Little Phatty? Or just stick to Moog emulators? (1 Viewer)

TenRabbits

Website
www.tenrapid.com
Hello chaps and ladies,

After managing to save up enough to buy a little phatty, I'm now having a
crisis of confidence about whether to spend the money I've worked so hard
to get on something I can emulate! I do use emulated Moog sounds a lot (see
Figurine on Here : Gironans myspaz) though.

Anybody used one? Worth the dosh? Does the emulator sound good enough?

I seem to be going through an 70s house style period (hence the Donna Summer style
vocals) so a Moog would just complete that!

And remember..

hatershate.gif

I have a rather interesting take on this. I am the proud owner of a Minimoog Voyager OS. It is probably the nicest piece of kit I own (although I do love my vintage outboard fx), but I will say this, the emulators are really good and constantly getting better and in a mix, I'd wager it's very difficult to tell the difference. After you EQ and maybe add Compression and all the other mix tricks you're bound to employ to fit your lead or bass sound (or spaceship noises and what have you) into you're tune with all your other elements, the difference between the emulators and the real deal get difficult to spot.
Having said that, I don't imagine it will be possible for any emulator to "emulate" the Moog experience. By that slightly gay phrase I mean, when your sat at your Voyager (or little Phatty) and twiddling the knobs and "feeling" the sound that your getting (because pre EQ and Compression and Panning and generally "Mixing", no emulator ever "feels" like the sound that comes out of a real Moog) it's a pretty unique experience. I'd wager that creatively you come up with way more cool stuff (granted, not a scientifically quantfiable statement) than you will with an emulator that your tweaking with a mouse or a midi controller. Maybe that's bullshit, but I never had that much fun playing with anything compared to the Moog. And outside of a mix, it feels very special.
Bottom line is, do you need one? NO
Do the emulators sound just as good? To all intents and purposes, ALMOST
Will you regret buying one? Almost DEFINITELY NOT
Hope this helps.

You know - that's probably the best response I've ever had to the reasons
for owning a Moog! I just would hate to buy it and then think "ah god, I can
do all this in software, AND it's easier to mixdown". But then - tweaking it
live is half the fun.

And it does sound class...

Thanks Serpico.

Gironans

I gave up on Vst synths about three years ago , I'm not saying their useless put I just hate the interface and workflow and as above. Obviously it depends what your trying to do but I just think the strengths of PC DAWs is like, midi sequencing, audio editing , FXs , sampling and not sounding like an analogue synth. Thats my opinion, I have liked a few vst synths but I dont know its just not the same ,

I like Knowing that I can use my hardware synths live aswell and I dont have to worry about PC bollox, also you've probably never really used a real moog in a real situation so how do you know what your emulating.

The good thing about hardware i feel is that you tend to use less synths more often, its so easy to download 50 vsts and waste ages tralling through a million sync lead and stevie bass presets ughhh

Also hardware synths have a custom interface its alls there for you and its usually far more ergonomic then turning imaginary dials with a mouse!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back