learning an instrument (2 Viewers)

i'm just curious how much my brain is set in stone now i'm more than halfway into my 40s. it didn't excel at music even when i was in my teens. i tried playing guitar back then but was lazy and sold my guitar when the music didn't start flowing magically from my fingertips.

Less than is reported or rumoured, brain plasticity continues through life and regular non strenuous excercise aids it for some reason i've forgotten

Anywhoo as a ex guitar teacher my recommendation is

regardless of which instrument you try, or wether you go online, in person or self guided you have to treat the first few weeks like starting a gym. you hand / ear coordination needs time to grow, you need to get a few things down to muscle memory and to be honest playing guitar is kinda about as natural is gripping a staircase banister tightly for 30 mins, so the first few weeks the body cries out a bit while learning a few things at once.

Less than is reported or rumoured, brain plasticity continues through life and regular non strenuous excercise aids it for some reason i've forgotten

Anywhoo as a ex guitar teacher my recommendation is

regardless of which instrument you try, or wether you go online, in person or self guided you have to treat the first few weeks like starting a gym. you hand / ear coordination needs time to grow, you need to get a few things down to muscle memory and to be honest playing guitar is kinda about as natural is gripping a staircase banister tightly for 30 mins, so the first few weeks the body cries out a bit while learning a few things at once.
neurons that fire together wire together. paging @Cornu Ammonis

i guess epiphone no longer make the express, the 3/4 scale electric guitar? was around at my sisters today and was asked to tune the shitty electric guitar she bought her sons, and just gave up, it's barely fit for firewood, simply cannot be tuned. the two lads don't bother trying to play it because it simply cannot be tuned correctly.

i guess epiphone no longer make the express, the 3/4 scale electric guitar? was around at my sisters today and was asked to tune the shitty electric guitar she bought her sons, and just gave up, it's barely fit for firewood, simply cannot be tuned. the two lads don't bother trying to play it because it simply cannot be tuned correctly.
I've never come across a factory made guitar that couldn't be made playable.

I just google it ..22" same as mustang kinda.

The shorter ones often need to be tuned up a step to give a playable tension. I had a Hannah Montana axe that needed to be tuned to f#

I've never come across a factory made guitar that couldn't be made playable.
this is a level below what i suspect you're used to. probably bought in smyth's. was tuned too high for normal tuning, so i tuned the low e down to where it should have been (i accept that normal tuning may not be the way to go), and by the time i'd tuned the next string down to A, it had thrown the low E too high - changing the tension on one string was having an effect on the tuning on all the others, so i suspect the neck was flexing.

this is a level below what i suspect you're used to. probably bought in smyth's. was tuned too high for normal tuning, so i tuned the low e down to where it should have been (i accept that normal tuning may not be the way to go), and by the time i'd tuned the next string down to A, it had thrown the low E too high - changing the tension on one string was having an effect on the tuning on all the others, so i suspect the neck was flexing.

It would be odd to throw out by much - but all necks will shift slightly with string tension. I do see there’s no truss rod in that yoke you shared

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back