Leonard Cohen - Songs of Love and Hate (1970) (1 Viewer)

So,this morning,I loaded this up on the Xiaomi and hit the road to Dublin.I listen to music on my earbuds in the van because what can only be laughably described as the acoustics(yeah right) inside of a Renault Kangoo leave a lot to be desired,but earbuds just about do the trick,blocking out the cacophonous shake rattle roll and 120kmph motorway rumble of the oversized diesel powered sardine can I dearly love and call The Green Vanalishi.

I had mentally committed to giving Leonard his proper deserved attention numerous times over the years,but never got any further than a battered old charity shop copy of his greatest hits..the one with the groovy cover that Shaney also had.Which I’m sure I played a fair bit but have no recollection of it now.

Having read scutters moving post about listening to nothing but a LC cassette for the duration of the three week road trip with his uncle in nineteen forty seven..I decided that in tribute to both that fated expedition and as a mark of respect to a fallen fellow troubadour(I feel certain had he lived long enough Leonard would have come to recognize me as a fellow traveller, another journeyman residing in the tower of song ,how long he would’ve had to endure for this sorry rambling attempt at a gag to come to fruition..abort) I would put the album on repeat for both legs of the trip,there and back.

On the first rotation,two songs grabbed my attention,the opener Avalanche and the frankly exquisite Dress Rehearsal Rag...so much so that I had no qualms about the prospect of an immediate second performance,which commenced halfway between Virginia and Kells.

Second time around,despite the thunderous din of the M3 ,when Dress Rehearsal Rag came on I found myself identifying profoundly with the sentiment and indeed the narrative described therein. Coincidentally,apparently somewhere in the distance ahead of me, I deduced that I must’ve been caught in the tail wind of a lorry transporting peeled onions,the miasma of which was obviously penetrating the vans interior by way of the heating,irritating my eyes and as an unexpected side effect,giving me pause to reflect on loves lost and other similar things of that nature.

By the time I arrived in at my destination Id heard the album three times and low and behold,I listened to it all the way home and am listening to it still!

Its a powerful work of art. The lyrics are nothing short of sublime...and the melodies are concise and simple...fucking A 1 Sharon. A masterclass in songcraft.

Also Leo Sayer totally nabbed the melody for When I need You from Famous Blue Raincoat,which I’ve no problem with cos I love Leos tune and I now absolutely fucking love Famous Blue Raincoat too.It sends shivers up my spine.

This is by far the best album club experience I’ve had so far and am very grateful for the opportunity to have a reason to find something to love. ..which is the case with this record.

10/10

Caveat;I didnt proof read or otherwise revise this completely subjective ramble

Sincerely

G.Showbiz

ha ha, amazing

Listened once yesterday. The opener Avalanche is great. Serious Scott Walker vibe which I didn't expect. Rest of it didn't grab me so much but will give it a second go.

That Greatest Hits album was the bane of my life at one point as my older sister owned it and used to play it endlessly. Drove me mental and pretty much put me off LC for life. Hopefully I'm over that now.

and I now absolutely fucking love Famous Blue Raincoat too.It sends shivers up my spine.
The lyrics contain references to the German love song "Lili Marlene," to Scientology, and to Clinton Street. Cohen lived on Clinton Street in Manhattan in the 1970s when it was a lively Latino area.

In the 1999 book, The Complete Guide to the Music of Leonard Cohen, the authors comment that Cohen's question, "Did you ever go clear?", in the song, is a reference to the Scientology state of "Clear". Cohen was very briefly a member of the Church of Scientology, which he had heard was a "good place to meet women."

In the liner notes to 1975's The Best of Leonard Cohen, which includes the song, he mentions that the famous blue raincoat to which he refers actually belonged to him, and not someone else:
I had a good raincoat then, a Burberry I got in London in 1959. Elizabeth thought I looked like a spider in it. That was probably why she wouldn't go to Greece with me. It hung more heroically when I took out the lining, and achieved glory when the frayed sleeves were repaired with a little leather. Things were clear. I knew how to dress in those days. It was stolen from Marianne's loft in New York City sometime during the early seventies. I wasn't wearing it very much toward the end.

Aww thats amazing!!!

I was wondering was it a Scientology reference.So fucking cool.

And his motivation for joining..!..I have a new hero..and his name is L Cohen.

I'm sitting here listening to this album again, paralyzed by awe. Tears streaming down my face, which I take to be a good sign.
I first came into contact with Leonard Cohen as an impressionable late-teen, and the songs on this album consoled and provoked me. I hope my own kids find LC when they need it in their lives.

I found it quite nice to listen to this so often in the week since he passed. I've possibly listened 15 times at this stage and while it was sad enough going at first, I think I'm getting beyond that and am starting to take a lot of positivity from the songs on here.

