London Hotels/Air BnB (1 Viewer)

Couple of my friends pricelined it last year and found a place in Bethnal Green. It wasn't flagged before committing to the booking but the place banned alcohol, no bar, none allowed in the hotel rooms.
You panicked me there, had to double check my hotel but all is good!

I’m going for Patrick’s Day weekend (or Boxing Weekend as it’s probably known as in the UK and Donegal) so yeah, any recommendations about exhibitions or events on would be great.

We’re also staying in Bethnal Green, only place we could find a nice hotel that wasn’t a million quid per night.

Do you want a box do ya?

Ooh lovely, go see something in Cafe OTO! I think this is on over St. Patricks Weekend.

I'll be in London again on the 3rd for Oneohtrix Point never so we'll all miss eachother. The only thing I really want to do is eat the vegan friend chicken from Temple of Seitan, but I don't think anyone cares about that. I..... do not like London.

Some recommendations off the top of my head of places I know...

Bethnal Green Working Mens Club might have some good club nights on if you are into trashy pop and drag queens. I go once a year for their excellent Eurovision party. Over that way is also the V&A Museum of Childhood and Mother Kelly's if you fancy expensive craft beers. The Gallery Cafe next to the York Hall does vegan/veggie food and the Dundee Arms is there also. It used to be a grimy Irish bar but now is a fairly generic but nice enough spot if you're in the area.

Pubs:

The Pride of Spitalfields just off Brick Lane is one of the few surviving backstreet/community pubs in the area. They have a fat cat named Lenny who likes rubs and can usually be found perched in the bar area.

The Royal Oak near Borough is one of the best in London. It's another backstreet place sought out by beer lovers because it's run by Harvey's and sells all of their beers. Recently taken over by new management and now selling a vegan burger but still doing ham, egg and chips. It has had a bit of a lick of paint but is still great.

Soho wise there are still nice places with a mixed crowd not yet crowded out by shit chains - The Old Coffee House, The Blue Posts on Berwick Street (there are about 7 pubs named that in London which causes confusion), Coach & Horses (Greek Street - sign the petition to stop the landlord kicking out the tenant), The French House.

Food:

Chain restaurant wise Franco Manca is everywhere and the pizza is always good and not extortionate. Pizza Pilgrims is also good. Honest Burgers are everywhere also always reliable.

The Victoria Halls (communal seating, lots of stalls) has opened near Victoria station. Someone told me Roti King in there is 10/10 and it has good beers.

Culture:

if you're into old film or tv then the BFI has a thing called the Mediatheque which is free. You go in, sit in a comfy booth, put on headphones and watch whatever you want from their archives. I haven't been in since it was refurbished but I had a really nice time there before. This can be combined with a walk by the river all the way along to London Bridge and there's usually a food market on by the back of the Southbank Centre.

The Londonist website can be pretty decent in turning up recommendations of pubs and food and help to weed out the shit spots. If you've got any particular kind of things you'e into then let me know and I'll have a think!

Ooh lovely, go see something in Cafe OTO! I think this is on over St. Patricks Weekend.

I'll be in London again on the 3rd for Oneohtrix Point never so we'll all miss eachother. The only thing I really want to do is eat the vegan friend chicken from Temple of Seitan, but I don't think anyone cares about that. I..... do not like London.
I had seen that but not sure my wife will be fussed. I keep meaning to ask her but who talks to their spouse about anything except the kids and dinner these days?

They just opened a Temple of Seitan in Hackney. Love it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back