Microdisney documentary (1 Viewer)

It's a great documentary that; see they are playing The Clock Comes Down The Stairs at NCH next June? Tickets are on sale this Wednesday at 10am!

nifty new track from cathal
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

What’s the best solo album of his? I’ve only ever seen him sing Brecht on his own and he was fabulous, pure Scott Walker channelling.

his current one is absolutely superb, well worth a listen

'Owl In The Parlour'

‘Song Of Co-Aklan’

'Owl In The Parlour' order
Cathal Coughlan - Owl in the Parlour
Digital pre-order Cathal Coughlan - Song Of Co-Aklan
CD / Vinyl pre-order (UK) Cathal Coughlan - Song Of Co-aklan
Bandcamp

Spotify

'Song of Co-Aklan' order ffm.to/songofcoaklan

Watched the Microdisney documentary on BBC4 earlier (well most of it). It was enjoyable but it felt like they could do with a deeper, less straightforward treatment. Coughlan's self-reflection was remarkable.

I've been blessed to have done a show with Seán O'Hagan in Belfast a few years back. I've seldom met a more decent, gentle soul in all my years or making a fool of myself on stage.

I've pretty much given up on Friday nights on BBC 4.
They've hardly shown any new music docs since before the pandemic and don't seem to commission their own content much anymore.

Anyway thanks for the heads up.
Hopefully Microdisney will be on again.

I always thought changing name of We Hate You South African Bastards LP on reissue was a bad idea.
A sticker explaining the 1980's apartheid era context would have done the job better.

Cheers.

Pity there are only a few moments (e.g. 54 mins) were Cathal gets into what made him tick.
They were students of the art of pop songwriting but what fuelled Cathal as a highly perceptive social commentator? Someone turned his words at any hypocrisy he chose.
In the doc the accessible tunes and vitriolic lyrics combo that made the band doesn't come up much.

I born in 1975 as a mid 80's kid 1985-87 was a particularly bland time for mainstream pop.
Only a few years after new wave or punk there was very little trace of it left. The new popstars of 1981 had degenerated into Live Aid era.
There was a huge gap between the indie scene and the mainstream.
Microdisney's lack of records sales was far from unique.
Featured journalist Andrew Mueller's favourite band The Go-Betweens will tell you the same story about being on Rough Trade or a major label in the mid 1980's
Apart from The Smiths probably only Orange Juice, Prefab Sprout or Lloyd Cole got anywhere on a major at the time.

I commented on the name change of the We Hate You South African Bastards above...
But in fairness Cathal's liners notes on the back of the original LP (reprinted on the reissue) explain the anti apartheid stance.

One other surprise in The Story of Microdisney was a cousin of my Dad got a minor mention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back