Lets talk about..acoustic guitars (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 101
  • Views 9K
  • Watchers 2
they are great looking guitars. quite bright going by memory, could resonate a bit more. really thin necks, easy to play.

ive read good things about the epiphone masterbilt stuff. pricer than regular epiphones, nothing on adverts at the minute.

nicest acoustic i have ever played was a takamine, no idea what it was. i think it was the guy from juno falls'.

this thread makes me want a new acoustic. the mini martin is nice, but it is a pain being crouched over it to play sitting down. i own half a seagull s6 that my brother found for dirt cheap in cash converters in belfast years ago. im going to steal that at christmas.

I'm starting to think the Yamaha FG 730SB is the lad for me

yamahafg730ssunburst-500x500.jpg

Right I was in waltons for a while this morning playing loads of acoustics. Epiphones, Fenders and some others. The Humming bird sounded rubbish as did that other Epiphone we mentioned earlier. In fact nothing sounded that good. Until I picked up a Tackamine, around the same price as the 'phones. But finally, something with a bit of body to the sound. Felt lovely too.
It's all useless information really as I've no intention of getting one. Then I went to the Le Paul wall and played a load of Epiphones and Gibsons. This one Gibson for €1500 was fucking beautiful. I think it was the 2015 Traditional

Really liking the Sigmas I've played in Some Neck.

I have an old Fenix semi that should really sell, haven't played it in years but probably will again when I'm older.

Right I was in waltons for a while this morning playing loads of acoustics. Epiphones, Fenders and some others. The Humming bird sounded rubbish as did that other Epiphone we mentioned earlier. In fact nothing sounded that good. Until I picked up a Tackamine, around the same price as the 'phones. But finally, something with a bit of body to the sound. Felt lovely too.
It's all useless information really as I've no intention of getting one. Then I went to the Le Paul wall and played a load of Epiphones and Gibsons. This one Gibson for €1500 was fucking beautiful. I think it was the 2015 Traditional
Thats interesting cos I'm totally gone off the Epiphones after hearing plenty of samples on youtube.Fur coat no knickers

I'm gonna hit up Waltons and identify which direction I'm going..although I'm pretty sure its gotta be a Yamaha.
Possibly a Takamine.

Also..I think I might just be saving to buy one brand new in the shop..I'm not in any rush I have the Oakman to practice on.I'll have a few nice licks ready to go when I finally get one

put away a tenner a week have guitar I want in 40 weeks!

Last edited:
I've been watching a lot of the Ghost acoustic instore gigs on youtube. They are playing a couple of Gibsons and they sound so nice. One of them has a J 35 I think, that's about €1,500 of guitar.

@gaz, I was in Some Neck the other day and there's this Ibanez acoustic from I reckon the 70s. It's a copy of those really big bodied Gibsons. Anyway, it was a beautiful sounding yoke, and had amazing action. I never got the price, but those 70s Ibanez copies can be had for a song. One to check out.

I was just in Goodwins there and took a quick test drive of a few ,including a couple I reckoned were in the picture.It wasn't a very enjoyable experience it has to be said,although it was alrighgt,I'm just a bit peculiar.It reminded me why I tend to avoid instrument shops.

I tried out two Yamahas ..the fg730 and 720.Didnt like them at all
A €299 Takamine..which was way better...but still a big no
A couple of Sigmas which were Sigmeh
A €350 fender which SUCKED..and then for the craick I had a shot on a cheapo laminate Fender which low and behold was the best of the bunch by far.Very nice sound and playable

None of them were as nice to play or as good sounding as the lowly Oakman.In fact they were all, bar two, fucking horrible to play...crazy action at the nut...you'd break your hand on them.The man in the shop(who has been there since I was first in that shop amazingly) said lads who go busking want them like that so that they're louder,and his associate said they would file the nuts to whatever height you want if you're buying..so thats cool I guess.

I was far from convinced by the quality of the timber used in the budget solid tops.No density to it.

On the strength of that visit I'll be looking at high end laminates rather than low end solid tops I think.
And steering clear of the big names possibly cos I don't think theres any value to be had at all unless you go up the line

One thing is certain...I won't be buying one mail order sight unseen.Not a fucking hope

So! I picked up one of these

Evolution IV | Tanglewood Guitars

for a Oner.Practically brand new case and all.

I liked the look of it..its small.The action was all kinds of fucked up but I reckon it hadnt seen an allen wrench since if left the factory..or even been played tbh,and it had the wrong strings on it ..way too heavy so they were pulling it forward and all.So I've spent a day tweaking the truss rod and acclimitising her and she's playing sweet now.Cracker of a guitar!Sounds great plugged in too.

Jobs a good'un!

This is my first ever real decent acoustic guitar ..and I am fucking LOVING IT!

I'm swinging from folk to blues by way of jazz all over the gaf

CYUTg5JW8AAEeIJ.jpg:large

Its a sweet guitar...and I'm glad to finally get an idea of what a nice acoustic sounds like.Its impossible to tell whats what inside in a shop with all the noise.And I had gotten used to the sound of the Oakman..but theres a big difference between low end and decent acoustic guitars..to state the obvious in fairness.But you only really know these things once you've heard first hand

Music shops are hellish. Everyone is so self aware, either showing off or awkwardly strumming the best thing in their repertoire less other customers judge them and find them wanting.

Yeah..I'm not able for them at all

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back