Major Pleasures (2 Viewers)

Uurgh. This client-of-client-of-client stuff is the enemy of anyone who actually does anything . Even in my line of work - I did the Luas website in 2005 or 2006 when I was freelancing, one guy in a village in Co. Louth doing the actual work at the bottom of a chain of consultants. In phone meetings with people in Dublin and France, none of whom were actually doing anything apart from me.

You explained to me a few months back around the hse cyberhack how that industry works - i didn't respond because i kinda had to think about it for a while. Anywhoo what i ended up thinking is that the entire tech industry is just one big 'not fit for purpose' red stamp environment impossible to clear for health and safety. Like say compared to little bridge being built or something - there are known lookup values for concrete and reinforcements and things, comparitively in tech i kinda got the impression if you built the bridge so that one car makes it across once in front of the correct five people then it is cleared for usage. I know that's over simplifying but that was kinda what i took from it.

FWIW the safety-critical software industry (e.g. aerospace) is a completely beast, but yeah an awful lot of tech stuff is just (paraphrasing Terry Pratchett here) a million things simultaneously and miraculously failing to go wrong

I get what you are saying but i would argue that the health board is something i'd class as safety critical.

Uurgh. This client-of-client-of-client stuff is the enemy of anyone who actually does anything . Even in my line of work - I did the Luas website in 2005 or 2006 when I was freelancing, one guy in a village in Co. Louth doing the actual work at the bottom of a chain of consultants. In phone meetings with people in Dublin and France, none of whom were actually doing anything apart from me.

My sister sent me a video of my 10 year old nephew who has autism leading a bunch of kids in song, and doing a solo, on Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer in their local town square today.

A few years ago he'd have never have been able to do that. His school has done great work with him, he's come on in leaps and bounds.

My sister sent me a video of my 10 year old nephew who has autism leading a bunch of kids in song, and doing a solo, on Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer in their local town square today.

A few years ago he'd have never have been able to do that. His school has done great work with him, he's come on in leaps and bounds.

Should have said, the kid, he was pretty good. Can hold a tune and has a decent sense of melody.

Might torture my sister by getting him some sort of cheap synth to play with.

Should a seen him yesterday.

Just for clarification, as I know you're in London.

Everyone is calling him by the correct name yes?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hahah yeah. We just call him Oshi so the brits don’t get stressed out

We had a long chat about this very AITA reddit in this house a while ago. She took some reassuring.

Personally I blame it all on the fact that Anglophones, including the vast majority of Irish people, don't know how to type á é í ó ú. Most people can't even type "€" ffs.

In fact, most people just can't type.

Maybe we are a bit precious about it compared to say Nigerians, Sri Lankans, Bulgarians etc. that I've known who've come over here and just said "Hey, listen, just call me Dave".

We had a long chat about this very AITA reddit in this house a while ago. She took some reassuring.

Personally I blame it all on the fact that Anglophones, including the vast majority of Irish people, don't know how to type á é í ó ú. Most people can't even type "€" ffs.

Maybe we are a bit precious about it compared to say Nigerians, Sri Lankans, Bulgarians etc. that I've known who've come over here and just said "Hey, listen, just call me Dave".
they should have just called him George or Harry or Jamie.
seriously if I was choosing a kids name, I would heavily google it before hand (''Oh shit! Garret Haughey isn't a good idea!'') and generally research the shit out of it.
Wilfred got ruined by Wilfred Johnson.

a kid I know has the same name as a Jamaican singer / model / actor (b.1948).
until the baby was a year old her parents never heard of her. no harm done this time - it's a cool name.
more generally I am constantly stunned that people can make big decisions without putting much thought into things

oh I did this in the US.

There was a girl who some lad was into, I knew her for a while, and I saw her name written down somewhere. Aisling. No big deal. But they'd been pronouncing it so strangely I didn't even that they were trying to pronounce Aisling. I forget what it sounded like, but they'd taken the Irish tradition of making up something completely different sounding, only in a new direction. AZ lane possibly, it was completely different anyway.

So for a while I kept pointing at the name, and asking them to say it. Like, 4 times, because I was baffled. I think I mumbled "that's normally Ash-ling", and they all stopped and said "like...duckling?", and I said... yeah, I suppose? Everyone lol'd and called me a dopey cunt, and that was the end of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

• JohnnyRaz
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back