Lets talk about..acoustic guitars (1 Viewer)

therealjohnny

Supporter
Threads
The last time I tried a guitar in a shop I did a simple finger style Merle Travis sort of thing..my go-to warm up to see if the guitar is in tune and how it sounds etc. Two kids actually laughed out loud at this old geezer's corny old timey playing.

GO

Now Is Go
Supporter
Threads
The pure look of disdain I was getting off one of the shop assistants last time I went in put me right off

Lili Marlene

Sleeperbloke
Supporter
Contributor
Threads
I bought an acoustic guitar about six months back, sold at about 150 quid off because it was part of a new line; this was their "launch price". I don't know if they expected me to be picking up a new one every week at full price or what but I was delighted with the discount.

Reactions: GO

GARYXKNIFEDX

Supporter
Threads
Website
Visit site
The last time I tried a guitar in a shop I did a simple finger style Merle Travis sort of thing..my go-to warm up to see if the guitar is in tune and how it sounds etc. Two kids actually laughed out loud at this old geezer's corny old timey playing.

You probably should have started tapping on the body of the guitar in between tapping notes on the neck.

mark

M&S Wine Gums FTW
Supporter
Threads
Nice one @GO. Little 12 fretters are the business. I've got a similar one but with a mahogany top.

I got a notion that 2016 was going to be the year a got a quality acoustic, probably a dreadnaught. Went in to town last Friday and wandered around between a few places. My conclusions were:
- from 300ish up to €2k there is sod all in it. Played new and old Martins, Gibsons, Sigmas, Epiphones in that price range and they all sounded and felt similar enough. Nothing jumped out. In fact my favourite one in that range was a Hofner dread from the 70s or 80s. Not sure of the price but it was well under a grand.
- maybe its because I have one, but I prefer all mahogany guitars. Not overly bright and lovely midrange. Some of the newer Martin dreads were way to zingy for me.
- Above €2k things get silly and serious. Played Martin D18 from 1959. Light, loud without being harsh, and played beautiful all the way up the neck. You'd get fuck all change from €5k for it. Another from the early 70s, - a notoriously dicey time for Martin - was nearly as good but not quite.

Got my own guitar out when i went home and I've been playing it for a few days. It's totally deadly, I really don't need a new one. I just need to sort the intonation out above the 9th fret. I think its a job for a luthier rather then a setup though. A new bridge might be required.

GO

Now Is Go
Supporter
Threads
@mark I didn't even cop it was missing a couple of frets until I got it home!
I was a bit miffed but then I saw the positive side ..it leaves the door open for me to get another acoustic guitar down the line..so its all good.For now I'm good to go.

I din't even try any guitars in the shop that were outside my budget..no point.And the law of diminishing returns would come into play pretty quick cos my acoustic chops arent all that..I couldnt justify shelling out for a top class yoke.Maybe in a few years ,IF I keep practicing.Which I may not...I seem to be pickimng up the electric more at the min ironically enough

mark

M&S Wine Gums FTW
Supporter
Threads
@mark I didn't even cop it was missing a couple of frets until I got it home!
I was a bit miffed but then I saw the positive side ..it leaves the door open for me to get another acoustic guitar down the line
The way I see it, pricking about above the 12 fret on a acoustic is a bit naff. Having only 12 frets clear of the body keeps you in the right areas....

In fairness, some of the Run Ons tunes are impossible to play on my acoustic. That's a bit of a pain, but I've worked around it so far.

Last edited:

GO

Now Is Go
Supporter
Threads
It goes in waves. I'm playing my explorer again at home these days.
It does.
I have to say..I'm enjoying having a couple of options..I find I'm practicing a lot more..which is a great thing cos me riffs were getting bit geriatric

GO

Now Is Go
Supporter
Threads
Is it cool to leave a solid top guitar out on a stand?

mark

M&S Wine Gums FTW
Supporter
Threads
Is it cool to leave a solid top guitar out on a stand?
i think so, what would your concerns be, structure or finish? I know if it has a thin finish - as some acoustics do - the rubber on the stand could damage the paint job. Otherwise a decent stand will support the guitar appropriately.

GO

Now Is Go
Supporter
Threads
My concerns would be of the structural nature..with humidity etc

therealjohnny

Supporter
Threads
I have a couple of these on the wall.. very handy

But now I'm wondering if I'm doing long term damage to them

Reactions: GO

GO

Now Is Go
Supporter
Threads
It just occurred to me that guitar shops keep their guitars out on display the whole time without a care.So it must be grand

therealjohnny

Supporter
Threads
As good a place as any to post this. Just acoustic guitar and a simple drum pattern

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create a thumped.com account. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

We're listening to...

• Manipulator
    Tall Man Skinny Lady
    Ty Segall
    Manipulator
  • Stranger in the Alps
    Motion Sickness
    Phoebe Bridgers
    Stranger in the Alps

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Trending Threads

Latest threads