Making things sound less digital (1 Viewer)

josephk

I'm writing a few songs here and there. I found a decent vst synth which has some nice warm sounding instruments but then my beats sound really digital and cold alongside them. Any tips and tricks as to how to make them sound less cold?

Thaaaaankkks

Depends what you mean by digital sounding. If they sound "mechanical" and lifeless then maybe everythings quantized to fuck so ease off that. Move a few notes slightly off the beat. Takes a bit of practice. Or as mentioned above, if it's the characterisitics of the sound that are mechanical then saturation. For lovely subtle warmth and one of the top 10 most useful plug-ins of all time, check out the PSP Vintage Warmer. Something I use all the time.

i had bother like this before (long before the days of plug ins and all that hoo haa). i used to run drum tracks out through this amp, which was inside a wardrobe with about 5 different mic's in it and then blended the 'real' sounds to make the tracks.

Chances are your not going to get them to sound liek real drums, but you can do lots of stuff to make them sound more natural.

I think the ear can identify a sound which is looping withhout any variation, and gets bored of it. so I always try to add very slight, almost indetectable random variation to tracks.
- add a bit of syncopation or very small (couple of millisecond) delay offsets to indivdual drum hits.
- record the sound of an empty room (in stereo) and mix it in (or add low level white noise varying in volume randomly)
- make sure the drums are not all straight down the centre channel, pan them realisticly
- record the drum track into a shitty tape recorded then back into the computer
- radomly change the pitch and/or volume (or some other aspect of the sound) VERY slightly for the duration of it. (maybe scribble a pitch change in, or wiggle the pitch button, but only apply it very slightly)

All of these things will increase the depth of the sound too

i had bother like this before (long before the days of plug ins and all that hoo haa). i used to run drum tracks out through this amp, which was inside a wardrobe with about 5 different mic's in it and then blended the 'real' sounds to make the tracks.

Nice.

Record them onto tape then back again.

While this would help, the tape will most likely go a bit out of time. I think the playing them into a room through an amp or speakers and recording the room might be a good idea. Cetainly a fun one!

Ferox - Tape simulator
ferox.jpg

is a free tape saturation modeller VST plugin. It has separate controls for saturation and hysteresis effects. Feedback with variable tape speed is provided to simulate vintage tape echos.
It's available in this free bundle:
http://www.jeroenbreebaart.com/downloads/bundle/bundle.zip

Theres also voxengo's free tube amp simulator:
tubeamp-large1024.jpg

http://www.voxengo.com/product/tubeamp/

You may just be using whack samples to begin with and thats the problem man!

Anyway techniques Ive found usuful for making drums more 'warm' or 'full'

As above variation
Layering ,
run them trough a bit of hardware
Sample some of your drum sounds from vinly or commercial recordings

In general if your drums sound whack just try to use better samples!

I kinda forgot I made this thread. Nice one for the responses! I'll make my way through the links now. cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back