Merry Christmas Everyone (1 Viewer)

Happy Christmas! Had a very successful veggie Christmas with half the family. Hallumi sprouts were probably the winner.

Happy Christmas yiz all!

@nuke terrorist there's a (non-fiction) book called Four Thousand Weeks by Oliver Burkeman that I *really* enjoyed. Has some stuff in it about rituals (e.g. Christmas) that you might find illuminating
read a few reviews of Burkeman's book and listened to a couple of interviews with him and a talk he did.

EDIT: what did he say about Christmas or rituals? they're something I don't understand at all. END EDIT.

he seems like a nice lad and makes some good observations about motivational psychology and understanding where it goes wrong. but apart from being bald and the same age as me, he's still coming from a fairly different angle to life than me.

one of his books is called -
HELP! How To Be Slightly Happier and Get A Bit More Done.

this is the most sensible approach I've heard to self help stuff.
I am happy enough but getting a bit more organised would be good.
Burkeman seems to take it as a given that if you are reading his work you are already motivated.
I'm completely unambitious about most things other than self care and I think this has served me well.
I' ve never been creative and posting on here or writing letters is as good as it gets and I am OK wth that.

my goals would be - going for walks most days, cooking / eating properly, cleaning the house, keeping my records in order, keeping in touch with friends and at my most creative, writing letters.
I wanted to do six things in a day and I got four done I'd happy enough.
I don't like things that strike me as a waste of time from the get go e.g. drinking tea, coffee, alcohol.

the points Burkeman makes should be pretty commonplace but they're not.
I've gone to the popular psychology sections of bookshops just to laugh the stuff on offer.

EDIT: what did he say about Christmas or rituals? they're something I don't understand at all. END EDIT.
His latest book is basically "life is very short, and your imagination is large, so there is zero chance of getting all the things you would like to do done" ... and then thinking about that. No goals. Focus on the now. That kind of thing

I wouldn't expect his stuff about rituals to win you over, but it might help you understand the point of them for other people. Essentially they're ways of putting aside everyday life and focusing on one another for a while

As far as rituals go the only bit of a funeral I like is when people who actually knew the person speak about them - which is usually lovely.
The indentikit parts from every other funeral are lost on me.
But sense of community can be very comforting.
So I get it a tiny bit...I think

I wouldn't expect his stuff about rituals to win you over, but it might help you understand the point of them for other people. Essentially they're ways of putting aside everyday life and focusing on one another for a while

The problem with rituals (all the "religious" ones like Xmas,christenings,communion etc mostly ) is more that I don't care for them and as a result wish to not participate and then the constant annoyance of other people trying to push me into participating.
For me,those people would benefit more from reading a book about it.

( But I know you were replying to nuke, and I am just a little annoyed at being just handed a present from someone and it's pretty much going into a drawer until binned)
Not trying to even start a discussion,just needing to vent

The problem with rituals (all the "religious" ones like Xmas,christenings,communion etc mostly ) is more that I don't care for them and as a result wish to not participate and then the constant annoyance of other people trying to push me into participating.
For me,those people would benefit more from reading a book about it.

( But I know you were replying to nuke, and I am just a little annoyed at being just handed a present from someone and it's pretty much going into a drawer until binned)
Not trying to even start a discussion,just needing to vent
I go to funerals but avoid Christenings and kids stuff but will show up after church stuff is over. have only been to 3 weddings.

My family are very understanding and anything I went to was my own choice fortunately.

There were two tragic deaths of local guys in their late 40's in the space of a month this year.
One of the lads brother couldn't get back from abroad and pre recorded a tribute to his big brother.
Music came up quickly: In the early 90's the guy had classic local taste in American rock.
SLAYER were mentioned and an SFX gig where his crowd surfing led to him been dragged on stage by Phil Anselmo.
Awesome nostalgia! love hearing these memories.

The local church can be tuned in on radio or watched online.
Letters always seem to appreciated when I've sent them.
But I completely understand why someone wouldn't set foot in a church, in my late teens much of my 20's I wouldn't go there either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back