Locking up Nazi War Criminals (1 Viewer)

Solutions
Given that its Holocaust memorial day and all... Is it a worthy endeavour or too little, too late?

71 years on from the end of WW2 the hunt for Nazis goes on, with Hubert Zafke the latest to be arrested and charged. As outlined in the article linked below, until a change in the law in 2009, a defendant had to be proved to have "committed a specific crime against a specific victim", this perhaps allowing many to escape conviction. The updated law* allows that "you don’t have to prove a determined act that directly leads to a killing”, instead the presence of an individual in a camp is taken as a sign of guilt, this by the individuals presence being seen to perpetuate the running of the camps. Zafke worked in Auschwitz as a medical orderly for a month in 1944, during which time 3,681 people died and, lacking any evidence that he was directly involved in these deaths, he's being tried as a functionary.
While I'm all for trying people who may have participated in what is possibly the most reprehensible act in human history, I'm not so sure that locking them up, if found guilty, serves any real purpose. These people are all at an advanced age and, as in the case of Zafke, likely to be suffering from physical and mental ailments. Further, given the brutality of the Nazi regime, anybody refusing to obey orders would likely be executed themselves and their position filled by the next available person**

Anyway, the hunt continues... Here Are the 5 Most Wanted Nazi War Criminals

Hubert Zafke

Another View

*The propriety of that change in law is also possibly debatable.

**Although the Superior Orders defence is generally rejected, this has only become true since the Nuremberg trials.

Good, and related, points. Many of the top Nazi scientists fled and were left alone for the most part, with some playing important roles in the US' space programme. Going after these 'low level' criminals now seems to be aimed at keeping up appearances more than anything else.

Good, and related, points. Many of the top Nazi scientists fled and were left alone for the most part, with some playing important roles in the US' space programme. Going after these 'low level' criminals now seems to be aimed at keeping up appearances more than anything else.
The actual number of war crimes is decreasing, but the fear of war crimes is on the rise.

The Croats were a right shower of bastards during WW2.
I wonder how much of it was guided by Catholicism as opposed to virulent nationalism.
I suspect that the latter was in part defined by the former. Some of the more crazy Ustase ideologues of the time maintained that the Croats were in fact a Germanic people who somehow ended up with a Slavic language as their mothertongue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back