Metallica - Master of Puppets (1986) (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 76
  • Views 8K
  • Watchers 4
Metallica never had a plan for what would happen after they became huge (which is why they’ve been so buffoonish for the last couple of decades).

There are two kinds of motivation for seeking fame/glory/renown/whatever: to be rewarded, or to be vindicated. They were the ultimate band of scummy shitheads seeking vindication, and this album totally nails that.

and I suppose it counts as the canonical great metallica album because the two before it were wobbly or badly-recorded, and everything after is post-cliff, and then we’re into the era of videos on MTV and selling out stadiums, and then, after that, the more recent foolishness, which is basically everything post-1994. weird to think that they’ve now been a cartoon version of themselves for waaaay longer than they were actually any good.

also – i have no real connection to this album as any kind of rite of passage. too young. it was an album that my older cousin owned. but he was much more into iron maiden than metallica

There are two kinds of motivation for seeking fame/glory/renown/whatever: to be rewarded, or to be vindicated. They were the ultimate band of scummy shitheads seeking vindication, and this album totally nails that.

I've been underwhelmed with almost everything they've done since 1991, but I would never begrudge them their success. For a long time they did things the old fashioned way. They're rise in the 80's was down to the sheer quality of the music and loads of touring. Lets not forget they didn't make an official music video until their 4th album. If they were fame hungry they were going about it the wrong way.

I remember this being released like it was yesterday. RTL had not long been out when we discovered Metallica so this was the first release we witnessed, from the build up studio report in Mega Metal Kerrang! to the full page "new Album" advertisements and the 5k album review. It sounded fresh and tight. Battery was the sound of extremely high expectations being met and trampled on. Everything about this album was a touch of class. The album cover, the back cover, the inside sleeve. Hard to believe that in those days this album was an Import as Music For Nations wasn't distributed in Ireland.

Listen to it now and the production doesn't quite stand up. There is a low frequency rumble that vibrates the speakers, it's got lots of reverb that went unnoticed back in the day and yes it's time to admit that The Thing That Should Not Be is rubbish.
However, Battery, Master Of Puppets, Orion just seem to get better as the years pass.

Five stars.

@pete 's review makes me want to go and listen to this again. The only Metallica thing I had as a teen was Creeping Death, and I loved that. This isn't really doing it for me

/me goes back and listens to Battery again

No, still nothing really

I feel bad about joining back to album club on a metal album but sure there you go.

I listened to this last night in the gym and it made me go faster. Listened to it again in work today and i worked harder. Not sure what expect for the third listen.

I feel bad about joining back to album club on a metal album but sure there you go.

I listened to this last night in the gym and it made me go faster. Listened to it again in work today and i worked harder. Not sure what expect for the third listen.

Depends what you'll be doing it seems...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back