Major Complaints Thread (4 Viewers)

There's a school around the corner from me with a roundabout outside it that has four zebra crossings on it, one of which gets a lollipop lady in the mornings, and about 50 feet on up the road (literally the only road in and out of the place) there's a pedestrian crossing too.

It's some laugh getting out of here when the kids are arriving for school.

UK_Roundabout_8_Cars.gif

Most irish people do not know how to indicate, particularly on roundabouts.

On roundabouts I once spotted a facebook fight about them, and which lane to use. I was fully sure the adamant arguing person was 100% in the wrong about how they chose the approach lane. I went to the rules of the road to check before wading in chest deep into the discussion. I discovered that I'd been doing them wrong, but the way I did them wrong was the way I'd been taught by the instructor, and the way I passed the test with. All I can deduce from this is that at some point the rules of the road was updated (to the 12 o clock approach method) and nobody was told about it, or everyone except me was told about it.

This puts across the possible theory that everyone with a licence from 2008* and before thinks they work differently to everyone after 2008.

*I passed in 2008, it could be any year after this!

On roundabouts I once spotted a facebook fight about them, and which lane to use. I was fully sure the adamant arguing person was 100% in the wrong about how they chose the approach lane. I went to the rules of the road to check before wading in chest deep into the discussion. I discovered that I'd been doing them wrong, but the way I did them wrong was the way I'd been taught by the instructor, and the way I passed the test with. All I can deduce from this is that at some point the rules of the road was updated (to the 12 o clock approach method) and nobody was told about it, or everyone except me was told about it.

This puts across the possible theory that everyone with a licence from 2008* and before thinks they work differently to everyone after 2008.

*I passed in 2008, it could be any year after this!

My understanding.

1. taking first exit (/turning left) = left lane approach + indicate left
2. taking third exit (/turning right) = right lane approach, indicating right, switching to indicating left after passing the second exit
3. taking second exit (/going straight through) is usually a left-lane approach with no need to indicate on approach; only indicate left after passing the first exit. (I say usually because I think my instructor told me you could do it (edit: use the right lane too), but mostly because I have been known to take the opportunity to overtake slow left lane drivers....)

edit: http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Road Safety/Leaflets/Leaf_booklets/Roundabouts_DL_2012_v3.pdf

My understanding.

3. taking second exit (/going straight through) is usually a left-lane approach with no need to indicate on approach; only indicate left after passing the first exit. (I say usually because I think my instructor told me you could do it (edit: use the right lane too), but mostly because I have been known to take the opportunity to overtake slow left lane drivers....)

edit: http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Road Safety/Leaflets/Leaf_booklets/Roundabouts_DL_2012_v3.pdf

This was what I though too, however recently I did this and got an awful dose of the flashing lights and beeped horn from another driver who wanted to take the second exit and had approached from the right hand lane. I looked it up when I got home and I think I was in the wrong, but I've been driving that way since I learned, and that includes driving instructor and test AFAIK

This was what I though too, however recently I did this and got an awful dose of the flashing lights and beeped horn from another driver who wanted to take the second exit and had approached from the right hand lane. I looked it up when I got home and I think I was in the wrong, but I've been driving that way since I learned, and that includes driving instructor and test AFAIK

no, if you were in the left lane and going straight / second exit then you were correct.

If you're in the right lane and going straight it can be problematic if you're going from a two lane to one lane situation, but i imagine you'd have right of way since you're in the "preferred" lane, and it's up to that other dude to deal with merging.

Yeah, I passed my test in 02 or 03 I think. Pete seems quite sure I was in the right though so maybe yer man was being a prick
You were, he was.

I was taught it by the clock. So everything at 12 and before was left lane. With indicator going on after passing the last exit you don't take. Everything after 12 needed a right indicator.

Never feel comfortable with people in the second lane that are going straight through. I'd call it a grey area since plenty of roundabouts have 2 lanes entering and 2 lanes exiting.

Walkinstown roundabout can fúck right off.

hypothetical roundabout with 4 roads off it. you approach from 6 o'clock, exits at 1.30, 3 & 4.30. if you’re exiting at 1.30 you should still indicate left.

is it different in the u.s.? continental europe? asia? (other than driving on the other side of the road.)

Never feel comfortable with people in the second lane that are going straight through. I'd call it a grey area since plenty of roundabouts have 2 lanes entering and 2 lanes exiting.

I do it all the time if the left lane isn't moving. Some people are really ridiculously over-cautious about driving onto a roundabout and will sit there watching traffic approaching until they're practically invited out.

I do it all the time if the left lane isn't moving. Some people are really ridiculously over-cautious about driving onto a roundabout and will sit there watching traffic approaching until they're practically invited out.

If the right lane is empty, take it, circle the whole roundabout and then exit left exit #1. Technically legal, and guaranteed to give someone a cardio road rage incident for not thinking of it.

the more i drive, the more cautious i become. almost every day i see something that causes me to despair of the general driving standards. until everyone demonstrates they know how to drive properly, i presume no-one does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back