Mic questions (1 Viewer)

What would you spend your money on - this or this?

That SE2200a looks awesome and all, but I'm a beginner and it's outta my price range for now.

i used to have a few of the original NT1's, I liked them, but I had one of the nt1a's a few weeks ago and it didn't seem to sound as good as i remembered...i'm not sure i'd buy one now.
Haven't heard that t.bone though.

speaking of t.bones, anyone have this:
http://www.thomann.de/ie/the_tbone_sct800_tube_mic.htm
Worth getting? seems to have some good reviews...

cool. I've a vague recollection of reading something about them being designed by ex-Telefunken engineers or something to that effect.

Surely not!? :eek:

Hehe.
Derek from Crumb had/has an SCT700.. surprisingly not bad at all.
I just don't trust them Tbones though.. I keep expecting 'something' to go wrong.

This AKG set seems like pretty good value at 200,seeing as the C1000 and C2000B retail at 169 and 179 respectively.

I was initially going to go for the SE2200a,
(using the 2 akgs for guitar,and the SE for vocals)
But that T-Bone SCT800
http://www.dancetech.com/aa_dt_new/hardware/item.cfm?threadid=1750&lang=0
Has been getting some amazing reviews,especially in comparison to the SE2200a.
Has anyone here tried both?
At 225,I think I might get that instead.

The SE is the only one I know to be pretty decent.
C1000s are a bit meh.
In fact, any of the cheap AKGs I've heard haven't excited me.

Iv used an SE before,for guitar but not vocals,and was pretty pleased.Iv heard the AKGs are meant to be good ambient mics,and good for amps.micd a guitar body with one once and was pleased enough.

C1000 is really good on some peoples vocals believe it or not.

Yeah there was loads of conflicting reviews there,some claimed that,billed as a vocal mic,it was brutal,but others swore by it.Maybe its just daycent if you have a voice like an amplifier :)

Any particular kind of voice?

Deeper voices I guess would have been the common factor.
I think the small diaphram gives you slightly less to work with while being really nice on the higher frequencies that are a bit lost on that kind of voice when you use a large diaphram like a 414.
Hard to describe the effect but when you drop the vocal into the mix, you dont need to do much to it to make it sit.

C1000's are slagged off a lot but they have their uses. Nice on a snare too, especially if you want to pick up a decent amount of room sound.

Has anyone here ever used an AT2020? Just wondering if it's a good mic for the price...

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/28740
SOS compared this one very favourably with the 2020, especially as it's half the price. Why not demo the 2 from somewhere and see if you notice the difference. If you don't: hey, stereo pair for the same price as 1 AT2020.

The price they quote in SOS is £25 sterling, but dolphin's price is more expensive.

It feels dirtly quibbling over cheap gear. Neither are Neumanns to be sure.

To be honest - if you're gonna go for budget condensor you're probably better saving and spending a bit more on something that have a -10db pad (and maybe a filter).

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back