Lockerbie fella released (1 Viewer)

The differences in reaction in the UK and the in the US are quite telling. The day he was released one of the fathers of the British victims was on the 1 o'clock news on RTE Radio 1 saying that as far as he was concerned there's so many unanswered questions about the trial he's not that bothered about the release, this is in stark contrast to the statements made by some of the American family members of the victims.

i don't think the media seem to be interested in dealing with the large question marks surrounding the case - they're taking the line that he was found guilty in court, and that's the end of it.

The first I heard about that was one of the victim's family members saying it on the BBC website.

JIM SWIRE, FATHER OF VICTIM

Bereaved father Dr Jim Swire: ''It's time we knew who killed our loved ones''

Mr Swire's daughter Flora was killed in the bombing of Pan Am Flight 103. He has long believed Megrahi was not involved and said he was "delighted" the Libyan had been set free.
"I think the whole process was a political stitch up from start to finish, which is something that needs to be gotten to the bottom of. Iran's involvement has never been properly laid out," he said.
"'I'd be astonished, but delighted, if we ever get to the bottom of the political implications behind the bombing and who carried it out."

I don't really remember it happening at all, or know much about it. So do you reckon that's what Scotland were doing, releasing him because they knew he was innocent? I thought they were just flexing their muscles as a independent country, but that it had kind of backfired when the people welcoming him home had Scottish flags and all that. Does this mean that the people welcoming him home were celebrating the end of a misscarriage of justice, or were they (as the news channels presented it) simply celebrating a load of Americans getting blown up?

i spent most of lastnight staring out the window while listening to bbc news 24, from that i gathered that the usa media is sticking the terrorist buzzword to it, so the abilty to consider reality has been removed.

Does this mean that the people welcoming him home were celebrating the end of a misscarriage of justice, or were they (as the news channels presented it) simply celebrating a load of Americans getting blown up?
Mrs. egg_ heard some Libyans interviewed in the radio and they said "As far as we're concerned this man is innocent" so the former, I expect.

The news coverage is fairly appalling. Imagine if, when the Birmingham 6 were released, all the talk in the worldwide media carried the implicit assumption that the irish were happy because some mass-murderers got away with it

Mrs. egg_ heard some Libyans interviewed in the radio and they said "As far as we're concerned this man is innocent" so the former, I expect.

The news coverage is fairly appalling. Imagine if, when the Birmingham 6 were released, all the talk in the worldwide media carried the implicit assumption that the irish were happy because some mass-murderers got away with it

wait at minute, your tyring to say that WASN'T why we were all celebrating?!!1

boycott scotland said:
Because of this I urge every American to Boycott Scotland. It is the only way we Americans can ensure that every nation maintains and respects our rules, our laws, and shares our viewpoint.

988278~Team-America-World-Police-Posters.jpg

should we tell them he's probably not guilty??

lordy! nice one mr sandler. in fairness, i'd be fairly mealy mouthed if that klass one asked me anything.

Some of the calls for a boycott of Scotland are suggesting Ireland as an alternative destination. Now if we could only get the rest of Europe to free some convicted terrorists we'd be out of recession in no time.

i'm assuming you didnt read the whole page?

i did after but i didnt bother editing as homage to my crossed wires. i'd heard a lot about a boycott scotland campaign from bbc news on sunday night there, they were possibly reporting something else though as it was supposedly more like some nut taking themselves serious in the states, i assume that one came from scotland in retaliation. i wonder is it hard to get a stars and stripes kilt.

edit:

http://www.boycottscotland.com/

No one gave out shite about Ronnie Biggs being released on compassionate grounds a few days prior to Megrahi's release.

I haven't heard one word in the Meeja about the flimsiness of the case or a sniff of what deal the Intelligence Services made just to shut up the people who wanted to know what really happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back