Merry Christmas 2022 Everyone (1 Viewer)

thank fuck that's over.

I was toying with the idea of flying somewhere Islamic or something next christmas. I'd be able to ignore the epicenter of the blast, but I'd not be able to ignore all the christmassy shit smeared around the place on the lead in.
I recommend Las Vegas. Went to see penn & teller there one Christmas Day.

thank fuck that's over.

I was toying with the idea of flying somewhere Islamic or something next christmas. I'd be able to ignore the epicenter of the blast, but I'd not be able to ignore all the christmassy shit smeared around the place on the lead in.
Let me recommend the Baltics then. Everything was open here on christmas day. They do their thing on christmas eve over the space of a few hours, then thats it. Its very non-intrusive if you're an outsider. Obviously the christmas shit is everywhere, and they don't take down their decorations until the end of february, but these few days have been grand. All the locals have been back in work since monday, so basically life as normal, unlike Ireland where there are hordes of bored people everywhere, hating their families, and desperate for something to do.

A nice few days break in Talinn or Riga (Vilnius might be a bit too catholic) is just the job.

Let me recommend the Baltics then. Everything was open here on christmas day. They do their thing on christmas eve over the space of a few hours, then thats it. Its very non-intrusive if you're an outsider. Obviously the christmas shit is everywhere, and they don't take down their decorations until the end of february, but these few days have been grand. All the locals have been back in work since monday, so basically life as normal, unlike Ireland where there are hordes of bored people everywhere, hating their families, and desperate for something to do.

A nice few days break in Talinn or Riga (Vilnius might be a bit too catholic) is just the job.
oh, and we have snow

I recommend Las Vegas. Went to see penn & teller there one Christmas Day.
I was in Las Vegas before, and found it pretty tough going. Not AS bad as Christmas, as there's fuck all expected from you in LV.

I was sent there for work, and I wasn't able to deal with the mobs and weird slightly vomity smell of the place, so I got dropped off into the desert with a mountain bike. 20-30 miles or something Outside of Las Vegas is excellent, some of the nicest areas I've ever seen in the US. I crashed and ended up in a cactus. The rest of the trip I was pulling spines out of myself. It was great.

I'll run the idea of the Baltics past the other half and see what she says. Initially I was thinking Morocco or something, so I could sidestep the entire shitshow. Near enough to Ireland, and not dominated by Christmas.

Isn't it all in our heads though?
Like these things exist or they don't; it's our thoughts that makes them annoying (or not)

Like who gives a fuck what decorations are up or how many bored people there are or whatever else?
If you have love in your life, and you know what you want to do to make you and yours happy; then all these externalities can go take a shit in a hat.

I think we can usually be about as happy as we decide to be.

Running halfway around the world is not gonna fix that minor irritations do our head in.

Not cross-talking or having a go at anyone. Just offering my perspective.
Everyone's truth is their own.

I got dropped off into the desert with a mountain bike. 20-30 miles or something Outside of Las Vegas is excellent, some of the nicest areas I've ever seen in the US. I crashed and ended up in a cactus. The rest of the trip I was pulling spines out of myself. It was great.
This sounds amazing

Like these things exist or they don't; it's our thoughts that makes them annoying (or not)

Like who gives a fuck what decorations are up or how many bored people there are or whatever else?
If you have love in your life, and you know what you want to do to make you and yours happy; then all these externalities can go take a shit in a hat.

Running halfway around the world is not gonna fix that minor irritations do our head in.

We made Chinese food and did fuck all, it was glorious - other people’s nonsense didn’t come into it.

Did they not have the Barry's train set ad on the radio this year?

I might have missed it, but I do listen a lot

I mean, yeah. It's all in your head, like everything is.

But there's a massive expectation around Christmas that I think is pretty nasty. It's a confluence of three interrelated things.
There's a religious holiday - ok, don't care - I can happily ignore that. It still exists though, and it can still go fuck itself along with whatever pious for the day cunts who lay it on thick.
There's an all pervasive, toxic, consumerist drive. You are expected to consume visibly, it is expected of you. This is aligned with a general ratcheting up of stress and pressure, reminding and enforcing this conspicuous consumerism.
There's a social expectation that you're going to spend time with "people who matter to you", with the not very subtle implication being if you don't spend time with them, they don't matter. So there's a ferrying around and appearrances at various gatherings, all the time choosing who matters.

