Lambchop in Cork TONIGHT! New music for 1927 film LIVE (1 Viewer)

stunning

Website
www.hootnight.com
Lambchop
Sunrise: A Song of two Humans

8pm Cork Opera House - Thurs Dec 2, 2004

Film & Music live
(Director: Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau, USA 1927 / Music: Lambchop)

German director F.W. Murnau’s first American movie, “Sunrise”, “represents the art of the wordless cinema at its zenith” (All Movie Guide). “Sunrise” tells the story of a happily married farmer from a rural village who falls under the seductive spell of an evil temptress from the city. Routinely appearing on critics’ “Ten Best” lists of the greatest films ever made, “Sunrise” is particularly celebrated for its elaborate sets through which Murnau’s camera glides to produce stunning long takes and atmospheric effects. The fable-like, poignant story, subtitled “A Song of Two Humans”, is a silent-era melodramatic masterpiece – a beautiful, lyrical and poetic work of arts with roots in the German Expressionist movement. Murnau had planned the movie in Germany, and it was the first feature film released with sound-on-film, with a synchronized Movietone musical score by Hugo Riesenfeld. Released in the first year of the Academy Awards (“Oscar”), the film was honoured with four nominations and it won all but Interior Decoration. The moving camera used at “Sunrise” was to influence future films, including John Ford’s “The Informer” (1935) and Orson Welles’ “Citizen Kane” (1941). A real milestone of modern cinema.

Lambchop have been asked by San Francisco Film Festival to write a new music to this singular film and they did. Their breathtaking new score to Murnau’s “Sunrise” was first performed in San Francisco in 2003 and will now hit Europe for the very first time – a fine example of “trans-continental feedback”, taking into account that the movie had been planned in Germany and then been filmed in Hollywood, whilst Lambchop’s music has been written in Nashville and will now be performed in Europe. Band will travel with a new 35mm copy of the film and will play their music live to the screening. It’s a real exclusive and most likely a one-time-only performance, seeing one of the most influential and fascinating American bands of our days doing such a special project. Lambchop brings its distinctive hybrid of country, jazz and Memphis soul sound that is as brilliantly original as the film it accompanies. Forging a bridge between country and avant-garde, Lambchop adds a layer of aural poetry to the proceedings with its expressionist lyrics and dazzling display of instrumental sounds ranging from guitars to grand-piano. In another world, perhaps Murnau and Lambchop would have teamed up themselves…

I was a bit dissappointed when I saw this show last week. I'd prefer to see the musicians playing live and have the movie as a background image. What they had was a screen covering the stage so all you could see was the film (for all you know the show could be taped and the band go off and have a coffee or something:D )

But having said that the sound was excellent and the movie keeps you interested

Bluto said:
I was a bit dissappointed when I saw this show last week. I'd prefer to see the musicians playing live and have the movie as a background image. What they had was a screen covering the stage so all you could see was the film (for all you know the show could be taped and the band go off and have a coffee or something:D )

But having said that the sound was excellent and the movie keeps you interested

aargh bollix! I want to SEE lambchop, not hear them. ;) Still I always have my spitting seat. Anyone sitting below the balcony beware!

where did you see them last week?

Bluto said:
I was a bit dissappointed when I saw this show last week.

Where did you see it? Maybe the set up will be different at the Opera House.

Hey Plug, can I walk from Kent Station into town or should I get a taxi? Are you in Ten Past Seven? Are you the crazy funny drummer? Loved your Whelan's gig this year with the Rednecks. Assuming you ARE in Ten Past Seven that is.

stunning said:
Where did you see it? Maybe the set up will be different at the Opera House.

Hey Plug, can I walk from Kent Station into town or should I get a taxi? Are you in Ten Past Seven? Are you the crazy funny drummer? Loved your Whelan's gig this year with the Rednecks. Assuming you ARE in Ten Past Seven that is.
I am a drummer, but no-one will have me at the moment, so I'm playing with myself a lot more than usual. so, no, I'm not in TP7 in other words! TP7 rock.

the train station is fuck all distance from town, just turn left when you get out of the station and walk straight down summerhill north until you get to the end of it and you see another (one way in the opposite direction) street, called maccurtain street (you'll see an arcade place/bowling alley on the left). carry on down mccurtain st hang a left at the end of it. you'll see patrick st over the bridge. that's the centre. less than five minutes walk (depending on how fast you walk that is!)

the opera house is nearby. anyone downtown will point you in the right direction, provided you can understand what they're "saying" knowhaaraamean boooyyeee!!! :)

Jim A. Morrish said:
I got an e-mail from the opera house yesterday offering discount on tickets which usually indicated they're not selling well.
interesting.. same with a guy here at work. but when I went to get a ticket they only had balcony seats left.. :confused:

plug said:

113L.jpg

Jim A. Morrish said:
I got an e-mail from the opera house yesterday offering discount on tickets which usually indicated they're not selling well.
that discount was for a whole €2.50 or something though i heard (not on the mailing list myself though so that might be wrong). i'd say this will be cool enough alright but 25 quid or whatever it costs is a bit steep so fuck it.

ddmurph said:
that discount was for a whole €2.50 or something though i heard (not on the mailing list myself though so that might be wrong). i'd say this will be cool enough alright but 25 quid or whatever it costs is a bit steep so fuck it.

i'm in the foreign lands of dublin til tmrw so i'm going to miss it anyways. certainly seems steep though

this was so worth going to. I'm glad I found out the band weren't gonna be visible earlier in the day so I could get used to the idea.

brilliant movie. any movie with a runaway drunken piglet has to be worth mentioning. awesome. the music worked very well too. I couldn't stop wondering all thru the show why I haven't to bothered to buy "aw c'mon.." yet, or why I'd never heard of the movie. it looked fantastic, amazing sets etc. and it was more or less sold out so dunno what the dicount ticket thang was all about..

:) x10

plug said:
this was so worth going to.
:) x10

I agree! This was fantastic! A real once off very special kind of thing...apparently they're not allowed to perform it in the U.S. because FOX liked their idea of doing new music for the film soooo much that THEY'VE decided to do it themselves...Lambchop actually had to PAY Fox big bucks to be able to perform this and tour with it in Europe. Bastards!

Heard a rumour about a possible French bootleg DVD...let me know if anyone hears about it!

Plug, I was in the balcony after the show yelling "Plug! Where are you Plug?" I hope you didn't hear me.

Also, met two twins after the show from Carrigaline, did I spell that right? They were about 18, their Dad met them after the show...well, I'm trying to find these dudes if anyone knows who I might be talking about. They made a mix CD for Kurt and Lambchop think they lost it... :( So, if anyone knows two twin brothers from that place...who were at the Lambchop gig in Cork, let me know that too! Thanks, Thomas

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back