Milan Kundera (1 Viewer)

Mitchum

He's probably not angry enough for the Nobel committee.

Immortality is my favourite but I really liked Ignorance too.

eclectichoney

Since 2000
Website
www.econgirl.net
the joke is quite poignant.

Really? I didn't find it funny at all...

Judging by this thread, I feel like the only person in the world who doesn't like Milan Kundera. I find his books amazing in parts but then he goes off on these philosophical tangents - get back to the story damnit!

Laughter & Forgetting is the best of his that I've read though.

krystal

Since 2000
Really? I didn't find it funny at all...

Judging by this thread, I feel like the only person in the world who doesn't like Milan Kundera. I find his books amazing in parts but then he goes off on these philosophical tangents - get back to the story damnit!

Laughter & Forgetting is the best of his that I've read though.

I didn't say it was funny, I said it was poignant - as in, the whole shennanigans were because of a misunderstanding. It resonated, like. But I also read it in a tent during a backpacking trip to the Greek islands when I was 18, so I probably mis-remember it entirely. And I can only take him in extremely small doses too, probably haven't read anything of his since my early 20s.

sarah

Website
www.flickr.com
I didn't say it was funny, I said it was poignant - as in, the whole shennanigans were because of a misunderstanding. It resonated, like. But I also read it in a tent during a backpacking trip to the Greek islands when I was 18, so I probably mis-remember it entirely. And I can only take him in extremely small doses too, probably haven't read anything of his since my early 20s.

Was that the one about the couple with the love letter? If so twas good! went through a Kundera phase in me teens had forgotten all bout him must reread....

eclectichoney

Since 2000
Website
www.econgirl.net

I was joking (I thought I'd try and be funny but obviously it failed miserably... :()

Ex-User (5762)

i love him too. i wish he was my uncle. immortality is great. don't ever try watching the movie of unbearable lightness... for me, this should have been heaven. the idea of the combination of juliette binoche and milan kundera made me giddy in my head and pants... but it's actually terrible.

Gambra

Anarchic Harmonics
Website
www.noisenotmusic.org
Anyone know where I can get the essay below online:
M. Kundera (1984), “The Tragedy of Central Europe,” The New York Review of Books (Vol. 31, No.7, 4/26/1984), pp. 33-38.

Been told to go find it for a course in college and it's driving me mad trying to find it... The lecturer said it's online somewhere but didn't specify where..

Mitchum

Try looking for it under it's original title:
"A Kidnapped West, or Culture Bows Out."
Granta published it before NYRoB.

Psychotic no 2

i love him too. i wish he was my uncle. immortality is great. don't ever try watching the movie of unbearable lightness... for me, this should have been heaven. the idea of the combination of juliette binoche and milan kundera made me giddy in my head and pants... but it's actually terrible.

That's like Bonfire of the Vanities for me, such a shit film/cool book. Have you started The Castle yet?

rettucs

Supporter
Solutions
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013
And I can only take him in extremely small doses too, probably haven't read anything of his since my early 20s.

yes, agree whole-heartedly. Mistakingly tried to read laughter and forgetting straight after unbearable lightness of being. Really enjoyed the latter. But couldn't enjoy the former, even though I knew it was a great book when I was reading it. Can't remember why. They were probably too similar in different ways. I need to read it again now I think.

hiadudiad?

Bodacious Cowboy Xennial
Supporter
Solutions
i recently read the book of laughter and forgetting - didnt like it at all, thought it was really awful in fact. i read the unbearable lightness of being years ago and enjoyed it well enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Activity

Loading…

We're listening to...

• Brain Development Lullabies
    Menuetto from Gallimathias Musicum
    Music Box Orchestra
    Brain Development Lullabies

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Trending Threads

Latest threads