Maintenance Grants (1 Viewer)

brianoak

I know there was a thread about this before but search function is giving me an imploding error.. whatever that means.

Anyway, I want to apply for a maintenance grant for next year but the VEC website stipulates you need be able prove your residency in their catchment area as Oct 1st of the previous year, in my case 2009.

However I haven't been living in the country for the last 18 months so it seems I may not be eligible to means tested independently. It does say that VEC will waive this requirement in exceptional circumstances so I was wondering if anybody has any experience of a situation similar and if so what did you do?

Cheers

Ha..it really wasn't working.

Anyways, it's more a question about the VEC and not living here for a bit.

Nah you need to present a bill etc to prove it. Plus my P21 or P60 for 2009 would read blank indicating I haven't been working or claiming social assistance. That says your either out of the country or being supported by other means, both of which don't bode well for a grant claim. I emailed the Dublin VEC explaining everything so perhaps they will get back to me with a viable course of action. I just threw this up on the off chance anybody else went through a similar experience and got their grant.

Yup I had a similar experience but I was actually living in the cachement area but my landlord wasn't registered and the bills were in his name so I didn't get a penny. My experiences with the VEC is filled with bad blood fair play to my landlord he did his best even swore an affidavid (or something, a legal document swearing I'd been living in his property and paying rent) but to know avail.

VEC hate me now.

Yup I had a similar experience but I was actually living in the cachement area but my landlord wasn't registered and the bills were in his name so I didn't get a penny. My experiences with the VEC is filled with bad blood fair play to my landlord he did his best even swore an affidavid (or something, a legal document swearing I'd been living in his property and paying rent) but to know avail.

VEC hate me now.

Turns out that if you are out of the country for an extended period of time you are assessed on your parent's means...I'm 28 and have lived away from home since I was 18, this is baffling. I can't believe how insane their public policy is. I have to defer now, register where I live in Dublin for the next year and apply for the grant next year. I left the country to get experience in my field yet if I didn't bother my arse and went on the dole I would be entitled to full fee's (capped) and maintenance....

Turns out that if you are out of the country for an extended period of time you are assessed on your parent's means...I'm 28 and have lived away from home since I was 18, this is baffling. I can't believe how insane their public policy is. I have to defer now, register where I live in Dublin for the next year and apply for the grant next year. I left the country to get experience in my field yet if I didn't bother my arse and went on the dole I would be entitled to full fee's (capped) and maintenance....

Yup it's total bullshit I was 24 at the time and hadn't lived at home for over three years. I just pressed on and paid the registration fee every year it cost an extra €4,500 in the end but it was worth it because I couldn't have waited.

Was in the same situation five years ago. Having lived outside Ireland for a couple of years I returned to go to university as a mature student. Even with a child to support I got no maintenence during a four year degree (just fees) whilst other students in my class who lived at home got full grants! Man it was a serious head melter. Every year I would try and get a re-assesment but the only way they would help me was if I was to defer for a year. I hope you have better luck with them dude! The system is slightly fooked.

Was in the same situation five years ago. Having lived outside Ireland for a couple of years I returned to go to university as a mature student. Even with a child to support I got no maintenence during a four year degree (just fees) whilst other students in my class who lived at home got full grants! Man it was a serious head melter. Every year I would try and get a re-assesment but the only way they would help me was if I was to defer for a year. I hope you have better luck with them dude! The system is slightly fooked.

Thank man,unfortunately no luck. Ridiculous..never got a maintenance grant for my undergraduate degree either despite being 22 when I started and living away from from home for 4 years at the time. I have to defer now which is retarded because next year I will be entitled to full fee's and maintenance purely because I will have lived in a registered Dublin address for a year.

i was told i had a maintenance grant then a few weeks later told i wasnt eligible for it as it was a part time postgrad course.
do i have any sort of legal comeback to this?

I'm 99.9% sure that although they are told not to suggest it to candidates, you can get a sworn affidavit from whoever you were living with to prove you were there. Its a pain in the arse, but they do take them. #usedtoworkinthegrantssection

I'm 99.9% sure that although they are told not to suggest it to candidates, you can get a sworn affidavit from whoever you were living with to prove you were there. Its a pain in the arse, but they do take them. #usedtoworkinthegrantssection

was that for me or brianoak?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back