Made in USA, Made in mexico, Made in Japan.... (1 Viewer)

Anchorman_well_that_escalated_quickly_966.jpg

So if you look hard enough you'll find a good quality cheap guitar, as long as you know what you're looking for. and generally the the US made Fenders have a better hit rate and no need for upgrades off the bat.

Anyone want to trade a nice MIM Fender Strat for a Telecaster of some sort?

I'm considering a telecaster as well.
I was looking at them in waltons, there was a mex 60's tele, only in white (pity) it had a 7.25 radius neck, couldn't believe how thin it was.

Well..I just tonight popped an aftermarket humbucker into my black Squier.
Super feeling guitar.Nice balance when your standing up..just good feeling..action in the microns height.And playing it through my little 5 watt combo with an overdrive pedal..great sounding.I thought I was on a winner.
Brought the Marshall home and today tried the guitar through it..expecting the same result tbh.But by fuck..I've rarely heard anything as bad.Horrible sounding.I was completely depressed.Even passed up on a pink strat I had my eye on.

Anyway,put in the new pickup..and the guitar is incredible sounding.

This is only my second ever go at swapping out a pickup.

On my old guitar I put in two crappy pups that were given to me when two of mine mysteriously died...and I hated that guitar ever since.

This has lead me to a couple of conclusions..and I've been giving this an unmerciful amount of consideration lately..thats how I am..if I get into something I go all out..and its this.

The main factor in an electric guitars sound is the electrical parts.
I'd say they account for 75% of the tone.
Slightly behind..is the nut and saddles..I'd give them 10%

The other 15% ..is a load of stuff..that I prolly couldnt even hear once the main 85% is doing its job.

Secondly..if a guitar feels right..you'll get along with it..and if it dosent sound the best..I would say it is definitely worth the gamble to upgrade the electrical parts.

These are just my opinions..but they are coming from a point of experience at this stage.

What are your fretboard preference. Maple or rosewood?

Maple.Its gotta be maple.

Although I do think that rosewood might actually be easier to play on.
I can't exactly pin point why that is just yet.

I'm considering a telecaster as well.
I was looking at them in waltons, there was a mex 60's tele, only in white (pity) it had a 7.25 radius neck, couldn't believe how thin it was.
I'm on the hunt for a tele too.

I won't be paying more than 200 for one.I doubt it'll be a Fender.

When you think about it..the telecaster is simplest of all the guitars.
Theres very little to them at all.Pure production line stuff.

A good straight hard maple neck and an ash body.Thats basically all you need.

ALthough I do require that it be sunburst

I'd be a fan of the maple neck too. Congrats on figuring that pickups do most of the sound, I'd argue that feel has a lot more to it than you're giving though.

How the strings vibrate, and the sound that they make, will be different depending on a number of factors like body material, bridge and nut material, plec material etc. Those sounds and vibrations are registered with the pickup, so while the pickup defo has the most influance on the sound, the other factors mentioned still effect the tone.
I was recording in a studio a few years ago and one of the studio guitars was a Danelectro '59 with a humbucker in it. The guitar didn't sound like a Dano with lipsticks, but it still sounded like a Dano.

I think we you're talking about crazy powerful pickups like your active EMGs, or overwound and/or really powerful pickups, then they have more of an influance over the sound. That's why I personally dislike pickups like that.

How much of that Dano sound was the metal nut? I'd say pickups are about half the sound with everything else together being the other half, I'd also agree every other part affects it.

I'd be a fan of the maple neck too. Congrats on figuring that pickups do most of the sound, I'd argue that feel has a lot more to it than you're giving though.
I'm a late comer to all the tech side of things.Its only the last 6 months I've really been informing myself about it all.
I was tone deaf for most of my playing years if truth be told.I just played whatever I could get my hands on with the minimum of effort.

I think it makes you a better guitarist though ,if you sound super

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back