Macbook Sound (2 Viewers)

Jill Hives

Once Removed
Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
Website
25.media.tumblr.com
Okay, I seem to have a similar problem here. Wondering does anyone know what the problem might be? When I click to play a song in itunes, it comes up but then doesn't play. Sound wise nor does it move as if it's playing. At this point, I'm sure I need a new computer soon as it's 7 years old but I'd really like to hold out as long as I can before I do that because I've no money. Iphoto recently deleted all my photos from the library (and won't even open the library) so at least I have my music backed up before this new glitch but I'm hoping there is a quick fix. Any help is appreciated.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4307934?start=0&tstart=0

Sounds like something I had on my old white MacBook. What's the sound icon up there on the top right showing? Can you visually see that the sound is going up or down? Is it faded out?

Grab the machine and look right into the headphone jack. Do you see a red light coming out? If so, the machine is outputting digital audio. Those MacBooks have a combination analog/digital port, if the contacts get a bit wonky, it can switch itself to digital out (red light is indicator of this). You'll need to wiggle something about in the port so it switches back to analog. If you have a pair of earphones handy, you can use the jack inserted a bit to nudge it. Failing that, paperclip would do as well.

Sounds like something I had on my old white MacBook. What's the sound icon up there on the top right showing? Can you visually see that the sound is going up or down? Is it faded out?

Grab the machine and look right into the headphone jack. Do you see a red light coming out? If so, the machine is outputting digital audio. Those MacBooks have a combination analog/digital port, if the contacts get a bit wonky, it can switch itself to digital out (red light is indicator of this). You'll need to wiggle something about in the port so it switches back to analog. If you have a pair of earphones handy, you can use the jack inserted a bit to nudge it. Failing that, paperclip would do as well.

Cool, I will try this when I get home. Thank you.

Actually do you know what? Instead of Apple spending vast amount of effort in making their computers thinner (who cares about that?), could they not expend some effort in making the onboard speakers sound really good? If I could play music from my MacBook or iMac without having to hook up external speakers/headphones and it sounded okay, I would be very happy. Surely that's possible ......

Are the other computer sounds working. Can iTunes still locate your library?

Yeah it can locate the library (iphoto can't though) but there is no sound for anything. Like youtube videos play but there is no sound. I'm not sure about alerts because I have most turned off normally. I can choose a song and it will come up to the top box as if it is about to play but it doesn't move from the zero minute mark. I press play then pause then play and it always stays at zero. Does that make sense? It will even register on LastFM because that prompt box appears in the top right every time I try a new song as if it is going to scrobe.

Exactly. I would say that maybe the sound card is blown or something but that doesn't explain the itunes song not even starting. Or is it like when headphones fall out of an ipod and the song stops and turns off. As if it knows it can't play so it just doesn't? I might have to find a cheap PC laptop very soon for surfing the web and watching TV, Seven years was a good run though.

Did you try mine and ann post's suggestions?

Also try force-killing the coreaudiod process in your Activity Monitor. It'll prompt for an admin password when doing so.

Do headphones work?

Is the sound control greyed out at the top right of your screen or is it still black?

Huh... looks like shut down, leave alone for the day and restart worked. All is fine now.
I'll try all these suggestions if it happens again.
I suppose I can hold off on looking for a cheap PC now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back