I remember listening to Dave Fanning on the radio years ago. He was chatting to someone (one of these lads who are 'experts' on everything), and the topic of Leonard Cohen came up. Yer man said he wouldn't ever listen to LC because its was music to slit your wrists to. Depressing as hell. Fanning's reaction was class. He pretty much told yer man that if he thought that about Cohen's music that;

1) he was completely missing the point of the songs
2) he was an idiot

He said that Cohen's music is joyous. His lyrics are joyous and that if you don't take the time to try and appreciate them, you're doing yourself a disservice.

I tend to agree. His songs are often maudlin sounding and can, on the face of it, seem a tad gloomy, but they're not at all.

The 3 'Songs' albums are generally considered Cohen's best albums. Not to say that other albums aren't amazing but with these 3 he really nailed his sound, and made the world take notice of who he was. And no offence to anyone who isn't 18 anymore, but I'm always amazed at how fresh these songs sound given his age when he released them. he was 36/37 when he released this album and I'm sure he was still considered a 'newcomer'. How many other people has this happened for - that they only started releasing music into their 30s, and would go on to be huge? I can't think of anyone.

And though the 3 'Songs' albums are generally considered his best, something I do agree with, they wouldn't be my favourites. I said it in the other LC thread that I came across him in the late-80s, just as 'I'm Your Man' was released, and again in the early 90s when 'The Future' was released. Both of those albums have a special place in my heart, for nostalgic reasons as much as anything else (though I still don't like/get 'Jazz Police' - sorry).

Every household in Ireland seemed to have a copy of 'Greatest Hits'. That and the Pope's Visit to Ireland, on LP. Mine didn't (we had the Pope's one, but not LC's). I bought it as I was working my way back through his catalog from my starting point. It was a while after that I went out and bought the actual albums that most of the songs are taken from. But I did, finally.

Those first 3 albums were never really on heavy rotation with me, not because I didn't like them. The opposite - I loved them. I just found that there was little point listening unless you were in a position to actually sit down and 'really' listen. Cohen's music doesn't work as background music. I'd find my mind drifting.

Which is why this past week has been great. I've put the album on twice each morning and maybe once or twice in the evening while doing little else. To just sit down and do nothing other than take in the songs, the lyrics, the music. The songs are simple, yet complicated. For the most part they lack any recognisable structure, devoid of verses and choruses. A lot of it is stream of consciousness stuff, dissimiliar to anything else really - well except in some cases of poetry being made into song (I feel a new thread coming on).

'Songs of Love and Hate' is a great collection of songs. As an album, for me, it doesn't flow seamlessly. But, the strength of the songs makes that not matter so much. For example, the intro to 'Sing Another Song, Boys' often tempts me to skip the song. 30 seconds later, I'm loving it.

There's a great mix of emotion on here. The gentleness of 'Famous Blue Raincoat', the tenderness of 'Avalance' and 'Joan of Arc', the passion of 'Diamonds in the Mine'.

Just on the lyrics. I listen to the words and I appreciate how poetic they sound, and how beautifully he puts sentences together, how he can articulate simple things in the most beautiful way. However, I wouldn't have much of a clue what most of the songs are about. But thats never been anything I've placed too much importance on. If it's pleasing to the ear, thats good enough for me.

The exception being 'Famous Blue Raincoat'. Clearly thats simply a letter to someone, beautifully descriptive of both mood and place. I recall that the 'Greatest Hits' collection included some text on each song where he explains what each one on there was about. I can't recall any specifics, but I do remember being none the wiser in many cases. A lot of these songs are obviously quite personal so does it really matter what they're about? I don't think so.

The other thing about Cohen is that, if you watch any of the old Montreal footage from the 70s and 80s that's been doing the rounds (there was one video in particular that pitchfork were streaming for a while), just to hear him speak is amazing. This guy was clearly on a different level. Every time he opens his mouth, it seems he couldn't but speak in the most poetic way, even in talking about the most mundane things. It makes you think that penning the amazing lyrics he did was probably something that came effortlessly. And you have to envy that. I often imagined Oscar Wilde to have been like that - that he would talk as he wrote. I guess thats what separates them from the rest of us.

I'm rambling a bit now.

Just lastly on this. I remember that Hal Wilner gig in the Point years back (the 'They came so far for beauty'). One of the first performances that night was Nick Cave singing 'Avalanche'. The Handsome Family played 'Famous Blue Raincoat'. The full setlist for that show is here "Came so far for Beauty" in Dublin. That was a hell of a show, thinking back on it. It went on and on and on. Anyway, point being, I always had a special gra for 'Avalanche' after hearing Cave sing it. And by extension I think that have me a special gra for this album.

Christ this post is rambling.

Good man Leonard

5/5

have only had time for one listen so far. I wasn't fully paying attention and musically it didn't grab me until Famous Blue Raincoat. So I got the lyrics out for that one and really loved it.