Added to this, everyone at these events is basically fucking shattered, from the above bollocks. Likely they are having some booze to try to take the edge of their stress. Now you've got people jammed in awkward familial social circles, shattered, a bit boozed up. That is, you've queued up the perfect shitshow.

And I hate it. I dread it, I know it's coming, I actively avoided every member of my family this year, other than my children; and I STILL got caught in the crossfire of shitshows in the general vicinity. That's what's so grim about it, I know it's coming, I know it's going to be shit, I can hide all I like I'm still getting guilted to all fuck and ultimately despite holing up in the arseholes of nowhere, I still get embroiled in horrific shit.

So yeah, I know it's in my head. But that doesn't seem to prevent the yearly shitfest that is Christmas.

I worked in retail for years. A good chunk of my hatred for Xmas comes from that. Not all by any chance though.

The difference to working in an educate together school now is amazing.
I can manage to barely notice it now. Not enough though.

And fuck every asshole that calls someone a Scrooge or grinch for not liking xmas

But there's a massive expectation around Christmas that I think is pretty nasty. It's a confluence of three interrelated things.
There's a religious holiday - ok, don't care - I can happily ignore that. It still exists though, and it can still go fuck itself along with whatever pious for the day cunts who lay it on thick.
There's an all pervasive, toxic, consumerist drive. You are expected to consume visibly, it is expected of you. This is aligned with a general ratcheting up of stress and pressure, reminding and enforcing this conspicuous consumerism.
There's a social expectation that you're going to spend time with "people who matter to you", with the not very subtle implication being if you don't spend time with them, they don't matter. So there's a ferrying around and appearrances at various gatherings, all the time choosing who matters
Added to this, everyone at these events is basically fucking shattered, from the above bollocks. Likely they are having some booze to try to take the edge of their stress. Now you've got people jammed in awkward familial social circles, shattered, a bit boozed up. That is, you've queued up the perfect shitshow.

And I hate it. I dread it, I know it's coming, I actively avoided every member of my family this year, other than my children; and I STILL got caught in the crossfire of shitshows in the general vicinity. That's what's so grim about it, I know it's coming, I know it's going to be shit, I can hide all I like I'm still getting guilted to all fuck and ultimately despite holing up in the arseholes of nowhere, I still get embroiled in horrific shit.

So yeah, I know it's in my head. But that doesn't seem to prevent the yearly shitfest that is Christmas.
Jesus, man
That's like a vision of hell

I think on some level we are all dealing with people's expectations of us, but it can be very useful to have a daily practice of relieving ourselves of that tyranny and any guilt associated with it, and living life with only our own priorities

I honestly feel bad for you that this is how Christmas is for you - it sounds genuinely unhappy
I hope you get a solution that works for you for next year

This year's episode was ok. 7/10. Getting tired of it now though. Still a bit of visiting to do on New Years Day. The least "presenty" Christmas I can remember, which was nice. Biggest problem was trying to make sure our boys didn't drunk too much.

There's a social expectation that you're going to spend time with "people who matter to you", with the not very subtle implication being if you don't spend time with them, they don't matter. So there's a ferrying around and appearrances at various gatherings, all the time choosing who matters.

I think this sums up my feeling about the whole farrago pretty perfectly, it's a very good explanation.
This year I spent 24th–27th in bed with the flu, and that was better than having to bother with any of that fucking crap.

I worked in retail for years. A good chunk of my hatred for Xmas comes from that. Not all by any chance though.

The difference to working in an educate together school now is amazing.
I can manage to barely notice it now. Not enough though.

And fuck every asshole that calls someone a Scrooge or grinch for not liking xmas
Yeah, working in some element of the service industry, retail or kitchens, is by far my favourite way to spend Christmas. I'd have worked on building sites if they were open.

"Sorry, I'd love to :anguished face:" but I can't!"
We're done, conversation over.

everybody I met on Xmas day I meet regularly or at least in the last month w/ sisters in laws.
not exciting - except for younger kids.
but I met a friend the other day I hadn't seen for at least four years. he was in Aussie before the pandemic and when he came back in 2020 our paths never crossed.

Yeah, working in some element of the service industry, retail or kitchens, is by far my favourite way to spend Christmas. I'd have worked on building sites if they were open.

"Sorry, I'd love to :anguished face:" but I can't!"
We're done, conversation over.
I've had a job the last few years that only happens in December and will run right until Christmas Eve and then a few days after Christmas as well, it's fuckin great

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back