Killing Joke tonite (1 Viewer)

thickaspigshit

Website
Visit site
Any one going to this. I got the album a couple of months ago and its pretty good stuff.
Bit dark but grows onyou and theyve been going a few years so should know what theyre doing.

Anyone seen em before 'back in the day' I expect ill be told they were brilliant years ago and shite nowadays but I dont care. Itss new music (to me) and im gonna fuckin enjoy it.

Anyway..

What's the poundage?

thickaspigshit said:
Any one going to this. I got the album a couple of months ago and its pretty good stuff.
Bit dark but grows onyou and theyve been going a few years so should know what theyre doing.

Anyone seen em before 'back in the day' I expect ill be told they were brilliant years ago and shite nowadays but I dont care. Itss new music (to me) and im gonna fuckin enjoy it.

Anyway..

I think its 20 europeans, down from 25 originally i believe due to being fuckin extortionate.

But then I reckon it should be VFM.

Not sure who is support

First time I ever heard of ticket prices being reduced before a gig. Doesn't augur well, I think. It's as if they suspect it'll be shite. "Arrah, go on, we'll make it €20. It's not like we'll be any use."

Then again, I am curious...

thickaspigshit said:
I think its 20 europeans, down from 25 originally i believe due to being fuckin extortionate.

But then I reckon it should be VFM.

Not sure who is support

Might just be me and my memory.

I thought it was advertised as 25 a cpla month ago. I could be totally hatstand about it tho.

def. going - should be a cool gig

and for anyone that wants it, the obligatory speil:

KILLING JOKE Confirm Irish Dates -

With a brand new self-titled album just released (featuring long-time
fan, Foo
Fighter Dave Grohl on drums), KILLING JOKE have just confirmed two
Irish dates
- the Temple Bar Music Centre on October 14th, and The Limelight,
Belfast on
October 15th.

Tickets for the Temple Bar Music Centre date are ?25 (inc. booking
fee) and are
on sale now from Soundcellar (Nassau St, D.2), the Music Centre Box
Office
(tel: 01 6709202) and Ticketmaster and usual outlets nationwide.

The next single to be released from 'Killing Joke' is 'Seeing Red' -
out
September 26th through the Santuary label (now also home to Morrissey,
Spirualized, and The Undertones).

"Their first album in eight years sees the post-punk outfit
reconvening for an
acerbic mix of polotical dissidence and sonic brutality.. Like the
old days,
only better."
- Rolling Stone

"It's not about reclaiming our throne. Anyone who knows music knows
who's who.
We just know that the time is right for Killing Joke again. And we're
ready."
This time it came easy. We're lean and hungry again; we're all
thinking in the
same way. To me it feels like the first album again. It feels that
fresh. The
lyrics for this album just flowed out of me. Songs like 'Total
Invasion' and
'Blood On Your Hands' are about the corruption you see going on in
the world
every time you switch on the TV. The world is on a knife edge right
now, and
you want to hear music that reflects that. Right now, the world needs
Killing
Joke more than ever."
- Front-man, Jaz Coleman

"Though Nirvana may never reunite in this life, serial-quester Dave
Grohl can
at least give new life to some other old punks. There's justice too,
in that
Kurt Cobain nicked the Joke's 'Eighties' riff wholesale for 'Come As
You Are'.
Killing Joke were always one of post punk's more abrasive combos, and
Grohl has
joined the three original members (Jaz Coleman, Geordie, Youth) for a
frighteningly forceful return to form. Killing Joke's trademark mix of
steamroller rhythms, molten guitars, apocalyptic imagery and
Coleman's gutteral
roar- which makes Joke-lover James Hetfield sound like Charlotte
Church -
couldn't be more perfectly suited to these post-metal, post-punk
times. The
track titles - 'Total Invasion', 'Blood on Your Hands' and 'Dark
Forces' -
prove the man hasn't lost one whit of his righteous fury. History, it
seems,
might finally get the Joke" - X-Ray Mag.

"one of the most influential rock bands of the past 20 years..." -
Kerrang!

Buckrake said:
So... anybody go? Any use?