More work required on my end.

every track's a great one on this...famous blue raincoat is my favourite

the only bit i don't like is the cringey lyrics about leonard having an awkward three-way with babylon and bethlehem

Both of those albums have a special place in my heart, for nostalgic reasons as much as anything else (though I still don't like/get 'Jazz Police' - sorry).
Cohen's band for those sessions used to call him the Jazz Police as he'd stop them including anything jazzy in the arrangements. The song is an in-joke about the whole thing. It's definitely the weakest on the album but there's a bit of context for you.

Just lastly on this. I remember that Hal Wilner gig in the Point years back (the 'They came so far for beauty'). One of the first performances that night was Nick Cave singing 'Avalanche'. The Handsome Family played 'Famous Blue Raincoat'. The full setlist for that show is here "Came so far for Beauty" in Dublin. That was a hell of a show, thinking back on it. It went on and on and on. Anyway, point being, I always had a special gra for 'Avalanche' after hearing Cave sing it. And by extension I think that have me a special gra for this album.
I wasn't able to go to that, I really wanted to but can't remember why I couldn't, possibly the price. Didn't realise it was 10 years ago at this stage! I have the soundtrack album Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man that documented another one of those shows and it's great. Aside from U2 covering "Tower of Song". Anyway, Nick Cave has a version of "Avalanche" on his first album with the Bad Seeds that makes the original sound positively cheery.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

And in googling for that song, I found that he's done another version of it for some TV show that is completely different, I'm going to guess it's more like the version from Came So Far for Beauty (it's not on the soundtrack album so can't compare).
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I wasn't able to go to that, I really wanted to but can't remember why I couldn't, possibly the price. Didn't realise it was 10 years ago at this stage! I have the soundtrack album Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man that documented another one of those shows and it's great. Aside from U2 covering "Tower of Song".

It was a strange show. It felt more like being at a theatrical production than a gig. It was all polite clapping with everyone staying seated, still and silent during the songs. At one point a lad behind me started singing along loudly to one of the songs. Nothing wrong with singing along, but because everyone else was so quiet, it felt like he was taking the piss. No shit, but someone actually went out and complained about him and he was fucked out.

At one point Hal Wilner came out, said his speil, and we thought there was a song or 2 left as an encore. We were still there an hour later. The place was half empty by then cos loads had gone to get the last bus home.

It was great, but at 4 hours long, was a bit of an endurance test.

I found it quite nice to listen to this so often in the week since he passed. I've possibly listened 15 times at this stage and while it was sad enough going at first, I think I'm getting beyond that and am starting to take a lot of positivity from the songs on here.

I remember listening to Dave Fanning on the radio years ago. He was chatting to someone (one of these lads who are 'experts' on everything), and the topic of Leonard Cohen came up. Yer man said he wouldn't ever listen to LC because its was music to slit your wrists to. Depressing as hell. Fanning's reaction was class. He pretty much told yer man that if he thought that about Cohen's music that;

1) he was completely missing the point of the songs
2) he was an idiot

He said that Cohen's music is joyous. His lyrics are joyous and that if you don't take the time to try and appreciate them, you're doing yourself a disservice.

I tend to agree. His songs are often maudlin sounding and can, on the face of it, seem a tad gloomy, but they're not at all.

The 3 'Songs' albums are generally considered Cohen's best albums. Not to say that other albums aren't amazing but with these 3 he really nailed his sound, and made the world take notice of who he was. And no offence to anyone who isn't 18 anymore, but I'm always amazed at how fresh these songs sound given his age when he released them. he was 36/37 when he released this album and I'm sure he was still considered a 'newcomer'. How many other people has this happened for - that they only started releasing music into their 30s, and would go on to be huge? I can't think of anyone.

And though the 3 'Songs' albums are generally considered his best, something I do agree with, they wouldn't be my favourites. I said it in the other LC thread that I came across him in the late-80s, just as 'I'm Your Man' was released, and again in the early 90s when 'The Future' was released. Both of those albums have a special place in my heart, for nostalgic reasons as much as anything else (though I still don't like/get 'Jazz Police' - sorry).

Every household in Ireland seemed to have a copy of 'Greatest Hits'. That and the Pope's Visit to Ireland, on LP. Mine didn't (we had the Pope's one, but not LC's). I bought it as I was working my way back through his catalog from my starting point. It was a while after that I went out and bought the actual albums that most of the songs are taken from. But I did, finally.

Those first 3 albums were never really on heavy rotation with me, not because I didn't like them. The opposite - I loved them. I just found that there was little point listening unless you were in a position to actually sit down and 'really' listen. Cohen's music doesn't work as background music. I'd find my mind drifting.

