Lets talk about..acoustic guitars (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 101
  • Views 9K
  • Watchers 2
I took a chance on a Yamaha FS5 on Thomann without trying one first, the shops were not working out for me and literally everything I read and watched online about these guitars said they were amazing. The worst thing I read was one or two people who thought they were great but ended up replacing them for something even better. Anyway, I'm not convinced. The neck feels thick to me and a bit awkward to get around, the A string is a bit dead around the 10th fret, there is a bit of fret rattling going on around there too and I think the bridge is buzzing. Are these normal things you should be able to fix yourself when you buy a new guitar by adjusting the intonation/action or something? I don't know how to do that. It has horrible new-strings sound at the moment too which could be adding to my disappointment. Should I send it back to Thomann on their 30-day returns thing? I don't know, Denny.

You could take it to a luthier, but that's not a cheap guitar and if your instinct tells you it's not for you then send it back.

I am still fighting with a couple of the expensive ones for years now.

The Squire Telecaster I loved the second it came out of the box. The Epiphone Masterbilt felt perfect the first time I touched it in Jimi's. If it's not the one for that price send back.

Yeah, I'll send it back. The neck is probably the biggest problem. The brother has a real expensive Taylor and the neck on it is beautiful, everything seems to easy to play on it. I want one like that but not exactly the same because it sounds a bit too bright for me.

This just appeared on my Facebook memories. A pretty little tune I wrote years ago and recorded using a voice memo app on my phone. This is my girlfriend's battered old cheap Spanish guitar.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I took a chance on a Yamaha FS5 on Thomann without trying one first, the shops were not working out for me and literally everything I read and watched online about these guitars said they were amazing. The worst thing I read was one or two people who thought they were great but ended up replacing them for something even better. Anyway, I'm not convinced. The neck feels thick to me and a bit awkward to get around, the A string is a bit dead around the 10th fret, there is a bit of fret rattling going on around there too and I think the bridge is buzzing. Are these normal things you should be able to fix yourself when you buy a new guitar by adjusting the intonation/action or something? I don't know how to do that. It has horrible new-strings sound at the moment too which could be adding to my disappointment. Should I send it back to Thomann on their 30-day returns thing? I don't know, Denny.

If it's any help I bought a guitar from Thomann and sent it back the next day. The whole process was very easy and painless.

tweaking setup on an acoustic isn't easy, but obviously do-able.

however if the neck feels wrong, regardless of setup, it will piss you off everytime you pick it up. and you've spent a whack of dough on it - so taking a router/rasp/spokeshave to the neck isnt an option.

Send it back! Thomann are sound once you're within the 30days

Yeah, I'll send it back. The neck is probably the biggest problem. The brother has a real expensive Taylor and the neck on it is beautiful, everything seems to easy to play on it. I want one like that but not exactly the same because it sounds a bit too bright for me.

Defo send it back if ya don't like the neck. Rest of the stuff could be sorted but it's pointless if ya don't like the neck.

As much as ya shouldn't have to get a new guitar set up it's nearly always worth it. It used to be the usual thing for guitar shops to give guitars a set up before selling them but it don't think any of the big box stores do it any more.

I'd usually say set aside 100 quid for a set up after buying a guitar, more so with second hand guitars. Most likely less than that for something new but it's an easy round number.

So many guitars both new and second hand need fret work before they play as well as they should too.

Damn I want a good acoustic now. I'm such an acoustidummy.

I like the fender acoustisonics but I watched a video and they really have to be plugged in. Defeats the purpose.

These are great guitars for the price

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I bought a takemine acoustic years ago. Rarely play it. I don't think I've even changed strings on it...maybe once.

someone pointed out this could be a gibson cremona lignatone. i suggested contacting some neck, the chap who has the guitar likes the idea as they seem to have no current use for the guitar so he might sell it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back