Metalica aid "war on terror"!! (1 Viewer)

Latex lizzie

I just read in the times that Metalica's "enter sandman" track is being used in Guantanamo Bay's "Camp X-ray" to mentally dibilitate alleged Al queda suspects. It seems to be working..

quote"THese people haven't heard heavy metal before..they can't take it" sgt.Hadsell U.S. Marines.

so my question is this..doesn't playing music over a broadcast system have to have the permission of the recording artist? I think so..if that's the case then by asscociation Metalica are condoning the mental torture of people..tricky.

..they have been torturing me for years though so...

Sesame Street breaks Iraqi POWs
Heavy metal music and popular American children's songs are being used by US interrogators to break the will of their captives in Iraq.

Uncooperative prisoners are being exposed for prolonged periods to tracks by rock group Metallica and music from children's TV programmes Sesame Street and Barney in the hope of making them talk.

The US's Psychological Operations Company (Psy Ops) said the aim was to break a prisoner's resistance through sleep deprivation and playing music that was culturally offensive to them.

"These people haven't heard heavy metal," Sergeant Mark Hadsell told Newsweek magazine.

"They can't take it. If you play it for 24 hours, your brain and body functions start to slide, your train of thought slows down and your will is broken. That's when we come in and talk to them."

Sgt Hadsell's favourites are said to be 'Bodies' from the XXX film soundtrack and Metallica's 'Enter Sandman'.

The theme tune from the US children's programme Sesame Street and songs from the purple singing dinosaur Barney are also on their hit list.

"In training, they forced me to listen to the Barney "I Love You" song for 45 minutes. I never want to go through that again," one US operative told the magazine.

Rick Hoffman, vice president of the Psy Ops Veterans Association, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that such a tactic would have no long-lasting effect on prisoners.

"The use of this kind of audio-technique is rather new in interrogation," he said.

"There have been other kinds of non-lethal, non-harmful techniques, such as sleep deprivation... which leave no long-lasting effects but do have the end result of breaking down the individual's will to resist questioning."

The human rights organisation, Amnesty International, is currently investigating claims by Iraqi prisoners of war that they have been subjected to beatings and in one case, electric shocks, by coalition forces.

The UK's Ministry of Defence has said all its prisoners are being held under the terms of the Geneva Convention and are visited by members of the International Red Cross.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3042907.stm

It's on Skynews page aswell, but the muppets put up a picture of Jimi Hendrix and wrote under it "Rock music 'weapon'"

So putting aside the fact that Jimi was a big anti war protestor my big grumble is that he's nowhere near "Metal"!?!?

Some People.......SLAP!

The 'Coalition' could've ousted the Iraqi regime in hours if they'd just set up a load of enormous speakers around Baghdad and played a non-stop medley of Creed, Staind, Puddle of Mudd, Nickleback etc.

Nu metal=much more torturous than Barney and Metallica combined

Originally posted by Latex lizzie
doesn't playing music over a broadcast system have to have the permission of the recording artist? I think so..if that's the case then by asscociation Metalica are condoning the mental torture of people..tricky.
This is about Publishing rights: as far as I'm aware only very few independent artists own their publishing because this is usually sold to a publisher (in most cases owned by the same major) when they sign a record deal. This is the only way to have your music used in ads, soundtracks, etc. the downside being that you lose any control on it and if your publisher decides to sell it for a tampon advertisement or anything, there's nothing you can do to prevent tha. To cut a long story short: shame on the US Army, can't blame Metallica.

Can anybody tell us something more about Publishing?

Originally posted by Latex lizzie
so my question is this..doesn't playing music over a broadcast system have to have the permission of the recording artist?

No
To play copyrighted music over a broadcast system you have to pay a licence fee, but you don't need permission

Edit: rights for synchronisation to film and use in ads are a different thing entirely

If I remember my Metallica lore, I think they do actually own all their stuff, publishing and all. Can't remember how or why.
James Hetfield. Pffft.
They were pretty rejuvenated on that Icon programme though....I haven't felt as uncontemptuous towards them in about ten years.

the u.s. army used sound as a weapon in the first gulf war. They set up the biggest sound system ever, in the desert, pointed it at Bagdhad and played slayers 'war ensemble' (i shit you not!) on a loop during the night in an attempt to keep the enermy troops awake and therefore make them easier combat material.

Then as now though there was a Bush in charge and the metal-machine-music audio terror had to be abandoned as they hadn't realised, due to basic physics, that the sound would leak back to their own positions (no doubt helped by the desert winds)!!

That Metallica Icon programme was fucking dodgy. Limp Bizket, goatee beards, tousands of spasming hands in the .|..| position, and Larssssssssssssss Ulrichhhhhhhhh wndering did these bands get authorisation to use their music.

Originally posted by Damon_Kind
That Metallica Icon programme was fucking dodgy. Limp Bizket, goatee beards, tousands of spasming hands in the .|..| position, and Larssssssssssssss Ulrichhhhhhhhh wndering did these bands get authorisation to use their music.
Yep it was real !cheezy but what really disappointed is that the kept praising the new album during the whole program, then they played the single and it sucks! !bog

Originally posted by Pantone247
they did the same thing with David Koresh (remember him!)

can't remember the tunes but, it was the 90's so probably Carter USM or Pop Will Eat Itself or something...

PWEI - Ich Bin Ein Auslander...fucking deadly! (or at least it was whilst very drunk and half deafened in Fibbers)

It and More Human Than Human by White Zombie! The memories are flooding back *sigh*

La Sexorcisto!

Originally posted by Juno
It and More Human Than Human by White Zombie! The memories are flooding back *sigh*

ha ha ha!

I actually thought the bass player in WZ was pretty hot

boy was I off the mark

whitezombie.jpg

Originally posted by Unclealo
The power of Sunstroke '95! Yeesh she aint what I remember

the day i missed both mudhoney and tad, and had to make do with soundgarden moping through their set.

actually, grunge could have been killed that weekend if dublin fell into the sea. the smashing pumpkins had played in the sfx the night before. now they rocked.

sunstroke '93 was pretty good but only cause of sonic youth wrapping their guitars in long leads and dragging them all over the shop. sugar rocked too i recall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back