Which is why this past week has been great. I've put the album on twice each morning and maybe once or twice in the evening while doing little else. To just sit down and do nothing other than take in the songs, the lyrics, the music. The songs are simple, yet complicated. For the most part they lack any recognisable structure, devoid of verses and choruses. A lot of it is stream of consciousness stuff, dissimiliar to anything else really - well except in some cases of poetry being made into song (I feel a new thread coming on).

'Songs of Love and Hate' is a great collection of songs. As an album, for me, it doesn't flow seamlessly. But, the strength of the songs makes that not matter so much. For example, the intro to 'Sing Another Song, Boys' often tempts me to skip the song. 30 seconds later, I'm loving it.

There's a great mix of emotion on here. The gentleness of 'Famous Blue Raincoat', the tenderness of 'Avalance' and 'Joan of Arc', the passion of 'Diamonds in the Mine'.

Just on the lyrics. I listen to the words and I appreciate how poetic they sound, and how beautifully he puts sentences together, how he can articulate simple things in the most beautiful way. However, I wouldn't have much of a clue what most of the songs are about. But thats never been anything I've placed too much importance on. If it's pleasing to the ear, thats good enough for me.

The exception being 'Famous Blue Raincoat'. Clearly thats simply a letter to someone, beautifully descriptive of both mood and place. I recall that the 'Greatest Hits' collection included some text on each song where he explains what each one on there was about. I can't recall any specifics, but I do remember being none the wiser in many cases. A lot of these songs are obviously quite personal so does it really matter what they're about? I don't think so.

The other thing about Cohen is that, if you watch any of the old Montreal footage from the 70s and 80s that's been doing the rounds (there was one video in particular that pitchfork were streaming for a while), just to hear him speak is amazing. This guy was clearly on a different level. Every time he opens his mouth, it seems he couldn't but speak in the most poetic way, even in talking about the most mundane things. It makes you think that penning the amazing lyrics he did was probably something that came effortlessly. And you have to envy that. I often imagined Oscar Wilde to have been like that - that he would talk as he wrote. I guess thats what separates them from the rest of us.

I'm rambling a bit now.

Christ this post is rambling.

Good man Leonard

5/5

Here, this is a fantastic post. 5/5. I watched a video earlier of him speaking French, he wasn't quite as effortlessly poetic in French it seems.

I am listening to the album now. Was familiar with a few songs from that (in)famous best of. A bit like listening to early Lou Reed/VU, one thing that blasts out of it is its influence on a lot of what came later. The sardonicism, the all but self-parodying vocal style, in particular were blueprints for whole swathes of later era musicians.

One thing I took from Cohen as a songwriter was the idea of humour in a song without the primary mode of the song being humorous.

Another thing about Cohen and his relative ancientness when he came to the fore, I feel his songs possess layers of emotion and meaning that would be quite difficult (but of course not impossible) for a younger songwriter to articulate and impart. There is a vague archness to his delivery but not too much that it sinks the ship.

I am listening to the album now. Was familiar with a few songs from that (in)famous best of. A bit like listening to early Lou Reed/VU, one thing that blasts out of it is its influence on a lot of what came later. The sardonicism, the all but self-parodying vocal style, in particular were blueprints for whole swathes of later era musicians.

One thing I took from Cohen as a songwriter was the idea of humour in a song without the primary mode of the song being humorous.

Another thing about Cohen and his relative ancientness when he came to the fore, I feel his songs possess layers of emotion and meaning that would be quite difficult (but of course not impossible) for a younger songwriter to articulate and impart. There is a vague archness to his delivery but not too much that it sinks the ship.

that's a great point - about his age and having maturity when writing. And on his humour, its so self-deprecating at times whereas at other times he has no issue bestowing greatness on himself - "I'm the little Jew who wrote the bible" - "I was born like this, I had no choice, I was born with the gift of a golden voice."

I remember when I was getting into this album, around the same time I was on holiday over in America. I took a Chinatown bus from Boston to New York. That leaves you (obviously) in Chinatown, which is towards the south of Manhattan island. I was staying in Midtown and decided to walk the 15 or so blocks. But I remember passing Clinton St, and seeing the Chelsea Hotel, and I recall it bringing a whole other layer of realness to the songs. It's not as if they weren't already very visual songs (in the sense of mental imagery it might conjure), but it was off the scales after that.

Another thing that brought the songs even more to life than they already were, were those gigs he played. When he appeared on stage he had such sincerity and humility. So much so that he kept introducing the band after *every* song. It would have been annoying if it wasn't so damn endearing. But it gave an idea of the character of the genius behind these amazing songs. These songs will stand the test of time.

They said about Bowie that, weren't we lucky to have lived at the same time as he did. I'd certainly say the same of L.Cohen.

I will say this though, Dress Rehearsal Rag is absolutely one of the best lyrics I've ever heard.

"And then the cameras pan
The stand in stuntman,
Dress Rehearsal Rag"

That line just rocks my fucking world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back