jimis music store (1 Viewer)

finally made it out here. great little shop. by a mile the nicest selection of guitars and amps i've seen in ireland. jimi (i assume it was jimi!) is a lovely guy too. happy to talk guitars with me for ages.

It's a great shop. i have seen in ireland.
There are the nicest selection of guitars.
I hope jimi is a lovely guy. He look's also good.

It's taken me until today to get out to this shop.

for some reason I expected it to be bigger. Still,loads of nice stuff.

Bought a new bridge for one of my guitars.

In vaguely related news, sad to report that Aladdin's Amps shut down just before Christmas. I only actually went there for the first time in December to get my amp looked at, guy was a total gent and the place was a treasure trove of amazing amps.

Sadly, it seems people don't collect good gear anymore (and don't need it maintained - his bread and butter) so he had to call it quits.

Pity

Sadly, it seems people don't collect good gear anymore

Pity

That's kinda surprising,seems everyone who plays wants some fancy pants boutique stuff nowadays.I'd have thought here would be plenty of business. But I've nothing to compare it to.

Have to bring the bridge back. One of the adjustment screws is damaged. Thankfully I checked before taking the old one off.

It's probably also related to how amps are made now, with PCBs and such. it's a pain to fix 'em.

Pcbs are fine and have been used since at least the early 70s in amps but I agree it's lowest common denominator manufacturing using pcbs is probably a major factor here.

oh yeah, PCBs are used in boutique stuff too, i mean the amount of amps with built in digital effects etc. I dunno, you know as well as me, there plenty of people out there buying and selling vintage gear.

they make me awful paranoid. i've got a fine workhorse amp but i get the impression that its about as serviceable as a 1euro watch. i.e. if it breaks it either means replacing about 50% of what makes it work at a pointless level of expense, or throwing it. i sorta like the idea that if one tiny bit breaks you can put in another one without throwing out loads of stuff. for that reason i've been humming/hawing about upgrading or downgrading it forever.

oh yeah, PCBs are used in boutique stuff too, i mean the amount of amps with built in digital effects etc. I dunno, you know as well as me, there plenty of people out there buying and selling vintage gear.

I knew what you meant just seeing too much anti pcb stuff around, I've two 70s heads on pcb (Simms Watts and Laney so not exactly boutique) and both a really easy to work on. I think there's also a growing number of people who are working own amps as there's been a huge demystification of tube amp no doubt helped along by the internet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back