Land Lovers & Groom (and also Herm) do some gigs together this weekend (1 Viewer)

Moods For Mallards

Hailing from the world of Dublin indie-pop, Land Lovers and Groom are 10 men united by one goal: to bring their message of fratricidal terror to Mullingar and Galway.
They'll do just this at the Stables on Friday and the Roisin Dubh on Monday.
If you're in either of these vicinities, come along, bring your guitar and help yourself to the handy chord sheets that are hidden inside each song.

They'll be joined in Galway by the terrific Herm.

Both Land Lovers and Groom have other gigs lined-up over the course of the upcoming bank holiday weekend. Check the following places for details:
myspace.com/landlovers
myspace.com/groomtheband

To sum up:

Land Lovers, Groom and guests
The Stables, Mullingar
Friday 31st July
Doors 9PM, Admission 7 euro

Groom, Land Lovers, Herm
Roisin Dubh, Galway
Monday, 3rd August
Doors 9PM, Admission: FREE

Now for some details on the players:

l_3ee7c89372f24e8996da9313e6c38313.jpg

Land Lovers, initially the sole concern of Pádraig Cooney, is now five-strong and customisable for parties, luxury cruises and state funerals. Together, they saunter down corridors of guitarry pop, synthy rock and showy sing-songs. The album "Romance Romance" was released in September '08, and received its fair share of critical acclaim. They take their name and some influence from Luke Haines, and would invite Elvis Costello, Stephin Merritt, Bob Pollard, Robert Forster and Dan Boeckner to their weddings. They worked on a 6-song very short album, “Immovable Feet” in early 2009, and it is now for sale. It features all five members playing together on record for the first time.

From "Romance Romance" reviews:

[FONT=&quot]"This excellent debut delivers bang up to date, uncommonly smart pop. Fresh melodies engage first, then fantastic lyrics kick in... Achingly sweet... the wonderful, self conscious love song The Black Country easily lives up to the standard of Back on the Chain Gang, from which it borrows its opening riff... perfectly formed collection" - 4/5, The Ticket (Irish Times)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“[/FONT][FONT=&quot]A sparky little gem from Dublin’s DIY leftfield… with a stinging lyric sheet. Vocalist Pádraig Cooney is both wounded poet and cynical dissector of modern mores and his sonic furnishings of clipped guitars and wobbly eighties synths make for a smart, no-frills backdrop. A hugely promising and highly recommended debut.” – 4/5, RTÉ Guide[/FONT]

Groom_photo.jpg

Groom is a pop band from Dublin whose members are Mike, Wil, Brian, Jeroen and Ruan, in that order. Haven’t heard of these guys? Well, their first album proper, ‘All This Happened, More Or Less’ ( Fairview House, 2006) was described by seminal blog Said The Gramophone as “..childish, playful, not-at-all wise...Groom have almost realised the lie - but still they're yelling it, all together, like fools, like fools, like lovesick fools.

Their next album, ‘At the Natural History Museum’ was released on US label Tight Ship Records in 2009. Here’s what people said about it:

“…a truly wonderful band…charming, beautiful pop songs…” – Viva Indie Rock

“The title track from their forthcoming album 'At the Natural History Museum', an epic nine minutes long, is a nailed on curio with its mix of spacey intro merging into a bucolic Tyrannosaurus Rex (i.e. when T-Rex were folkies) dittie before culminating in a barrage of grade A riffage.” – Artrocker/The Devil Has the Best Tuna

“…they offer up something sadly missing on the Dublin scene….I could listen to it all day in fact.” – Mp3hugger

“Genius…Stevens's vocal stylings and, indeed, lyrics, are best described as the result of Neil Young and Kate Bush's lovechild snorting the ashes of Elliott Smith” – Key Notes

“…an impressive collection of catch-driven, guitar based pop songs.” – Milk Milk Lemonade

awe-inspiringthis is indiepop as it damn well should be!” – 17 Seconds

Groom has played gigs with Jeff Tweedy (Wilco), Deanna Varagona (Lambchop), Suburban Kids With Biblical Names, Evangelicals, as well as lots of other great Irish and European acts, including Crevecouer, Thinguma*jigSaw, Spook of the 13th Lock, Mumblin’ Deaf Ro, and many more.

fotobyBridNiLuasigh.jpg

[FONT=&quot]INTRO[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ex-El Diablo member Herm is the product of a short-lived relationship in the late 70’s between Her and Him. He wrote his first song at the age of eight, about alcohol addiction… [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]THE HERMANOS[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Several years later Herm got a band of like-minds together and began songwriting and gigging in earnest. Their live shows were energetic and raucous and Herm developed his idiosyncratic style of neurotic indie rock, earning comparisons with Tom Waits, Beck and The White Stripes among others… [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]THE ALBUM[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]‘Monsters’ was recorded over several months and in several living rooms and kitchens around Ireland. Inspired by albums such as Tom Waits’ “Bone Machine“ and the Beastie Boys’ “Check Your Head”, Herm set out to document a wide range of styles and sentiments. He collaborated with artists such as guest vocalists Nina Hynes (on the bittersweet gorgeous ‘Year Of The Horse’) and Michelle Considine (on the unhinged ‘Cellar Door’) along with various other Hermanos past and present and the resultant album showcases Herm’s taste for classic songwriting, albeit filtered through guitar freakery and impure thoughts. It is available on Catchy Go Go in Tower and Road Records, Dublin, as well as online at CDBaby.Com, iTunes and all the usual places…[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]THE REVIEWS[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“A must for fans of uneasy listening” - HotPress[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Herm can expect to be, indeed, deserves to be, at the forefront of Irish indie music's new golden age” - Cluas.com[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Herm is a reminder that, sometimes, the best music is to be found in the eerie spaces at the edge of town.” – Metro Ireland[/FONT]

I'll just note here that we (Land Lovers) are also playing gigs in Cork (Thursday night at the Pavilion with Cajole & Bully) and Castlepalooza (Saturday about 4:30) this weekend.

It might also be noted that the godfather to that aforementioned godson is the guest bass player for Land Lovers at the Cork gig. An extra incentive there for you southerners.

I shall bump it.

Land Lovers have gotten on the road before us, the slick fellows that they are, and played Cork last night. We shall join them tonight in the Stables, Mullingar, so if anyone from that neck of the woods is around tonight, come down!

See you jerks in Galway. I assume after the gig we'll all be drinking ourselves until we unconsciously drift out into the Atlantic ocean toward our collective demise.

See you jerks in Galway. I assume after the gig we'll all be drinking ourselves until we unconsciously drift out into the Atlantic ocean toward our collective demise.

Only if by that you mean "driving back to Dublin".

Jeroen has to be back in work for 9am monday morning and I have stuff to do too. Save it until the 22nd!

Three of Land Lovers will drink inglorously along with our Groom and Herm Com-Rads. Should be good craic.

I'm on the internet, on my laptop, in a car-park in Mullingar. THe rain is unrelenting. This is the life.

Three of Land Lovers will drink inglorously along with our Groom and Herm Com-Rads. Should be good craic.

I'm on the internet, on my laptop, in a car-park in Mullingar. THe rain is unrelenting. This is the life.

That's the shit right there. Hemorrhaging money, endlessly lugging your gear about, setting up and taking that gear down, getting pissed on as you do all of the above. That's certainly why I started playing music.

Damn straight, Hugh. Here we are, being amazing and cool. Watch out for the cameo by Sweet Oblivion on tshirts:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back