lower deck gone? (1 Viewer)

i have been asked for specific prices..
unfortunately years of juvenile delinquency has given me an awful memory so i can't remember exact dates or what have you.
but i do remember last year being confused at why it would sometimes be free, sometimes be fifty and sometimes be implied to me that more cash was on the cards..

that's why i personally don't like putting gigs on in bohs, i feel guilty like i'm ripping them off and i'm also very confused as to what's cash kosher.
however i love the venue, and love the staff.

but the out-of-town-ness of it all is what puts me off wanting to have porco dio move home to there.. like it's fine for local bands gigsor benefit nights and stuff that don't have too many expenses but say you've a touring band, or even two, to pay -you're shitting yourself that no one will turn up and if it starts to rain then you're pretty much fucked. no one wants to traipse to bohs on a rainy november evening or whatever.

also, conor... "selling their own shots" ----???

Yeah, the Music Room was great alright...I'd kill everyone on this thread just to get a gig going there again.

What's the craic with Doyles in town, didn't they used to do gigs upstairs?

I love you Hooly! Also, there's an italian in the room at this very moment and she is absolutely disgusted by the name Porco Dio! Apparently "It is very bad things, it is one of the worst things you can say"!

Losing the lower deck is absolutely shite. Constantly moving from venue to venue and watching them grow fat off the bar at gigs and then move upmarket leaving the scene out in the cold is irritating, something more long term would be great but it's probably a discussion for a different thread.

There's a bar on baggot st. that does gigs? Lloyds on amien st. has a dis-used function room upstairs but that place is very locals-only. Theres also the ice bar and the iveagh.

you'd never guess that your girlfriend lives just a few doors down:D

you'd never guess that your girlfriend lives just a few doors down:D

That does make it worse, we used to get the bar for free whenever we wanted to do gigs and only ever had to stumble a few feet home afterwards.

I know the polish bar on capel st. let RAR do a gig, but i hear it can get pretty mental in their too.

hi jill,

that was in a previous gigs in bohs thread and i was equally incredulous but turned out on investigation to have occurred. anyway. not really what this thread is about

I love you Hooly! Also, there's an italian in the room at this very moment and she is absolutely disgusted by the name Porco Dio! Apparently "It is very bad things, it is one of the worst things you can say"!

I never understand that. I've heard French people say stuff like that too. I mean, you'd never see a flyer in like Poland or something saying "Puss-Leaking Knobs presents" and go "Jesus, that's one of the worst things you could say!" I'd just laugh. Why am I typing? This is irrelevent.

Serious point...

When Karen started that "gig discussion" thread, Niall Hope (I think) mentioned something about community halls in town that he had used for gigs in the past. Now obviously we'd all have to be very well behaved but it'd be cool to get a few all ages gigs going on the odd Saturdays here and there.

As a doley, days don't really bother me when it comes to Monday night gigs for example but I'm sure Saturday day time events would have decent crowds regardless of what bands were playing etc.

Plus we wouldn't have to start our weekends on Thursday :D

We could even branch out to the younger crowd, maybe even the community, get people involved that wouldn't normally be able to make it out to our Thursday night socials.

I thought the City Arts Centre gigs were always great, mixed bills and mixed crowds etc.

And before anyone starts with the "why don't ya then" shit, I'm looking into it!!

I'm sure there's a load of holes in my plan but sure time will tell.

Peace out, ya punk bitches!!!!

not the best venue, but what about Frazers? you guys did angora static there before and it was alright i thought. know nothing about costs and PA's though.
it's a shame to hear about the lower deck.

Frazers has gone very upmarket as far as I know.....although best time I ever watched the UK Subs was there in the year 2000ad ;]

Fucking shot that its going. i propose making the last gig the Loudest Ever Gig. What I'd really want is somewhere there can be regular all ages gigs, not in a pub, somewhere like the city arts centre.

What I'd really want is somewhere there can be regular all ages gigs, not in a pub, somewhere like the city arts centre.

What's the story with Chalk White? Or is that consorting with the enemy? :p Thought there was something about a new venue ...

Parnell Mooney is a possibilty, as long as they have a good turnover they are happy, why the cheap pints all day @ €3.30

The answer - our own venue - what a pity that belfast had the warzone and not dublin in its latter years.

i actually think the promoters side of the scene is healthy enough to establish this... 3 gigs a week could sustain a venue, chip in on a good PA?

What's the story with Chalk White? Or is that consorting with the enemy? :p Thought there was something about a new venue ...

as far as i can see Chalk White are an enemy of Blast... the enemies of my enemy...

Theres also the ice bar

hands off my venue ;)

yeah what did ya'll think of the ice bar tonight? the PA is mine and its shit but a fantastic gig happened. Not sure how happy the manager is with me, we went through 11 things that could be stopping me putting on another gig (human pyramids, cormac being cormac, "crowd surfing" is so passé, mongolia being loud etc)

although i saw a few people drinking cans and i regularly checked toilets underneath tables and found not one, so thanks for respecting the venue

its too small for decent Porco Dio gigs though... i dunno

anyway, the way it is with Chris (the manager) so far is just ask 4 weeks in advance, the venue is free to use and you have to finish 10 minutes before last orders... i left at 1.05... 35mins after last orders and there was still people hanging around... bet that went down well

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back