Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures (1979) (2 Viewers)

It's definitely the sonics of it that took the most amount of time to sink in with me - I had never really heard 70's post-punk stuff when I first listened so that's what I was hearing, rather than what makes JD so different from the other 70's post-punk bands.

Listening to it now, it's not following any obvious rulebook on how to make a good sounding record, it's all so thin and flat and enervating - I can imagine a song like Insight was roaring when played live but here everything is underpowered and missing half the frequencies... no loss by my reckoning considering it's not like there was a lack of roaring noise bands at the time (or now). My understanding is that this was all Martin Hannett in search of some abstract sound he figured they were too thick to understand. Without him they'd likely just have been just another so-so gloomy post-punk band with a few decent highpoints.

It's a real case of the right people (with the right levels of skill) in the right place at the right time, unrepeatable except as tribute, pastiche or parody. There was no way they could have kept it up much longer either.

My understanding is that this was all Martin Hannett in search of some abstract sound he figured they were too thick to understand.

My understanding of your understanding is that Hannett was obsessed with how factories sounded, which would have beeen more industrial/mechanical at the time and he wanted to make the band sound like machinery in a big massive factory.

My understanding of your understanding is that Hannett was obsessed with how factories sounded, which would have beeen more industrial/mechanical at the time and he wanted to make the band sound like machinery in a big massive factory.
Hmm, maybe a big massive factory in the distance? That whole "it sounds like Manchester" thing?

Normally I'm encouraged by people who are successful despite being poor singers, seeing as I'm a poor singer myself, but ... well, for example the big long 'weeeeee' at 4 mins into "I remember nothing". Good god man, could you not fucking sing it a bit closer to in tune?

edit: I like the singing on Warsaw fwiw

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

My understanding is that this was all Martin Hannett in search of some abstract sound he figured they were too thick to understand. Without him they'd likely just have been just another so-so gloomy post-punk band with a few decent highpoints.
Hannett is a huge part of what makes Joy Division so good. Equally, they were the perfect band to bring out the best in him - these albums are head and shoulders above his other production jobs.

Honestly, I don’t know how anyone finds fault with this or Closer. Curtis can’t sing? Perfectly normal rock song? Are you listening to the right record?

Like @pavlos I went through a long stretch of not listening to them because I essentially lived inside their songs for most of my teens. I started listening to them again last year and fully expected to find them to be far less engaging now that I’ve way more exposure to strange and intense music but fuck me these albums still hit me like a thunderbolt. “She’s Lost Control” is particularly striking given that I developed epilepsy in intervening years.

Just had the first song in the car. TBH I expected something more radical, it's a perfectly normal rock song.
My mistake, for some reason I went straight to song 2, Day of the Lords. Song 1, Disorder has the oddness I wanted. Nutty bassline.
Anyway, got to the end and my first opinion stands, decent rock music. Curtis even swings now and then, like Glen Danzig. Roll on more listens.

Having listened to this album in a good few years.Have it on now. Its very good

I'd like this record more if it didn't sound so bad. Especially the drums.
And I'm not usuallt put off by how records sound too much at all.
It sounds deadly, the production is a big part of the effect - it sounds like a whole new world. I like the early punkier demos/EP but the icy, dystopian future sound is years ahead of most things.

I finally made it all the way through Disorder. Only took three attempts. What the fuck is up with that shitty bass playing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back