Major Pleasures (2 Viewers)

Academy Awards Film GIF by CBS

Sincere good luck with the move, SeanC

Sooo,

Currently moving house again. But this time I'm moving from the doss house to a boat.

I'll be merely renting a room.

I sat there earlier for half an hour, with no stress in my head, I just sat there and chilled.

There's only me and the guy running the boat right now, so I had my pick of the rooms. It's a good room. It's a fucking good room.

Also, he has actually had both his legs amputated below the knee. So being in this bit of the world, on a boat, where my Captain has two prosthetic legs, this is the most pirate I can ever be.

Feeling happy, like proper chuffed. Don't know how this has happened, but I'm good with it. We'll see what the fuel bills are like in the coming months.
Supposed to be some right characters living on boats in London. I look forward to some tales of the high seas! All the best Seanc

Supposed to be some right characters living on boats in London. I look forward to some tales of the high seas! All the best Seanc

I have worked on boats and literally all you talk about is air pressure, winds and the Shipping Forecast.

And also which is worse, a plumbing catastrophe or an electric catastrophe?
If you're answer is "the internet is down", then boats aren't for you.

Not YOU specifically of course.

This boat is good. It is storied and revered, not haunted or cursed like the other ones. and I've somehow fallen into it. She needs a LOT of structural done, she is on the verge of sinking. But I've been told I'm far too tall to worry about drowning.

Sooo,

Currently moving house again. But this time I'm moving from the doss house to a boat.

I'll be merely renting a room.

I sat there earlier for half an hour, with no stress in my head, I just sat there and chilled.

There's only me and the guy running the boat right now, so I had my pick of the rooms. It's a good room. It's a fucking good room.

Also, he has actually had both his legs amputated below the knee. So being in this bit of the world, on a boat, where my Captain has two prosthetic legs, this is the most pirate I can ever be.

Feeling happy, like proper chuffed. Don't know how this has happened, but I'm good with it. We'll see what the fuel bills are like in the coming months.

Class. Nice one.

It'll be reassuring as well that if you end up in money difficulty with the captain and you land in court, you're guaranteed a win.

Shall I just do a "seancs on a boat" thread?

Got in tonight, thought "better check the washing line". A couple of hours of arguing over email with a client and a bit of Philomena Cunk later I realise that it's pissing down with rain. Oh well, too late, washing is wrecked, messed that up. I'm still getting used to all this.

Then, as I was dossing about the gaff, Cap'n calls for me from his room: "I took your washing in earlier, before it started raining". Made my day. Clothes are still damp, but not soaked.

I don't deserve this. But actually, I DO deserve this. Everyone deserves this, I'm just getting it.

It's really chucking it down here, which in itself is nice in a way. I feel all boaty and shit.

Getting back to driving. I've been doing the odd local spin but I drove home from Dublin the other night. That's almost 7 months of not driving.
I am in a similar boat (erm, car). I was off the road for nearly 2 years because of the oul Shakin’ Stevens episodes and got back into the swing of things by driving down to Cork and back. Still knackered after it.

Did some writing and recording yesterday. It was a purely motivational session.

I'm listening to the rough mix all morning now looking for trouble spots (of which there are many) and it turns out the tune is deadly! I didn't realise this when I was doing it.

Love when that happens.

I've been using a new trick to get knives really sharp that I think I invented.
After you've got your knife hone sharp, like finished with the stone, and the steel, you're meant to strop it on a bit of leather. I don't have a strop, but I do have bamboo cutting boards.
So I just use the face of the board to kind of polish the blade. The first drags you can feel it catching slightly as it pulls off the wire edge, and you can polish it up.

When the blade comes off the steel it's fairly sharp, but the polishing on wood somehow smooths everything up a bit more and makes the cut slightly more glidey. The blade would need to be around sticky sharp first (sharp enough that your thumb nail sticks to the blade if you touch it), but I can feel a noticeable improvement after polishing it with the wood.

I've been using a new trick to get knives really sharp that I think I invented.
After you've got your knife hone sharp, like finished with the stone, and the steel, you're meant to strop it on a bit of leather. I don't have a strop, but I do have bamboo cutting boards.
So I just use the face of the board to kind of polish the blade. The first drags you can feel it catching slightly as it pulls off the wire edge, and you can polish it up.

When the blade comes off the steel it's fairly sharp, but the polishing on wood somehow smooths everything up a bit more and makes the cut slightly more glidey. The blade would need to be around sticky sharp first (sharp enough that your thumb nail sticks to the blade if you touch it), but I can feel a noticeable improvement after polishing it with the wood.
I have a Victorinox that I'm obsessed with keeping sharp..although I don't have a strop. I use some worn out 2000 grit wet n dry paper as the last step

I have a Victorinox that I'm obsessed with keeping sharp..although I don't have a strop. I use some worn out 2000 grit wet n dry paper as the last step
oh yeah?
Do you wet the paper?

I noticed when I bought really good japanese knives they had this glidey thing going on, so I've been trying to emulate that with my ancient Victorinox. Which was being thrown away by a cook I used to work with about 20 years ago, since he'd had it for more than ten years and felt he should just replace his kit every decade.

I'm not sure I'm really pulling a wire edge off the blade on the early passes, but I can feel it starts being more catchy which vanishes after about a minute. Then you can look down the blade and it's really gleaming looking.

i used a 1000 grit diamond stone for plane blades, and i have a stropping wheel on my slow wet grinder which i can finish them off with if i need.. for the woodturning gouges, i usually just use the wet stone for sharpening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back