Mad Men Season 4 (1 Viewer)

THRILLHO

Contributor
Threads
Website
www.lowbrowculture.com
Jaysus, 19 posts in before someone started moaning about spoilers. That's not bad going.

WHY THE FUCK DID YOU TELL ME IT WAS SET IN 1964? THAT'S COMPLETELY RUINED MY ENJOYMENT OF THE ENTIRE SERIES. THANKS, FUCKWAD.

Richie

Threads
glenn: serial killer in waiting
For sure.. I don't know if he's intended to be like that or is it more a combination of the way the kid looks and how he delivers his lines but he certainly comes across as a psychopath in the making.. I think trashing the house was supposed to be something like a chivalrous gesture for his sweetheart Sally but it felt far more sinister. I like how Don is becoming increasingly sort of pathetic and desperate in his private life (and obviously drinking way more than he used to) as he gets more aggressive and determined in work, presumably he's heading for a messy breakdown at some point.

7 - No tomorrow

Feisty
Supporter
Contributor
Threads
On a platform shaped like a HIV positive foetus, a
Website
theppk.com
For sure.. I don't know if he's intended to be like that or is it more a combination of the way the kid looks and how he delivers his lines but he certainly comes across as a psychopath in the making.. I think trashing the house was supposed to be something like a chivalrous gesture for his sweetheart Sally but it felt far more sinister. I like how Don is becoming increasingly sort of pathetic and desperate in his private life (and obviously drinking way more than he used to) as he gets more aggressive and determined in work, presumably he's heading for a messy breakdown at some point.
Too much hand wringing about D Draper's boozing.
Coming home drunk is awesome.

F. Fred Palakon

Threads
It seems like every blog I read has taken to doing Mad Men recaps.

http://www.theawl.com/2010/08/footnotes-of-mad-men-a-secretary-is-not-to-be-used-for-play-therapy

http://thisrecording.com/today/2010/8/2/in-which-i-dont-hate-christmas-i-just-hate-this-christmas.html

http://tomandlorenzo2.blogspot.com/2010/08/mad-men-s4e2-christmas-comes-but-once.html

Project Rungay totally nailed it with the sense of "of everyone trying to dance as hard as they can to recapture something that doesn't exist anymore".

Pete and Trudy conga line gif anyone?

7 - No tomorrow

Feisty
Supporter
Contributor
Threads
On a platform shaped like a HIV positive foetus, a
Website
theppk.com
It seems like every blog I read has taken to doing Mad Men recaps.

http://www.theawl.com/2010/08/footnotes-of-mad-men-a-secretary-is-not-to-be-used-for-play-therapy

http://thisrecording.com/today/2010/8/2/in-which-i-dont-hate-christmas-i-just-hate-this-christmas.html

http://tomandlorenzo2.blogspot.com/2010/08/mad-men-s4e2-christmas-comes-but-once.html

Project Rungay totally nailed it with the sense of "of everyone trying to dance as hard as they can to recapture something that doesn't exist anymore".
Tom & Lorenzo's is consistently the best.

You're right ttoo, everyone's on it.
The NY Times and Gawker have their own ones also.

Catwoman

Threads
Episode 3 - possibly the worst one yet? Another one that felt self conscious and forced. Don coming on to his ex-wife's niece. Don and Lane on the piss. Joanie freaking out about a finger cut. No, no, no.

Jill Hives

Once Removed
Contributor
Threads
Website
25.media.tumblr.com
Episode 3 - possibly the worst one yet? Another one that felt self conscious and forced. Don coming on to his ex-wife's niece. Don and Lane on the piss. Joanie freaking out about a finger cut. No, no, no.

Yeah, him hitting on the niece was a bit much for me. It doesn't feel like something his character would do but then again his character seems to be going through more or less a mid-life crisis. Trying to figure out who he is since he no longer has to play a part or put up a guard. I thought Joan cutting her finger was on purpose. If she went to the hospital she could have the days off work hence why despite him be a doctor she still kept saying, "lets go to the hospital." She wanted to days off to try to get pregnant before he leaves and maybe never comes back, no? Or was I completely reading that wrong? I like the ex-wife and that whole sub plot. I always have and don't think California equals bad episode. It doesn't feel forced imho, it just feels different like it's changing with the years. The beginning of that decade and the end of it would be completely different. Right now they are smack in the middle in a weird zone so it seems plausible to me.

F. Fred Palakon

Threads
I have a hard time with the Dick/Anna storyline because I just don't believe that Don gives a shit about anyone but himself. Are we supposed to like him more because he acts quasi-nice to Anna? The only reason he's kind to her is to make himself feel better. Don: You disgust me. I almost felt sorry for Joan's husband though and it was nice to see his "good" side. Otherwise it's just baffling as to why Joan is with him.

I liked Lane's stoic hangover.

Jill Hives

Once Removed
Contributor
Threads
Website
25.media.tumblr.com
I have a hard time with the Dick/Anna storyline because I just don't believe that Don gives a shit about anyone but himself. Are we supposed to like him more because he acts quasi-nice to Anna? The only reason he's kind to her is to make himself feel better. Don: You disgust me. I almost felt sorry for Joan's husband though and it was nice to see his "good" side. Otherwise it's just baffling as to why Joan is with him.

I liked Lane's stoic hangover.
My guess, because she's in her mid 30's and wants a baby. He's a doctor (albeit not a good one) so it looks good on paper. She's generally the girl men have affairs with not marry. He wanted to marry her. It was her best option for an end result. She plays a "tough cookie" but underneath you can tell she cares about appearances. It's the only reason why I can see that after that one night in the office when he forced himself on her that she stayed. I do believe Don cares for Anna. Not romantically but she is the one person he could be himself with for years and she never judged him. I think anyone who had a friend like that would care deeply for them despite their selfishness with everyone else.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create a thumped.com account. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

We're listening to...

• Thin Lizzy
    Dublin
    Thin Lizzy
    Thin Lizzy
  • Night Ripper
    Bounce That
    Girl Talk
    Night Ripper

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Trending Threads

Latest threads