Kate Bush - Hounds of Love (1985) (1 Viewer)

The Big Sky is my favourite song on there and therefore the BEST song. Shut up Shaney.
Yeah well it was one of only two songs off the album that she didn't play at her gigs so even she thinks it's it's not up to scratch. She couldn't be more wrong if she didn't play Mother Stands For Comfort for the same reason.

I agree with Bernie about Cloudbursting. I also feel the same way about the title track, especially when she sings the line about finding the fox. My earliest memory of Kate Bush is seeing Hounds of Love on Top of the Pops when I was 8 or 9 and I've been a fan since. The opening drums and synths of Running Up That Hill are very exciting.

Hounds of Love is easily one of my top 5 songs of all time. Perfect from start to finish.

Cloudbusting and Running Up that Hill are also fantastic.

Must listen to the whole thing tomorrow to remind me about the others. I think they seemed a bit misty to me in my less senior days.

'jig of life' reminds me strongly of wat tyler's 'the little people'

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Jig of Life is great!

Waking the Witch as well. Two very silly tracks really. The Jig of Life kind of sounds like a comedy number from the Princess Bride or Willow or something. Did it make any sense live when she was acting it out?

I love all the what I assume is fretless bass throughout the album. I just kind of assumed it was Mick Karn but it isn't, although he appears on some other stuff by her.

Watching You Without Me and The Morning Fog are quite touching songs.

Waking the Witch as well. Two very silly tracks really. The Jig of Life kind of sounds like a comedy number from the Princess Bride or Willow or something. Did it make any sense live when she was acting it out?

I love all the what I assume is fretless bass throughout the album. I just kind of assumed it was Mick Karn but it isn't, although he appears on some other stuff by her.

Watching You Without Me and The Morning Fog are quite touching songs.
Everything was silly when she did it live, especially the comedy pieces, and I never really thought of it as a silly piece before that. As for sense, the gigs were not the place to find it. I had never listened to the lyrics in the word for word way she acted them out. Totally panto, it was.

Anyway, The bass is deadly, it's one of the defining sounds of her 80s music.

Gave this a listen last night for the first time in ages.
I'd kind of forgotten all about that Ninth Wave side - the concept side. It says something about her own view of this record that she made that such a centre piece of her recent appearances (which I'm sorry now I didn't get to see).
I no longer remember when I became aware of this album, but seeing the video for Cloudbustin' (as well as hearing the song) really made an impression on me and got under my skin. I loved the drumming. It must have been on MTUSA? A great tune that I remember got very heavy rotation. I was intrigued by the lyrics, what on earth was she singing about? Yoyo's, hiding her daddy, making rain and the sinister government men, whatever all that was about I loved it.
Years ago I used to feel this album had a sort of resemblance in it's production and sound to Bowie's Scary Monsters, and I wondered if Bush had been influenced by that album. Both had big sounds, big hits and yet both were very particular to their makers and also were full of impenetrable lyrics.
Unlike Bowie's album though, I don't think HOL has aged all that well; the production is sooooooo 80s but I guess you can decide to think that that's a positive. I'm guessing the Fairlight Synth must have been the go to piece of studio kit technology of the day - it's all over this album - all those weird noise percussion bits on Mother Stands for Comfort, for example, which just sound dated and pretty bad to my ears, though the song is great.
Given Prince's death last week, I was just thinking that Watching You Without Me sounds like something he might have done, in a way. The drum sound is very him.
The Diddly-idle bits of the album are always a dodgy area for me, though I don't hate them so much and I really love The Big Sky.
There's so much detail on this album that it warrants and stands up to repeated listenings. It's one of those "big production" albums of the 80s for me, along with Talk Talk's Colour of Spring, that are actually really fucking good.
Anyway, just some initial thoughts.
More listening to do!

Gave this a listen last night for the first time in ages.
I'd kind of forgotten all about that Ninth Wave side - the concept side. It says something about her own view of this record that she made that such a centre piece of her recent appearances (which I'm sorry now I didn't get to see).
I no longer remember when I became aware of this album, but seeing the video for Cloudbustin' (as well as hearing the song) really made an impression on me and got under my skin. I loved the drumming. It must have been on MTUSA? A great tune that I remember got very heavy rotation. I was intrigued by the lyrics, what on earth was she singing about? Yoyo's, hiding her daddy, making rain and the sinister government men, whatever all that was about I loved it.
It's about German psychologist, William Reich, who was arrested by the US government for having some radical ideas, told from the point of view of his son with whom he had a very close relationship. They invented rain making machines together called "cloudbusters" on the family farm which was called Orgonon.
Cloudbusting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's about German psychologist, William Reich, who was arrested by the US government for having some radical ideas, told from the point of view of his son with whom he had a very close relationship. They invented rain making machines together called "cloudbusters" on the family farm which was called Orgonon.
Cloudbusting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If only I'd know that in 1985!
:)

Great piece travispickle.

The album sounds of its time alright but I wouldn't say it sounds gimmicky or dated to me at all. I really like the fairlight sound in general on here. Besides, there's nothing worse than an album that doesn't even have the guts to sound modern, sure you may as well go and listen to youtubers doing ukulele versions, or Placebo's "tasteful" cover of Running up that Hill (got into a fight with a friend about six months ago who was surprised that I didn't just agree that their version was obviously an improvement). Fuck that, gimme the 80's production any day.

Here, how amazing a line in a pop song is "If I only could make a deal with God"? It's be so easy for it to be the most pompous thing ever but within the spare music and vocals... wow. The song suggests so very much without having to blatantly come out and spell exactly what it's talking about.

The entire 9th Wave suite I'm slightly iffy about, slightly. I won't turn it off or anything but I do cringe a bit during the spoken word parts (sometimes with dodgy stage Irish accents). And also at anyone calling a song "Jig of Life"... Christ no. The good points far outweigh anything I'm unsure about though.

And as for Big Sky.... man, it sounds like a thousand Kate Bush's all trying to shout over each other because they confused some clouds with seeing God. It's all my best days ever all rolled into one moment.

Pause for the jet...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back