MBV ATP - any reports? (1 Viewer)

Well this thread is certainly getting me in the mood for the ten years festival next weekend. Thanks.

I thought they were fantastic, never saw them before though so I cant compare them to their other performances.
Didn't think they'd really be as loud as everyone said so I took my ear plugs out for a bit, FUCKING HELL!!!

Only caught the last half, really enjoyed what I saw apart from the last song (don't know what it was called, really slow and dull though). Rave Down sounded huge.

I really enjoyed the weekend. Highlight for me was The Membranes, high energy and and a pleasant break from shoegaze.

old = captain bringdown

Haha. Fair enough. Good thing I'm not going to your party so.
Sorry for not going to your party.

Still glad I went for those bands I enjoyed. And the lack of talking during bands was a winner.

Well this thread is certainly getting me in the mood for the ten years festival next weekend. Thanks.

Ah go on out of that. Loads of deadly bands playing next week.
Sure aren't you fellas who thought this weekend's shoegaze nostalgiafest entitled to your own opinion? Saves you buying any new records. :p

Great weekend, saw MBV thrice and enjoyed every second of it. Was well impressed also with J Mascus and The Fog, School of Seven Bells and Swervedriver. Such good fun, can't wait to go back.

There's a decent pub, up Minehead High St., take a right at the fruit an veg, on the right hand side.
They do a mighty Bloody Mary.

Actually My Bloody Valentine can kiss my shiny metal ass. Zed zed zed you only need to see them once because THEY ARE THE EXACT SAME EACH TIME. Four times in my life is now my 100% limit.

Oh - and the My Holeacaust is just the most wanky thing ever, anyone who says otherwise is in denial, and, should one be a tad sensitive about war crimes, pretty fucking insultingly named, to boot. Grrrr.

Fucked Up were beyond deadly, though, and Minehead's other attractions were a lot busier this time around which made after-gig stuff a lot more fun.

Big thumbs down to the Sun and Goon pub for its inedible fare, and would someone please write a Dear Hogan to the effect that it's not right to make a man as ancient as Beep stay up till 5am?

Anyone ever had any trouble with people sharing a chalet not showing up together?

who was playing in the fog with J?
No idea who he was, but the bass player was this huge bloke with long hair who was incredible, he had fingers like John Entwhistle. And the body of Andy Fordham.

Does anyone know who the TBC band in reds were on the Sunday? Could hear what sounded like constant double bass drum through the first half of the MBV set but didn't hear anyone mention for certain who it was.

Lightning Bolt. Which was a bit of a dissapointment really.

Oh and no one has mentioned No Age, who were great, and brought on Bob Mould at the end to fire off a few Husker Du songs. Well I assume they were Husker Du songs, I'm no great authority on them to be honest.

Actually My Bloody Valentine can kiss my shiny metal ass. Zed zed zed you only need to see them once because THEY ARE THE EXACT SAME EACH TIME. Four times in my life is now my 100% limit.

Oh - and the My Holeacaust is just the most wanky thing ever, anyone who says otherwise is in denial, and, should one be a tad sensitive about war crimes, pretty fucking insultingly named, to boot. Grrrr.

Fucked Up were beyond deadly, though, and Minehead's other attractions were a lot busier this time around which made after-gig stuff a lot more fun.

Big thumbs down to the Sun and Goon pub for its inedible fare, and would someone please write a Dear Hogan to the effect that it's not right to make a man as ancient as Beep stay up till 5am?

and lets not forget the ever colourful parade of ridiculous try-hard hipsters. the best one being the guy with all the toy swords hanging off him.

for me there was loads of great music. epmd, the pains of being pure at heart, robin guthrie, fucked up, sonic youth, swervedriver, mbv etc etc. best atp line up ive ever partaken in.

Musically speaking it was definitely the least interesting of the ones I've been to. There was undoubtedly some good stuff: The Membranes rocked, MBV were pretty good on Saturday, and I enjoyed Spectrum and what I saw of Swervedriver.

But I found more bands than usual quite dull, and there were whole stretches of time where there wasn't a single band on I could be bothered to see. So disappointing from that direction.

Still had a great time, though: ran into quite a few friends that I didn't know were gonna be there (and of course many of the usuals I expected), met Mr Squiggle, saw some great films on ATP TV, and had fun hanging out with chaletmates. So nothing to really grouse too much about, and didn't make me stop looking forward to going to the Groening-curated one in May.

Keep forgetting to mention who good Spectrum were too. Though the last ten minutes were ruined by the staff at the back running around sarcastically dancing and hitting each other with rubbish bags.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back