Major Complaints Thread (1 Viewer)

only time i've ever broken a red light was when I had to accelerate out of a roundabout to avoid a being hit from the side, then straight through a ped x i didn't know was there. thankfully nobody was crossing.

i broke a traffic lights once cycling.
i was cycling to work and ahead of me at the lights, crossing the road were 2 people going to school . when they were across the crossing, then the lights changed and sound alarmed for crossing, so i crossed it in my bicycle.

i think it was a habit in that i use the sound of the lights as instinct as to when to cross (i can't drive due to co-ordination problem so usually when at traffic lights, i'm on foot on the other side)

Rediculous planning

WElllllll

I think this requires more consideration.

If the crossings are not at a junction, then as a pedestrian you would be walking really far to cross junctions, like say there was a rule of keeping crossings 50M from a roundabout (giving a driver about 5 seconds from the junction to the crossing to react at 40kmh) then a person who has to go cross roundabout could be adding anything from 100M to 250M to a walk just to essentially cross a road. This could add between about 70 seconds to 3 minutes to a walk (average walker, not elderly or anything), not counting the actual road crossing part itself.

The cool continental types (italy, spain) operate a pedestrian first model where the walker has got the right of way across almost anything like this - with the exception of major roads with non urban speed limits, and for that people across town generally have to drive with loads more chill than they do in Ireland, where the bias is towards a car.

If you push for a car-centred development model then the outcomes are typically that people below the income level of car ownership, children, the elderly and the disabled are second class in design to people with the means to run a car. This creates a feedback loop where car ownership becomes a requirement for living in certain urban areas. The Oil/Car lobby perpetuates and society become more isolated.

Simultaneously, I also am 100% into the idea that people like you who drive as a function of work and carry way too much gear to be considering other options should have similar rights to taxis and buses while leisure and non service driving should be mostly phased out in the long term.

TLDR - I disagree, i think crossings should be as close as possible and offer humans without cars the quickest possible path from A to B and drivers should suck it up or if possible, not drive at all.

WElllllll

I think this requires more consideration.

If the crossings are not at a junction, then as a pedestrian you would be walking really far to cross junctions, like say there was a rule of keeping crossings 50M from a roundabout (giving a driver about 5 seconds from the junction to the crossing to react at 40kmh) then a person who has to go cross roundabout could be adding anything from 100M to 250M to a walk just to essentially cross a road. This could add between about 70 seconds to 3 minutes to a walk (average walker, not elderly or anything), not counting the actual road crossing part itself.

The cool continental types (italy, spain) operate a pedestrian first model where the walker has got the right of way across almost anything like this - with the exception of major roads with non urban speed limits, and for that people across town generally have to drive with loads more chill than they do in Ireland, where the bias is towards a car.

If you push for a car-centred development model then the outcomes are typically that people below the income level of car ownership, children, the elderly and the disabled are second class in design to people with the means to run a car. This creates a feedback loop where car ownership becomes a requirement for living in certain urban areas. The Oil/Car lobby perpetuates and society become more isolated.

Simultaneously, I also am 100% into the idea that people like you who drive as a function of work and carry way too much gear to be considering other options should have similar rights to taxis and buses while leisure and non service driving should be mostly phased out in the long term.

TLDR - I disagree, i think crossings should be as close as possible and offer humans without cars the quickest possible path from A to B and drivers should suck it up or if possible, not drive at all.

no, feck them! maybe have crossings off every road out of a roundabout further from the roundabout.
but i do agree about having the pedestrian taking precedence, but thats in an urban set up. im now talking about further out of the city on the edges of towns etc. very little in the way of pedstrians yet they still have their pedestrian lights right at the roundabout. tiz ridiculous planning

no, feck them! maybe have crossings off every road out of a roundabout further from the roundabout.
but i do agree about having the pedestrian taking precedence, but thats in an urban set up. im now talking about further out of the city on the edges of towns etc. very little in the way of pedstrians yet they still have their pedestrian lights right at the roundabout. tiz ridiculous planning

Would it not be effectively slower to put them apart?

Like slow down for roundabout, then speed up again, then slow down for pedestrian thing.

I understand driving, especially in work context can be a headache, but besides it being a headache i'm not seeing the point in this one :p

Ah lads. We used to talk about fugazi 7"'s and keiji haino. And now it's Urban traffic considerations.

What happened
Minor complaint: I need two tapes, three CD-Rs and a few compilations to finish my Keiji Haino collection but a lot of them are €150+ or released in such a small quantity as to be non-existent. Collector woes.

Would it not be effectively slower to put them apart?

Like slow down for roundabout, then speed up again, then slow down for pedestrian thing.

I understand driving, especially in work context can be a headache, but besides it being a headache i'm not seeing the point in this one :p

They cause major tailbacks around the roundabout and complete congestion at rush hour due to the proximity of the crossings

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back