Learning a foreign language (1 Viewer)

Has anyone ever tried a language exchange thing where you chat with someone on skype and you learn their language and they learn english? I'd say it's grand when you're doing the other language but a pain in the hole when you're trying to help them with english. Or maybe they speak english and you respond in their language? I dunno. Most non-native english speakers are probably better at it than me anyway. It turns out I've already signed up for Live Mocha and I have 40,999 of their points but I'm not sure what to do with it. I don't really want to do their lessons but theres nobody on the "Language Partners" page and I don't know where to find some.
did you ever follow this up?

I never went for lessons in the end. Thinking about it again though. I used to live with a spanish girl and she contacted me out of the blue after several years and wants to chat the whole time. I could use this to my benefit I suppose.

No, I didn't follow it up. I'm still too shit to put anyone through the torture trying to chat me. I'm still trying to learn though, I love it. I'm learning Farsi. I'm using easypersian.com in conjunction with pimsleurs farsi and flash cards to memorize vocabulary. I can type in farsi on me phone and pc too.

من استعفا گردانم

That means "I have resigned", which will be useful if I ever want to quit thumped in a huff and to do it through farsi.

@scutter quit in plain old english.

I logged back into live mocha again the other day and gazillions of people have started asking me to be language partners with them. It could be pretty good if you get someone at a similar level at english to your own level in their language. I've just spent an hour chatting to a nice Iranian lady in skype. She's a doctor, fed up with Iran. Apparently the ladies there will be turned back from the airport if they dont have permission from their families to go abroad and the men are all selfish assholes. Religion has the place wrecked, she says. I only got in about 2 words of farsi though.

Has anyone ever tried a language exchange thing where you chat with someone on skype and you learn their language and they learn english? I'd say it's grand when you're doing the other language but a pain in the hole when you're trying to help them with english. Or maybe they speak english and you respond in their language? I dunno. Most non-native english speakers are probably better at it than me anyway. It turns out I've already signed up for Live Mocha and I have 40,999 of their points but I'm not sure what to do with it. I don't really want to do their lessons but theres nobody on the "Language Partners" page and I don't know where to find some.
Live Mocha are closing down next week :(

gasp!

How are you getting on with the spanish birds. @scutter ?

an update on this. I signed up for a site called mylanguageexchange.com, which is one of those sites that match people who want to learn each other's language.

I wanted someone Spanish because there'd be no timezone issues. The Spaniards seemed slow getting back so now I'm chatting away to a girl in Colombia and another couple in Mexico. And they're all lovely.

They're all mad to learn English so will be as patient as can be with helping you learn Spanish.

Its all great, so far.

I think the trick is to find someone who's worse at English than you are at whatever language they speak. That way you're less likely to just speak English when you're tired, lazy it impatient.

maybe, but I still need a bit of hand-holding at this point. I probably should have held off signing up til I'm a bit stronger.

I did a basic class that was 1 hour per week for 8 weeks. Its over now so I need a way to carry it on. This was one way. Finding another (more intensive) class is another.

I installed this thing called Lingbe on my phone last night. You put in your native language and the language you want to learn and have phone calls with other people. To earn some of their Lingo credits you have to be available to help people learn your native language, you can't just practice the language you want. Which is kinda good I suppose but I've been getting all these lads from all over the world ringing me and hanging up after a few seconds and it's a pain in the hole. You don't get any Lingos if the call is less than two minutes. I think they're hoping a girl will answer, you don't know who you're going to get when you call. It seems like it could be a great yoke for creeps and weirdos.

I installed this thing called Lingbe on my phone last night. You put in your native language and the language you want to learn and have phone calls with other people. To earn some of their Lingo credits you have to be available to help people learn your native language, you can't just practice the language you want. Which is kinda good I suppose but I've been getting all these lads from all over the world ringing me and hanging up after a few seconds and it's a pain in the hole. You don't get any Lingos if the call is less than two minutes. I think they're hoping a girl will answer, you don't know who you're going to get when you call. It seems like it could be a great yoke for creeps and weirdos.

I found mylanguageexchange.com to be very good. I might even go back on it again because all the people I matched with are in timezones that make it awkward to chat. Colombians and Mexicans were mad to learn english, and I found them to be lovely people too.

Could really do with someone on the same timezone, and it'd be more useful to me now since I'm starting my second course in the cervantes spanish place.

That lingbe thing sounds a bit like chatroulette tbh.

And, 2 of the girls I spoke to (one mexican, one colombian), but said that they had spoke with a few people before me, but they were weirdos. Started talking about dirty shite, or one lad even started pulling his flute. Fuckin men are cunts.

yeah, anyway.

OK.
I'm horrible and my advice on languages should not be followed in any circumstancs... hewever.

Duolingo - I dropped after 2 days

Rosetta Stone - A very expensive way to know the word for everythibng and still be completely incapable of communication

I found the FSI stuff good. Quite old fashioned. They are in the public domain as they were produced by the US state department but you need to do a bit off googling to find them for free. They are the only thing I stuck with for any lenth of time.

Sup all. I'm learning Japanese. Anyone taken on this mighty feat before and have words of wisdom?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back