Joanna Newsom played the Sugar Club in 2004 (1 Viewer)

Can't remember seeing any camera flashes. Crowd were quiet when they needed to be. We had fantastic seats. Add to that the best Newsom gig I've yet witnessed, and all in all it was a fantastic evening. The band were wonderful, yer man Ryan Francesconi particularly. Peach Plum Pear, and starting with Bridges and Balloons were great, but The songs from Divers were the highlights for me. Then Good Intentions Paving Company too. Just amazing. I wish my wife didn't really dislike her.

I don't remember it at Marlay Park and didn't know she played here for Ys, pretty sure I was on the hunt for her gigs at that time as I was obsessed with the album when it came out. I had only missed the apocryphal Sugar Club gig by a few weeks or something when I got the first album.
I only really started listening to her when Ys came out so went to that Olympia show fairly clueless. I was utterly blown away that night and have been hooked pretty much ever since.

That night a guy called Ned Collete supported her. An Aussie based out in Berlin. I bought his album at the merch desk that night and still adore it to this day (though some of his more recent stuff ain't great).

And she had Roy Harper support her in the Grand Canal theatre, and the fantastic Bert Jansch in Marlay Park. Shame Robin Pecknold wasn't better.

And she had Roy Harper support her in the Grand Canal theatre, and the fantastic Bert Jansch in Marlay Park. Shame Robin Pecknold wasn't better.
I wasn't fussed on Roy Harper, not bad but not really my cup of tea, but seeing Bert Jansch was such a treat. Still can't believe that I saw her play "Emily" and forgot all about it.

Can't remember seeing any camera flashes. Crowd were quiet when they needed to be. We had fantastic seats. Add to that the best Newsom gig I've yet witnessed, and all in all it was a fantastic evening. The band were wonderful, yer man Ryan Francesconi particularly. Peach Plum Pear, and starting with Bridges and Balloons were great, but The songs from Divers were the highlights for me. Then Good Intentions Paving Company too. Just amazing. I wish my wife didn't really dislike her.

Yeah, I was up in the balcony on the left, and only a couple of people took one or two pictures and left it at that. Magic gig, completely drew me in for the whole thing.

Yes, it was a brilliant gig. Great to watch such excellent musicians being so versatile. Every song seemed to have a different line-up of instruments. Definitely one to watch from the balcony.

Highlghts for me were the solo encore of Sawdust and Diamonds and the redition of California (which is a song I never really warned to that much before). I love the new record, but I think I have played it so much recently, the songs are now a bit too familiar so it was nice to hear ones I hadn't listened to in a while.

I was back a bit (in row G) and the drumming wasn't too intrusive from there. Thought it was pretty good actually. Thought the sound for the Olympia was surprisingly great. Having their own sound man obviously played a part.

I was secretly hoping for Clam Crab Cockle Cowrie, but the chances were as slim as it gets. The short ones don't get much of a showing live. Pity really, but a very minor complaint obviously.

In fairness to Robin P, he seemed like a decent sort. Knowing the songs in advance might have helped. And his version of Tiger Mountain Peasant Song was great.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back