Martin O'Neill in Massively Overrated Shocker (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter old
  • Start date
  • Replies 11
  • Views 2K
  • Watchers 4
He did well with Leicester and Wycombe. And, to be fair, the Premiership is a tougher league now than it was for previous managers.
He's a good manager, but there are better.
Actually, who cares about Aston Villa? Other than Birmingham?

Yeah, I'm not sure I agree with most of that at all.
It obfuscates a lot of important facts, like the quality of team that O'Neill took over from and the state of the club. It claims he pays market price for players, but no mention of the Dunne deal for example and his defence, which is arguably (nay, is) the best in the league, with no fucking 30 million Ferdinand or silly money Cole. And just cos he bought players in the last hours of the transfer window doesn't mean he just dreamt it up on the spot.
Give Moyes his credit too, but to claim that Redknapp is of the same quality is to ignore their consistency, which is why O'Neill deserves most of the credit he gets.
The only area where O'Neill is unproven is in dealing with precocious overpaid world class shitheads, but that's a question yet to be answered and so...
Nah, he's a good manager in my books.

His final league finishes haven't been better than his predecessors however his sides have at least looked like they might step up to the next level before ultimately fading away. His big failing at Villa is that his squad management is poor. Milner, Young and Petrov have all started 30 league games this season, Gabby one less plus a sub appearence. Generally when people say that a team looks tired they mean the midfield looks spent, Reo-Coker, Delph and Sidwell (though he did get a good bit of game time) probably should have played more often against the weaker sides.

Villa are where you'd expect them to be if you assume that a) they have a very good manager and b) they have a middling budget. It's not feasible for them to win the league, for instance. All that can be expected is that they challenge for the 4th spot (they are doing that, and the big reason they're not getting there is because the squad isn't big enough) and have good cup runs (check).

i've been saying that for years. he's never impressed me, although he did well lester.

i don't buy that. he spent more than anyone before at celtic, and he took over at a time when rangers were seriously on the slide. he did contriveto throw away a title in the last five minutes of a game when it should have been settled long before that, he never even got a point away from home in the champions league and i never enjoyed the football they played. except for his first old firm game, a 6-2 mauling. his second, a 5-1 reversal, was less inspired.

he was perhaps a deco swandive from winning the uefa cup, for sure, and yes they beat liverpool that season too, but tell me, who were the managers of shaktar and zenith? i mean, we're not going tocompare him to wenger are we, just cos he loses in european cup finals.

martin talks a good game, he's intelligent and honest and people like that. i mean, what's the competition, eh? he's a good pr man for himself.

we have no idea how he would handle the massive egos at a massive club. he was famously a bit full of himself as a player, so we've no idea how he'd work at united, who he's repeatedly linked with, and no idea how he'd fare with a huge transfer budget. but you get the impression that he doesn't get really good teams or players.how many times have we seen his villa side get crushed at a bigger arena. (this season aside) and finally, why do vill acrumble come march. you could just tell, despite fionally grabbing results aginst the big teams, that they weren't going to last the distance. squad size, blah blah, it's more about squad management. just ask mick mccarthy.

If he was any use he'd be properly challenging for 3rd with the money he's spent (bearing in the mind the bargains mentioned above). What was it, 135 million? Where do ye reckon Woy Hodgson will end up next season? Too good for Fulham?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back