Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures (1979) (3 Viewers)

wat the fak?

so only recorded certain beats at a time, leaving the others out? that is twisting my melon man #Happy Mondays
Yeah. So the story went that Hannett loved recording Joy Division because they hadn't a notion, he could tell them to do ANYTHING, and they just did it because they still didn't know any better.

Just looking into this and 12 thousand pounds! Wow. As expensive as a house.

Reading a bit of this and imagining how Joy Division would have sounded if they had a Fairlight in 1979 and all their songs were full of crappy sound effects of stuff smashing.

this was the first time i ever saw one

edit: I probably should have looked for the original version that was broadcast on the South Bank Show.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Just looking into this and 12 thousand pounds! Wow. As expensive as a house.

Reading a bit of this and imagining how Joy Division would have sounded if they had a Fairlight in 1979 and all their songs were full of crappy sound effects of stuff smashing.

The Fairlight was pretty amazing in the right hands, Coil’s first couple of albums were made largely with Fairlight. Sleazy knew Peter Gabriel from doing his album covers and they got a lend of it (which is ridiculous for some no-name queer experimental band about anal sex and the occult). I mean the albums sound dated but not in a bad way. To me anyway.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Ah i'm only having fun, just Joy Division were a small band on a small label with no famous friends, hardly gonna be using Peter Gabriel cocaine money technology!

Sign O The Times by Prince is apparently built using Fairlight stock sounds (because he had only just got one and didn't know how to do anything with it yet) and, well, yes I am a fan of that song.

I think your point stands though, although Joy Division used synths a bit, the Fairlight requires a mindset that they really needed to build up to for New Order. I know Ian Curtis was into Throbbing Gristle so I presume a sample-driven Joy Division would have been a lot more bleak and lack the decent songs.

Fairlight extravaganza

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back