Lets talk about..acoustic guitars (3 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 101
  • Views 9K
  • Watchers 2
I generally play at my worst in shops so don't even bother any more. Just pluck random notes/chords and listen.

The last time I tried a guitar in a shop I did a simple finger style Merle Travis sort of thing..my go-to warm up to see if the guitar is in tune and how it sounds etc. Two kids actually laughed out loud at this old geezer's corny old timey playing.

The pure look of disdain I was getting off one of the shop assistants last time I went in put me right off

I bought an acoustic guitar about six months back, sold at about 150 quid off because it was part of a new line; this was their "launch price". I don't know if they expected me to be picking up a new one every week at full price or what but I was delighted with the discount.

The last time I tried a guitar in a shop I did a simple finger style Merle Travis sort of thing..my go-to warm up to see if the guitar is in tune and how it sounds etc. Two kids actually laughed out loud at this old geezer's corny old timey playing.

You probably should have started tapping on the body of the guitar in between tapping notes on the neck.

Nice one @GO. Little 12 fretters are the business. I've got a similar one but with a mahogany top.

I got a notion that 2016 was going to be the year a got a quality acoustic, probably a dreadnaught. Went in to town last Friday and wandered around between a few places. My conclusions were:
- from 300ish up to €2k there is sod all in it. Played new and old Martins, Gibsons, Sigmas, Epiphones in that price range and they all sounded and felt similar enough. Nothing jumped out. In fact my favourite one in that range was a Hofner dread from the 70s or 80s. Not sure of the price but it was well under a grand.
- maybe its because I have one, but I prefer all mahogany guitars. Not overly bright and lovely midrange. Some of the newer Martin dreads were way to zingy for me.
- Above €2k things get silly and serious. Played Martin D18 from 1959. Light, loud without being harsh, and played beautiful all the way up the neck. You'd get fuck all change from €5k for it. Another from the early 70s, - a notoriously dicey time for Martin - was nearly as good but not quite.

Got my own guitar out when i went home and I've been playing it for a few days. It's totally deadly, I really don't need a new one. I just need to sort the intonation out above the 9th fret. I think its a job for a luthier rather then a setup though. A new bridge might be required.

@mark I didn't even cop it was missing a couple of frets until I got it home!
I was a bit miffed but then I saw the positive side ..it leaves the door open for me to get another acoustic guitar down the line..so its all good.For now I'm good to go.

I din't even try any guitars in the shop that were outside my budget..no point.And the law of diminishing returns would come into play pretty quick cos my acoustic chops arent all that..I couldnt justify shelling out for a top class yoke.Maybe in a few years ,IF I keep practicing.Which I may not...I seem to be pickimng up the electric more at the min ironically enough

@mark I didn't even cop it was missing a couple of frets until I got it home!
I was a bit miffed but then I saw the positive side ..it leaves the door open for me to get another acoustic guitar down the line

The way I see it, pricking about above the 12 fret on a acoustic is a bit naff. Having only 12 frets clear of the body keeps you in the right areas....

In fairness, some of the Run Ons tunes are impossible to play on my acoustic. That's a bit of a pain, but I've worked around it so far.

Last edited:
It goes in waves. I'm playing my explorer again at home these days.
It does.
I have to say..I'm enjoying having a couple of options..I find I'm practicing a lot more..which is a great thing cos me riffs were getting bit geriatric

Is it cool to leave a solid top guitar out on a stand?

Is it cool to leave a solid top guitar out on a stand?

i think so, what would your concerns be, structure or finish? I know if it has a thin finish - as some acoustics do - the rubber on the stand could damage the paint job. Otherwise a decent stand will support the guitar appropriately.

My concerns would be of the structural nature..with humidity etc

I have a couple of these on the wall.. very handy

But now I'm wondering if I'm doing long term damage to them

guitar-hanger-wall.jpg

It just occurred to me that guitar shops keep their guitars out on display the whole time without a care.So it must be grand

As good a place as any to post this. Just acoustic guitar and a simple drum pattern

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The solo that starts with the harmonics at @3:00
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I bought a 12-string on adverts recently for €180. It's takes more getting used to than I expected. On the 6-string I tend to play up and down the whole neck but with 12 tightly packed strings I'm slightly worried I could slice the fingers off myself with a careless slide. Also the neck is very thick and I didn't really try it out properly before buying it, I'm not sure how to rate it yet, but I always wanted one and now I have one. I really want to get a good 6-string but I don't really know how to tell a good one from a bad one in a shop. And I want an inexpensive electric bass, same problem there, I don't know what I need to look out for.
FYI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back