Looking to move business hosting (1 Viewer)

Unicron

Supporter
Solutions
Website
theformersovietreublic.bandcamp.com
We're looking at moving on from our present web hosting/e-mail server provider.

Can anyone recommend a good solution for this.

We'd want to port over all our old e-mail accounts and mail to the new host if that's a factor that's going to be tricky.

Any thoughts,

Cheers

What kind of hosting do you have now? if you're moving from one cpanel host to another it's really straightforward - everything gets automatically packaged up into a single cpmove archive file that gets imported onto the new server. Timing is key; you want to get that archive file generated and uploaded onto the new server as quickly as possible.

One thing to watch out for is DNS propagation and email delivery. new hosting = new IP address for your web and mail servers, so a few days before you plan on moving drop the TTL on your DNS records to something like 1800 seconds (or even 300 seconds) so that the details of the new IP gets bounced around the internet quickly. That process can take days with default values like 86400 seconds (24 hours!) or whatever - that's 86400 seconds before each DNS server refreshes its cache, and there can be multiple servers involved, and during this time some email will still be finding its way to your original server's IP address.

Another thing worth considering would be moving your email service to Google or whatever. It's what I did anyway. Running your own mail server off your own server is a mugs game.

What kind of hosting do you have now? if you're moving from one cpanel host to another it's really straightforward - everything gets automatically packaged up into a single cpmove archive file that gets imported onto the new server. Timing is key; you want to get that archive file generated and uploaded onto the new server as quickly as possible.

One thing to watch out for is DNS propagation and email delivery. new hosting = new IP address for your web and mail servers, so a few days before you plan on moving drop the TTL on your DNS records to something like 1800 seconds (or even 300 seconds) so that the details of the new IP gets bounced around the internet quickly. That process can take days with default values like 86400 seconds (24 hours!) or whatever - that's 86400 seconds before each DNS server refreshes its cache, and there can be multiple servers involved, and during this time some email will still be finding its way to your original server's IP address.

Another thing worth considering would be moving your email service to Google or whatever. It's what I did anyway. Running your own mail server off your own server is a mugs game.
fuck google but also, +1 for using them (and GSuite in general) for mail.

That DNS trickery is solid advice or else they can just plan an outage.

I guess it depends on the nature of the site. Does it need to be up 24/7 etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back