Albini edgelord [at the time] stuff. Named after a manga comic [no comment]. Incredible band [the reasons why this potent unit may not have lasted are given in the Big Black chapter in Our Band Could Be Your Life]. 1988... wow, I was thinking later. This time period leading up to the Year Punk Broke...

'Steak and Black Onions':

They say he ain't much of a guitarist... I don't know. He's off to a good start with this searing tone.

That is very nice, and new to me. Cheers. Like Unsane in nautical, acid-fried hell [first impression].
Love that record, remember picking it up by chance in that basement record shop on South William St, for a quid.
Was involved in putting on that US Maple show in the Funnel, they made a point of apologising to us before they went on for what was about to happen

I remember digging through a big box of 7"s on the floor there and lifting out a pile to buy. Went up to the counter to be told they weren't for sale.

Dicks!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back