Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures (1979) (2 Viewers)

JOY DIVISION ARE A GREATEST HITS BAND

there, I said it
LOL

For what it's worth when I was first trying to get into them I would have said the same - these albums have an element of the uncanny that keeps creeping back though, there's something happening just out of sight (sound?), beyond the band even, that is always threatening to come to the surface. I don't play the albums that often but always worth it when I do.

I always liked Substance way WAY more than the albums. I didn’t know anything about Ian Curtis when I heard them, but was really disappointed to find out that they were basically New Order as they came across as real thicks.

I think it’s a lot easier to separate the legend from the music for Unknown Pleasures but harder for Closer. Between the albums, he developed epilepsy, started on the medication, had his affair, etc. I can’t remember when his daughter was born but his biography and Closer pretty much go hand in hand. And it’s a much heavier album because of it. I’ve never been able to listen to that one unbiased.

yeah, he had a lot to deal with from late '78 (first seizure) onward.
Natalie was born in April 1979.

without epilepsy and poor treatment for it he would probably have
been able to cope with the rest of his life.
(see also: getting married very young, relationship with Annik,
band going full time in late '79 and apparently he had a fear of
flying into the bargain...)

he certainly wasn't Mr. Gloom and Doom until he got ill was more my point.

he was in a position in 79-80 where his only real option was to stop
playing live (not viable for a band) and his experience meeting people
with severe epilepsy through his civil service job dealing with disabled
people meant he knew exactly how bad things could get.

'Ceremony' which may have been the last song they wrote is much
more upbeat and maybe they already had plans move on musically ?

"Great music is great music..." as Duke Ellington said.
OK i'm really labouring the point here...

I only realized yesterday that Annik Honore died in 2014 (cancer).

Years ago (18-20?) there was a tribute to Joy Division at the TBMC who were absolutely amazing. I don’t do tribute acts and this set the bar pretty high for any I’ve seen since (all have fallen short). I’ve a vague memory that @Hector Grey was part of the band, maybe some other Jimmy Cakes too.

Years ago (18-20?) there was a tribute to Joy Division at the TBMC who were absolutely amazing. I don’t do tribute acts and this set the bar pretty high for any I’ve seen since (all have fallen short). I’ve a vague memory that @Hector Grey was part of the band, maybe some other Jimmy Cakes too.
That was indeed me. No other Cakers though. They've no fucking taste.

I thought Paul might have been on keyboards but clearly my memory fails me. Excellent night though!
Christ, we couldn't afford Paul! Nah, when we were kids we did a Joy Div gig to commemorate the 10th anniversary of Ian C's death. White Horse, 1990. Absolute fucking shambles. We thought we should do it properly, once we'd learned to tune our instruments. It was great fun. I was a Hooky disciple in my youth, so it was livin' the dream stuff.

I met Hooky once. Nice fella.

I like it but not as much as I thought I did. I never really paid any attention to Joy Division until about 2010 when I got this and Closer and listened a few times to each. I still think Closer is a lot better. Some of their songs I knew from along the way and I knew how Curtis died but I hadn't read any books or watched any movies/documentaries for them, didn't give a fuck about New Order and didn't really have any sense of mystique about JD or anything like that so when I picked up the cut-price CDs I was quite impressed with the sound as the vibe and the songs. I mentally gave them a good mark and basically forgot about them again until now. Now I find myself noting how the singing goes off key and the way he sings "weeeee" etc . I still think the bass and drums are perfectly fine. In general this more attentive listening over the last few days has took the shine off it a bit for me but it's still cool.

He flipped me off at Landsdowne Road when New Order were supporting the Red Hot Shitty Shitters. I had given him a big thumbs up because the crowd were booing them because their songs were too long. He thought I was taking the piss!
Well, you were at a Chilli Peppers gig, so in fairness....

my friend was at a Chilli Peppers / New Order gig at Lansdowne where one
of the RHCP guys came out and played a JD song with New Order.
does this ring a bell ? he couldn't remember what song though...

I know. I have seen them three times now because either they were supporting or being supported by other bands that I wanted to see (e.g. New Order, who were brilliant that time).
that happened me twice.

once in the phoenix park when they were 'supported' by the Pixies. I left after 2 RHCP songs. And once in lansdowne road when they were 'supported' by Teenage Fanclub. Kings of Leon also played that day (their first album was just out). I stayed for the full KOL set. They were shite. Then I left after 2 RHCP songs. I could be mistaken but I think the wahtmans might have also been on that bill (watmans or mainline, or humanzi, or hte mighty stef).

that happened me twice.

once in the phoenix park when they were 'supported' by the Pixies. I left after 2 RHCP songs. And once in lansdowne road when they were 'supported' by Teenage Fanclub. Kings of Leon also played that day (their first album was just out). I stayed for the full KOL set. They were shite. Then I left after 2 RHCP songs. I could be mistaken but I think the wahtmans might have also been on that bill (watmans or mainline, or humanzi, or hte mighty stef).
I was at the the pixies one. Also left after 2 rhcp songs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back