..yeah me and bryan went. WE got to interview them before hand..really nice people they were too at that point.Jazz is off his nut geordie was a bit more reserved and wasn't that excited about being in Ireland. Apparently they had allways wanted to play here but their old drummer wouldn't do it because he was afraid of being blown up by the I.R.A. ..and then the gig. Jazz looks just like ozzy mixed with alice cooper..the opened with this kinda spinal tapesque fanfare and tons of dry ice(v. cheezy) after making the crowd wait for ages beforehand there was a real tension when the came on(I must point out that I wasn't a huge fan before hand so....) thenn the started playing couldn't hear the drums that weell..the bass was too loud(Imagine me saying that you can guess how loud it was then..) and they went through some old stuff and some new stuff..none of which was played with any real conviction, to my mind the looked really bored(cept jazz who just looked mad.) In between songs the did loads of stupid talking about the north like it was still a huge deal or the eighties or something..at one point he introduced a song like this.." this is something we all sincerly hope happens for your country really soon..CHANGE!" (THat was the name of the song btw.) Cheesy as hell. I just couldn't take the music as seriously as they took themselves and was dissapointed as bugery. THe did a really short set of about 40 mins or so..then legged it..the crowd wanted an encore but it didn't happen so some of the old punk types that were there started fucking pint glasses up at the drumkit as the roadies were getting the gear offstage. Cant see them playing here again if you guys missed it.

5/10 just for nostalgia and seeing half of the punks that used to drink in charlies and the chinaman.

Latex lizzie said:
..yeah me and bryan went. WE got to interview them before hand..really nice people they were too at that point.Jazz is off his nut geordie was a bit more reserved and wasn't that excited about being in Ireland. Apparently they had allways wanted to play here but their old drummer wouldn't do it because he was afraid of being blown up by the I.R.A. ..and then the gig. Jazz looks just like ozzy mixed with alice cooper..the opened with this kinda spinal tapesque fanfare and tons of dry ice(v. cheezy) after making the crowd wait for ages beforehand there was a real tension when the came on(I must point out that I wasn't a huge fan before hand so....) thenn the started playing couldn't hear the drums that weell..the bass was too loud(Imagine me saying that you can guess how loud it was then..) and they went through some old stuff and some new stuff..none of which was played with any real conviction, to my mind the looked really bored(cept jazz who just looked mad.) In between songs the did loads of stupid talking about the north like it was still a huge deal or the eighties or something..at one point he introduced a song like this.." this is something we all sincerly hope happens for your country really soon..CHANGE!" (THat was the name of the song btw.) Cheesy as hell. I just couldn't take the music as seriously as they took themselves and was dissapointed as bugery. THe did a really short set of about 40 mins or so..then legged it..the crowd wanted an encore but it didn't happen so some of the old punk types that were there started fucking pint glasses up at the drumkit as the roadies were getting the gear offstage. Cant see them playing here again if you guys missed it.

5/10 just for nostalgia and seeing half of the punks that used to drink in charlies and the chinaman.
Did you see the support band? I really like them, did you?

hmmm. .... was never an enormous fan either but that sounds kinda like fun in a freaky sneery shitty way. strangely i'm more sorry i didn't go on hearing they were shit than i would have been on hearing they were pretty good. what the fuck is wrong with me?

Anne OMalley said:
First time I ever heard of ticket prices being reduced before a gig.
A Richie Hawtin gig in Dublin had its price lowered after pressure from ie-dance. By 2 euro, I think. It was the 2nd time he was playing in less than a year and the price had gone up by something like 25%.

Buckrake said:
hmmm. .... was never an enormous fan either but that sounds kinda like fun in a freaky sneery shitty way. strangely i'm more sorry i didn't go on hearing they were shit than i would have been on hearing they were pretty good. what the fuck is wrong with me?

..I know what you mean..but It was only funny for a while...I would have been rightly pissed off if I hadda spent 25 blips though. Sorry al didn't see the support band.

Latex lizzie said:
..I know what you mean..but It was only funny for a while...I would have been rightly pissed off if I hadda spent 25 blips though. Sorry al didn't see the support band.

not totally sure what i'm talkin bout ...BUT... wasn't there a monty python sketch where during world war one english scientists invented a joke so funny that people died laughing on hearing it and they had it translated into german and had it played over speakers onto the battlefield... maybe killing joke are trying to be funny.. but so funny as to kill you.. they should be called 'not even remotely dangerous joke'... no seriously what the fuck is wrong with me?

Indeed'n there was such a sketch. The inventor of the joke was one Ernest Scribbler. The genius of it is when the Germans, having lost entire divisions of men to the deadly joke, finally get hold of the text. Naturally, they translate it into English and attempt to use it against its creators. However, the joke is not funny in German and Jerry comes a cropper.

Chocs away! Warm the kettle, mumsy, we're coming home for tea!

Buckrake said:
not totally sure what i'm talkin bout ...BUT... wasn't there a monty python sketch where during world war one english scientists invented a joke so funny that people died laughing on hearing it and they had it translated into german and had it played over speakers onto the battlefield...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back