Just Signed up for Twitter (3 Viewers)

I mean, seriously, you could use this rationale to justify literally anything. It's some hardcore nihilism and based on what you write on here you do actually care about things.
sorry @7 - No tomorrow , didn't mean to make that too personal if you think it was, I just get a little upset when people throw their hands in the air and decide nothing can ever change. Makes me despair, I fear they may be right.

I'm not too worried.

I'm giving out about it now which means twitter will be on it in a year or so.
classic your avatar post.

I mean, seriously, you could use this rationale to justify literally anything. It's some hardcore nihilism and based on what you write on here you do actually care about things.
I care about lots of things - the horror in Syria, Ireland being run by an insider elite and a feckless public service, that we never got a sequel to Haywire - but I just have very little hope that the threats the planet and humanity face will be adequately addressed, or if it's even possible to do so.

I suppose that I'm happy to be alive and I love life, but I'm also glad I don't have kids given what's coming down the road.

Maybe everything will work out though and I'm looking at things slanted.

This kind of sums it up

View attachment 13470
So there's a campaign going on to get people to unfollow Graham Linehan

Look at this shit - I'm on a fucking list
1580761456457.png

I follow plenty of dopes, arseholes and deranged shitbags on there - it is half the point of Twitter!
I specifically follow Trump loonies so I can see whatever shite they're on about.
But there are others too - who I think haven't a clue - that I enjoy reading cos I know how much better I am than them.

Following someone is not an endorsement. Retweeting is not an endorsement.
Why is everything on the internet like a poxy schoolyard?

These people making the list and carrying the torches are the exact fuckers who will speak earnestly about us wanting to get out of our echo chambers etc etc

There's a side of Irish Twitter that is great and helped pass SSM and Repeal, but there's another side that are a bunch of crybaby saps

It isn't an endorsement, its amplification. Gemmtrails, Trump + others build profile entirely on being a household name by outraged people. Even the people making these lists fit in the same venn diagram.

These people making the list and carrying the torches are the exact fuckers who will speak earnestly about us wanting to get out of our echo chambers etc etc

There's a side of Irish Twitter that is great and helped pass SSM and Repeal, but there's another side that are a bunch of crybaby saps

I've said it loads of times but just repeating for the craic, that part of twitter is the modern day catholic church. Using a set of virtues to arbitrate judgement on others from positions that cannot be argued with in the present day. I'm pro choice and pro SSM but there is a gang embedding themselves in those movements who'd have been the same crew throwing holy water at you 40 years ago. There is an almost daily race to take ownership of whatever is trending and modernly virtuous. It kinda makes me ill to watch tbh.

It isn't an endorsement, its amplification. Gemmtrails, Trump + others build profile entirely on being a household name by outraged people. Even the people making these lists fit in the same venn diagram.

I've said it loads of times but just repeating for the craic, that part of twitter is the modern day catholic church. Using a set of virtues to arbitrate judgement on others from positions that cannot be argued with in the present day. I'm pro choice and pro SSM but there is a gang embedding themselves in those movements who'd have been the same crew throwing holy water at you 40 years ago. There is an almost daily race to take ownership of whatever is trending and modernly virtuous. It kinda makes me ill to watch tbh.

It's a rolling rally of daily hysteria

It reminds me of the reactions to Piss Christ and Mapplethorpe
I thought we were on the right side then

I saw that anti-Glinner thing yesterday, which he naturally loves of course. It strikes me that these people really overvalue what Twitter is and means. Just because they spend every waking moment putting the world to rights on it does not mean they are affecting real change.
I could have asked everyone in the shop this morning what they think of Glinner and his message and none of them would have known what I was talking about.
But those people are probably not on twitter and if they are they have only a hundred followers so who cares what they think.

I do realise that the current president of the USA might beg to differ on the "reach" that twitter has

So there's a campaign going on to get people to unfollow Graham Linehan

Look at this shit - I'm on a fucking list
View attachment 13477

I follow plenty of dopes, arseholes and deranged shitbags on there - it is half the point of Twitter!
I specifically follow Trump loonies so I can see whatever shite they're on about.
But there are others too - who I think haven't a clue - that I enjoy reading cos I know how much better I am than them.

I had a conversation with a trans friend about following people like glinner (I have 41 people that I follow who follow him, which I just found out, and I really don't know why - I personally have him blocked, because I find nothing interesting, shocking or worth talking about in what he says, its just the same old tired transphobia). Not only does it help to give a platform for his hate, but it can also signal to trans folk that they are not safe with you. It might not mean anything to you to follow someone like Glinner - though I don't really get a hate follow, tbh - but it can mean a lot to a marginalised person who wants to know where they are safe in online spaces. Just a thought.

I saw that anti-Glinner thing yesterday, which he naturally loves of course. It strikes me that these people really overvalue what Twitter is and means. Just because they spend every waking moment putting the world to rights on it does not mean they are affecting real change.
I could have asked everyone in the shop this morning what they think of Glinner and his message and none of them would have known what I was talking about.
But those people are probably not on twitter and if they are they have only a hundred followers so who cares what they think.
have to say I agree with this. He has a lot of followers and spouting shite to that many people isn't great. But twitter is a series of bubbles and echo chambers, so it's not like he's gonna influence anyone. More like, get agreement from people who already agreed with him.

But twitter in general pisses me off greatly. Not just pricks like Glinner, but even the 'woke' brigade. Get a load of followers and the self-importance goes off the scale. I've found myself muting or blocking a load of people who'd I'd generally tend to agree with on a lot of things, but the fucking arrogance from a lot of them just grates.

I'm rebuilding my own echo chamber and I only want puppies, kittens and shit music in it.

I think I only hate follow Andrew Lilico. Certainly I've found my non-existent twitter presence on some block lists for following people before (Kat Rosenfield, Jesse Singal), them's the breaks though.

I wince when I see grown adults adopting that twitter slang; "x-is fire" "x- is a look" "same energy" etc.
"Woke" has gone mainstream, which I guess I will just have to accept.

I just get a little upset when people throw their hands in the air and decide nothing can ever change. Makes me despair, I fear they may be right
Things do change, but it all seems to be so random. FWIW I've pretty much given up on the idea that I personally have any power to effect change ... also I'm at the stage where I'm no longer sure that I'm right about anything, so even if I could effect change I don't know if it'd be change for the better

Last edited:
Things do change, but it all seems to be so random. FWIW I've pretty much given up on the idea that I personally have any power to effect change ... also I'm at the stage where I'm no longer sure that I'm right about anything, so even if I could effect change I don't know if it'd be change for the better
I came across a religious idea the other day, orthopraxy, I think it sums up a lot of how I think, even though i'm not religious. You keep showing up and doing what you know is right, even if you fail your whole life, because the world is bigger than you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back