Milan Kundera (1 Viewer)

He's probably not angry enough for the Nobel committee.

Immortality is my favourite but I really liked Ignorance too.

the joke is quite poignant.

Really? I didn't find it funny at all...

Judging by this thread, I feel like the only person in the world who doesn't like Milan Kundera. I find his books amazing in parts but then he goes off on these philosophical tangents - get back to the story damnit!

Laughter & Forgetting is the best of his that I've read though.

Really? I didn't find it funny at all...

Judging by this thread, I feel like the only person in the world who doesn't like Milan Kundera. I find his books amazing in parts but then he goes off on these philosophical tangents - get back to the story damnit!

Laughter & Forgetting is the best of his that I've read though.

I didn't say it was funny, I said it was poignant - as in, the whole shennanigans were because of a misunderstanding. It resonated, like. But I also read it in a tent during a backpacking trip to the Greek islands when I was 18, so I probably mis-remember it entirely. And I can only take him in extremely small doses too, probably haven't read anything of his since my early 20s.

I didn't say it was funny, I said it was poignant - as in, the whole shennanigans were because of a misunderstanding. It resonated, like. But I also read it in a tent during a backpacking trip to the Greek islands when I was 18, so I probably mis-remember it entirely. And I can only take him in extremely small doses too, probably haven't read anything of his since my early 20s.

Was that the one about the couple with the love letter? If so twas good! went through a Kundera phase in me teens had forgotten all bout him must reread....

I was joking (I thought I'd try and be funny but obviously it failed miserably... :()

i love him too. i wish he was my uncle. immortality is great. don't ever try watching the movie of unbearable lightness... for me, this should have been heaven. the idea of the combination of juliette binoche and milan kundera made me giddy in my head and pants... but it's actually terrible.

Anyone know where I can get the essay below online:
M. Kundera (1984), “The Tragedy of Central Europe,” The New York Review of Books (Vol. 31, No.7, 4/26/1984), pp. 33-38.

Been told to go find it for a course in college and it's driving me mad trying to find it... The lecturer said it's online somewhere but didn't specify where..

Try looking for it under it's original title:
"A Kidnapped West, or Culture Bows Out."
Granta published it before NYRoB.

i love him too. i wish he was my uncle. immortality is great. don't ever try watching the movie of unbearable lightness... for me, this should have been heaven. the idea of the combination of juliette binoche and milan kundera made me giddy in my head and pants... but it's actually terrible.

That's like Bonfire of the Vanities for me, such a shit film/cool book. Have you started The Castle yet?

And I can only take him in extremely small doses too, probably haven't read anything of his since my early 20s.

yes, agree whole-heartedly. Mistakingly tried to read laughter and forgetting straight after unbearable lightness of being. Really enjoyed the latter. But couldn't enjoy the former, even though I knew it was a great book when I was reading it. Can't remember why. They were probably too similar in different ways. I need to read it again now I think.

i recently read the book of laughter and forgetting - didnt like it at all, thought it was really awful in fact. i read the unbearable lightness of being years ago and enjoyed it well enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back